Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678913 ... LastLast

Thread: EoFF: Dwarf Fortress - Spoonproblems. Also, goblin problems.

Here to offer my skills an an Intimidator and/or Liar

edit: oh if demon dude is already a Broker and we don't need more I can throw on my overalls and be a farmer if need be

Articles
    Blog Entries

If I could be a surgeon that would be preferable, but if 1 doctor is enough for now then can you make me a Building Designer?

Obviously I aim to be a highly paid dwarf.

EDIT: Yeah, screw it, just put me down for building designer. I have shaky hands anyway, you don't want me coming at you with poorly crafted scalpels.
    Last edited by Pheesh; 07-11-2011 at 07:12 PM.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Like before, I want to be a marksdwarf. If I need a civilian job I guess it would be hunting since this utilizes my crossbow, killing 2 birds with one stone. First, if we need food at the start I can hunt this will also give me exp using my crossbow which when activated as a marksdwarf should continue over. Of course, once I hit champion forget the idea of me hunting anything less than Kobold thieves!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

So, Psy, you starting? What kind of surroundings you going for? =o
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

I'm trying. The problem is, Dwarves keep smurfing being wiped out during the world generation. I think I need to do a little bit of modding to toughen them up.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

During world generation? Is there no setting for dwarf population? You'd think that'd be something they'd put in. xD Oh well.

EDIT: Try decreasing the number of beasts in the world, there's a setting for that and a quick read says...
    Quote Originally Posted by DF Wiki
    Number of Beasts
    This controls the number of megabeasts such as dragons, titans, etc, that exist at the beginning of the world. They can later die (get killed) due to historical events, so the longer the history the more likely some of these will die.

The number of beasts does not appear to impact how often your fortress will be attacked by beasts in fortress mode. In adventure mode it means it will be easier to find more megabeasts. If set very low then you may actually run out of beasts during a game.

Since beasts can attack civilizations, more beasts may reduce the population of the world a little bit.
    EDIT: Alternatively, try aiming for a younger world so they don't have a chance to wipe out everyone.

Hmmm... what should Værn be? A brewer, perhaps? Anybody who wants ale will have to worship me and swear their undying loyalty. In a dwarf colony I'll be able to ascend to godhood in no time flat

Articles

I set it so that Dwarves are friendly chaps who don't want to hurt anyone and won't go around punching dragons and whatnot. And live for 600 years. ...and there's still only 79 left or something. It'll do. We can roleplay our fort as the last desperate hope of the Dwarves.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Nice. I don't even know how you check population, in all honesty. I mean, there's "Historic figures" and "Dead" - do you just go by that or something?

Articles

The year is 522. Grovegates, the Mountain Halls belonging to the civilization known as the Solitary Axe, is the last great bastion of Dwarvenkind in the world of Eyesonia. The years have not been kind to the stout and industrious creatures who live deep beneath the Earth. Dragons, titans, and other beasts have rampaged against the Dwarven strongholds, seeking jewels and riches. The other great Dwarven halls, Exit Granite, fell to a rebellion of Elven slaves, and is now ruled by Goblins.

The other civilizations have thrived. The Elves find peace and shelter in their forest retreats, living as one with nature. The Humans have spread far and wide, with hamlets and forts dotting the countryside. And the Goblins... the foul Goblins. There are two great Dark Fortresses on the face of Eyesonia. And they are both ruled over by terrors that make even the hardiest Dwarf's blood run cold. Bazsa and Baktur. Brother and sister, some might say. Towering skinless iguanas, their gaunt bodies twisted into humanoid form. The Goblins worship them as Gods, for truly, that is what they are.

King Likot, having ascended to the throne two years ago, has seen the Doom of his people before him. Dwarvenkind must be preserved. A brave expedition of 7 Dwarves strikes out North, into the unchartered wilderness, where the stars are strange and the beasts are unknown. The last hope of Dwarvenkind. They are the Solitary Axe, in more ways than one.

Strike the mothersmurfin' Earth!

Extra info etc:(SPOILER)

This is a political map, of sorts. There are two civilizations of the main species, Elf, Dwarf, Humans and Goblins, represented by the patterned squares. Elves are yellowish, Goblins are green, Humans blue and Dwarves red. As you can see, the Dwarves are not flourishing, with just two squares in the mountains.

There are two Dwarven civs, but only one has any Dwarves left. That is the north-east one, and the one I hope we will play as. The other has had Elves, Humans and Goblins as its leader and is entirely populated by these three species, and yet they still call themselves a Dwarven civilization. They're something of a cultural melting pot, really! I hope we don't get that assigned as ours, as, well... they're not smurfing Dwarves!

Yes the two Goblin civs are both led by Iguana Monsters. I am excited by this.

These are the Gods of our civilization, if you care:

Etur, deity: metals
    Doren Spineiron, deity: mountains, volcanos
    Esrel, deity: wealth, fortresses, war, victory
    Avuz, deity: jewels, minerals
    Kesh, deity: fishing
    G¢smer, deity: the night
    Bocash the Evil Midnight of Scraps, deity: jealousy
    Lemis, deity: salt, oceans, rivers, fish, oaths, laws, order
    Asiz the Light of Rays, deity: day
    Bis¢l the Butterfly of Saturninity, deity: silence

They all take the form of Dwarves, which is boring. I like it when you have like, 7 Dwarf Gods and one who is like, randomly a parrot or something. Oh well.

Penguin populations:
    6432 giant penguins
    18090 penguin men
    11658 emperor penguins
    11256 little penguins
    10452 penguins

Also importantly:
    8040 walruses

There are only 21 pandas, though, and BoB, I am sorry to say, but mooses? 25 of them. On the plus side, though:

114 giant moose
    210 moose men

So that's slightly better!

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Surroundings! Surroundings! Neutral or Evil? Forest or mountainside? Magma? =o I can't wait!

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

On a sidenote, I keep trying to start this game using the Lazy Newb Pack and after spending ages finding the right location, setting up my dwarves, naming my place and everything... for the second time running, it just... isn't running. After hitting 'e' it just is "Not Responding" for a very, very long time. I swear this didn't happen when I just lazily punched in random things a couple of nights ago. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: Tried a 'raw' DF install and it worked without problem so I'm just gonna have to do it all the old fashioned way, one mod and/or graphic pack at a time.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Oh man, I want to ride a Giant Moose!

Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Loony BoB View Post
    On a sidenote, I keep trying to start this game using the Lazy Newb Pack and after spending ages finding the right location, setting up my dwarves, naming my place and everything... for the second time running, it just... isn't running. After hitting 'e' it just is "Not Responding" for a very, very long time. I swear this didn't happen when I just lazily punched in random things a couple of nights ago. I wonder if I'm doing something wrong.

EDIT: Tried a 'raw' DF install and it worked without problem so I'm just gonna have to do it all the old fashioned way, one mod and/or graphic pack at a time.
    You might have inadvertently embarked somewhere with an underground lava waterfall filled with a billion monsters.

Also will hopefully have my turn done (and the thread updated) by Monday at the latest. Obviously I will do it in installments.