Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ludicrous difficulty spike

Default Ludicrous difficulty spike

I just started playing this again on PSP, and I just got out of Lindblum to go to Burmecia. Suddenly, in the random battles, I'm getting totally, utterly and completely ANNIHILATED by these pathetic, ordinary monsters. One hit kills with fire spells and physical attacks that take off half your life bar at a go. I'm having to use a phoenix down and several potions after every single battle (i.e. about every 45 seconds).

I don't remember the game being this totally and utterly impossibly hard first time around. What is going on?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe you're underleveled, I don't remember any stuff like that. You'll probably level up fast now with those strong dudes, though.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Maybe you're underleveled, I don't remember any stuff like that. You'll probably level up fast now with those strong dudes, though.
    Could be, but like you I don't remember it being like this. I haven't played it for ages though, so could be that my memory's off.

I don't know about the levels though. I just this moment got Quina in the party (he came in at level 9) and he was just taken out of a battle in two hits, a spell which took off 2/3 of his life and a hit which took off the rest. And this was a typical random battle, not a boss fight. Absolutely ridiculous.

One of the reasons I love(d) the PS1 FF games was because they are pretty easy. I know many people think that's a minus, but for me an RPG is all about the flow of the story and the gameplay, and having to replay boss battles 30 times and having to heal your entire party after every single random battle really stops the player from getting into the game's rhythm. My friend once sent me an FF1 emulator, and I started playing it out of historical curiosity. My entire party was wiped out by the second random battle, at which point I realised that there was no point in playing it any further.

EDIT Just to add, I'm now in the grotto and I just took on a random battle with my party all at full power. At the end of it, two were KO'd, one had 3 HP left and the other one only survived because it was Freya, who spent most of the time in the air.

Pathetic. Absolutely, utterly, totally pathetic.
    Last edited by playedemall; 07-15-2011 at 02:07 AM.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sounds like fun if you ask me, easy battles are boring :>

I guess it comes down to how important battles are to the player. I always liked the FF games for their stories, music and set pieces. The battles were never that important to me (well, to be more precise I should say the random battles...boss battles are a different thing). So when every single random battle means you have to heal / revive your party afterwards, it turns that part of the game into a chore.

Anyway, I just got reaaaalllly pissed at another ridiculous FF9 battle and broke my PSP in half. So no more problems with random battles for me

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You should play the 4 heros of light for the DS, my friend got it and I must say it's stupidly brutal.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I've honestly never had this kind of trouble, not when it was first released and not when I played it on PSN a couple of months ago.

At that stage in the game I remember being roughly around level 10-13, and I had upgraded a few weapons. Making for stupidly easy battles. So go back to Lindblum, upgrade weapons and try leveling up a bit.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

I found that I jumped a few levels in the cave between Lindblum and Burmecia since I had to keep running back and forth because I couldnt make it through the cave without loosing half my hp but once I was out of the cave I had leveled up enough that the rest was a breeze. I think it was those medusa like monsters that annoyed me the most.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm a grinder, so I tend to be overleveled, especially in IX when early enemies are carrying useful stuff like Potions and ethers I don't feel the need to waste money on, so I tend to wander into battles to stock my inventory. I do remember IX being somewhat difficult in the early stages (mostly the first disc and part of disc 2) but part of that was the game had a brutal encounter rate compared to most FFs. I think that's why I tend to grind early in the game...

If you think about it, IX really does fit the difficulty curve of FFI and II, by being pretty mean in the early stages but eventually becomes incredibly easy by end game.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I never found FFIX especially hard (and I stink at video games). With regards to going from Lindblum to Burmecia, the only enemy on that route that could cause serious problems are the Ironites and their Flame attack. Otherwise I am very puzzled as to how you're finding these enemies so lethal.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Did you upgrade your weapons and equipment in Lindblum? You should definitely upgrade your stuff. If you broke your PSP apart, that's going to seriously inhibit your progress though...

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by playedemall View Post
    I guess it comes down to how important battles are to the player. I always liked the FF games for their stories, music and set pieces. The battles were never that important to me (well, to be more precise I should say the random battles...boss battles are a different thing). So when every single random battle means you have to heal / revive your party afterwards, it turns that part of the game into a chore.

Anyway, I just got reaaaalllly pissed at another ridiculous FF9 battle and broke my PSP in half. So no more problems with random battles for me
    You might have anger management issues. Or maybe you're just filthy rich and have 50 PSPs lying around your house.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Did you go up the rope in the grotto? Cause you're not supposed to go up there, you will be annihilated by the birds and dragons there.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

On PS1 Freya came into my party at level 7 and the fields before the Grotto were perfectly fine. Bit harder, but levelled up quickly. This obviously looks to have been made harder for the PSP.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

There is no PSP version, just the PSP emulating the PS1 version, I think. So the games should be identical.