Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: V for the PSP

Default V for the PSP

For some reason V is one of my favorite classic FFs and I really would like a psp copy, how much of a possibility would you guys think it is that ports of V and VI will get made for the PSP?

Old school, like an old fool. Flying Mullet's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

5.345%
    Figaro Castle

Its funny that FFIV got three re-releases, two remakes and two sequels while V and VI are mostly forgotten about by Square. I think IV is the weaker of the three personally.

As for V and VI being released on the PSP, I doubt it. But that doesn't mean you can't play V ad VI on your PSP. You can buy the games on PSN and put them on your PSP's memory stick, or you can rip the games yourself if you have the original PS1 discs and convert it to a file the PSP reads. Or you can find a SNES emulator for PSP and play the games there. Just gotta be tactile about this stuff.

OR I can play my Anthology or my Advance version of FFV if I wanted to play it again. But the PSP ports are so sexy and smooth, plus I would like to have a physical copy since Im a collector.
    I think they might release FFV for the PSP on its twentieth birthday, which is next year. It only seems right. Final Fantasy I & II got a port on the twentieth anniversary, and IV got The Complete Collection on its twentieth. I suspect a pattern here.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

One can only hope.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Might have believed it if it just said PSP release, but PS3 is a little bit out to lunch. I remember SE releasing a statement saying that they couldn't do a FF5 release for the DS, that it would require the hardware of the 3DS. BS or not, the fact that they linked a FF5 remake and the 3DS in a press release that wasn't a denial is a fairly good indication that they are at least seriously exploring the possibility of the remake for the 3DS.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Meh, I never really cared for FF III/IV remakes, I would much rather play their 2D counterparts, why they never released the original III still baffles me. I wouldnt mind if they did a FFV remake, but they should still update the graphics of the original for a PSP port. Digital copy or on UMD.

Lets put it this way, I think the PSP ports and the graphics for FF I, II, and IV TCC, are good enough to be the last makeover or facelift for them.
    Last edited by Bandersnatch; 07-21-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Contributions

I loved the FF3/4 remakes, and despised the graphic style of FF4:TCC.

To each his own I guess.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Might have believed it if it just said PSP release, but PS3 is a little bit out to lunch. I remember SE releasing a statement saying that they couldn't do a FF5 release for the DS, that it would require the hardware of the 3DS. BS or not, the fact that they linked a FF5 remake and the 3DS in a press release that wasn't a denial is a fairly good indication that they are at least seriously exploring the possibility of the remake for the 3DS.
    There's no reason why they wouldn't be able to release it for both PSP and PS3. They wouldn't have to make the PS3 version a 3D game or anything, they could just use the same sprites as they used in the PSP version.

Also, it's bulltit that they would need X hardware to remake it. It all depends on how fancy they want the remake to be. Anyway, considering all the earlier games have gotten remakes on their 20th anniversaries, I think there is a real chance that we might get 5 and 6 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandersnatch View Post
    Meh, I never really cared for FF III/IV remakes, I would much rather play their 2D counterparts
    What are you talking about, the FF4 remake is still in 2D.

"What are you talking about, the FF4 remake is still in 2D."

No... FFIV got a legitimate remake on the DS, and it was completely redone.
    &#x202a;Final Fantasy IV DS - Gameplay - Boss#15 - Queen and King of Eblan&#x202c;&rlm; - YouTube

The PSP (Complete Collection) was a PORT of the original, just an overtly polished version, with sort of a, facelift, if you must. Also included was a The After Years, which was a sequel to the original, done in the same graphic style as the orignal FFs, but again polished for todays standards.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Ports reuse the existing resources (graphics, sound etc), remakes have them made anew, such as in FF4 on PSP.

FF4 for GBA is a port, FF4 for PSP is a remake, even if it's still in 2D. Just like the Final Fantasy Origins versions of the first two games were remakes, not ports.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udnqBcb2C0I
    That is so much better that I doubt there is a single sprite shared between the original game and this version. The graphics and audio has been made anew - re-made if you want - therefore the game is a remake.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0Tj5DXd_bA
    Same graphics as on SNES, slightly worse audio quality because the GBA doesn't have as good a sound chip as the SNES had. This is a port.
    Last edited by Mirage; 07-21-2011 at 02:51 PM.

I know TCC looked completely different than the SNES/GBA, but it was still essentially the same other than that. It looks like they just colored over the original game for the PSP remake. While for the DS its pretty certain they started from the ground up. I guess that led me to think of it as more so of a port, even though its not.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Well it certainly doesn't look as different from the original game as the DS version does, but when you think of it, how much different could the battles and such be while still being 2D?

Contributions

Did FF4:TCC tweak the gameplay at all? I know DS had some significant changes. (As significant as to still be essentially the same game.)