Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So I'm learning to play guitar

Well, while you are getting new strings just get the place to re-string it for you if you are not comfortable in doing so yourself. I usually just use a tuning fork to get the first string in tune, and then just use harmonics to get the others in to a standard tuning.

Also, just learn to read tabs and learn the songs you want to play. As you get more comfortable with your fingers, you can then start learning proper techniques, scales, and all that - very important that you do though. However, force yourself to use ALL your fingers on the fretboard! I see so many n00b guitarists just put their pinky finger away.

Be as diverse as you can in your learning material, that way it'll be easier to find your own style of playing.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Banned
    Blog Entries

So now I can play five chords and do the intro for 'everybody hurts' by R.E.M. Should I be buying a capo?

Blog Entries

Yes.

there was a picture here

Yeah, don't get the dodgy stretchy-material ones. Spend a little extra and get a proper clamp-like one.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

smurf that, get a spider capo.

I forgot all about spider capos, they are awesome and I always wanted one. XD

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

It will be impossible to pick up any melody (as well as sounding like horrible) if you don't have it in proper tune. You can pick up a decent guitar tuner for about £10-15 at any music shop, just ask the the guy at the counter and I'm sure he will tell you how it works.

I thought myself to play the banjo, having never played the guitar, but the dynamics are the same with any string instrument. The best advice I can give, and what has worked for me is just to make sure you don't pick up any bad habits from the start. Make sure you work on your finger placement. The best way for beginners to pick this up is too go along one chord at a time with your fingers and strum along.

What really worked for me also was to insert little stickers under each string so you can quickly learn off the chords. Having a diagram in front of you is very helpful, just draw one out. Anything else you need to know really is here.

Best of luck.

Str8 Pimpin'