Thread: Taekwondo

Blog Entries

Default Taekwondo

I want to start learning Taekwondo. And if I'm going to do it, I'm gonna do it soon. But there's this thing. I've never been very elastic. Not at all. I'm like some old robot that has never been oiled. I struggle to keep my leg up straight. I struggle to touch my toes when bending. I can't really hold my equilibrium when I raise one leg.

So what I'm asking is : Should I start this? Will I get better at it? My worst fear is starting the training and then the instructor going " Stop. Not for you, Taekwondo is. "

Can I learn Taekwondo, or should I try a different martial art?

(Oh and I'm 19...is that too late?)

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

you're starting from scratch right? You'll be fine.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If the trainer gives up on you, that is his failure as a master, not your failure as a student!

You're training to learn something, after all. If you knew everything already, there would be no need to train.

As long as you haven't started getting muscle dystopia from old age, it isn't too late to start. Just don't expect to enter a world championship anytime soon.

Personally, I am practicing kyokushinkai karate.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

I have been coaching since I was 16 years old, and I can safely say any coach/master who says something isn't for you is a complete douchebag. You may be completely hopeless, but as long as it is something you enjoy doing it is right for you. (Now if it is the right training group/environment, that is a different story)

Give it a try. If you like it you like it, if you don't you don't. Just as long as you are perfectly realistic about your abilities and goals there isn't any reason the master shouldn't respect you.

I never had a problem with people who know their abilities and what they are there for, it is people who actually think that they are serious that is far more annoying.

As to if 19 is to late? To be competitive against people your age group in the foreseeable future, yes it probably is. (Unless you are fortunate enough to live in an area where a whole bunch of people are starting at that age.) Is it to late to have fun, learn a new skill and get in shape? No, it never is.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Blog Entries

I am starting from scratch. I've never done sports before (except for tennis but that was for about 4 months).
    I think it's going to be quite difficult but I'm really stubborn so I guess with a little bit of help from the trainer I'll manage to keep my legs straight.
    And I'm not looking for a competition at all, well maybe a bit just for fun, but the reason I'm doing this is just out of pure curiosity and learning desire. I think that you should at least learn one martial art during your lifetime.

I'm feeling a little bit more confident now. Tanks!
    (any tips for a beginner would be greatly appreciated)

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

First tip:

If you aren't taught to always keep your guard up, something is wrong.

Second tip:

Stretch daily, even if you haven't exercised that day. Even if you haven't warmed up, you can still stretch if you just go easier than you would do after exercising. You're supposed to feel it, but it's not supposed to directly hurt.

Third tip:

Practice combinations and stances at home in between practices. You don't need to do them with full force, it's just to help your brainz remembering them.

Also, while I won't pretend to know a lot about tae kwon do, I have heard that it is often very focused on kicks. Kicks often have limited use in self defence scenarios (real fights). Some reasons for this are: You might be wearing clothes that aren't made with lots of physical activity in mind (including, but not limited to, denim jeans), which might seriously constrict your movement and ability to perform certain kicks. Second, you are going to be able to keep your balance a lot better when both your feet are on the ground rather than just one. Keeping your balance at all times is very important.

Personally, in a self defence scenario, if I had to use any kicks, it would be low kicks and knee kicks. Nothing fancy.
    Last edited by Mirage; 07-18-2011 at 03:02 PM.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I wouldn't be too worried about flexibility, Remon. I used to study Kuk Sool Won (which is also Korean and shares many kicking techniques similar to Taekwondo.)

I found that what really help get my balance and flexibility where I wanted was strength training. Simply being limber enough to kick high isn't as satisfying or as good as having the strength to pick your leg up to the same height and kick in a controlled manner due to proper muscle development.

It'll all come with time and training (which my lazy ass as neither of anymore! )

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Never hurts to be more flexible than you need to be :>. I enjoy having great flexibility and even if it doesn't directly help me in all the kicks I do.

Would sniff your fingers to be polite
    Nameleon.
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Any martial art can be taken up by anyone. You start of a wooden cripple; the end goal is to become a ninja.

Also, bear in mind what Mirage said. I've fought people technically above me in Taekwondo, and they're a cakewalk due to the focus on kicks (especially high kicks). I'll do my standard martial arts response and advise Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. It's fun, practical, and great exercise. That's not to say taekwondo is poncey, just not practical. You'll get fit, strong and bendy in no time.

Also, try some home yoga. Basic stretches and stuff. Yoga is great for flexibility, and complements absolutely everything in life. Even algebra. I would also advise starting a home exercise routine with press(push) ups and sit ups. Quick, practical strength, and no cost to do. Start small, build higher. Just Google for tips.

The most important thing, he said like a weirdo, is to have fun. Go to tkd, keep it up for a good month or so to see if you like it. If you don't, try something else.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    Never hurts to be more flexible than you need to be :>. I enjoy having great flexibility and even if it doesn't directly help me in all the kicks I do.
    I'm not saying flexibility is a BAD thing. I'm tiny and wirey, and my flexibility got me out of many holds and grapples that were locked in pretty bad. Like you said, stretching is very, very important before and after work outs.

I was saying (and you'll probably agree) there's a lot more to proper kicking technique than simply being able to fling your leg up at the target. The good, crisp leg kicks that look so well developed come from strength and control of the muscles. I think Remon will find a lot of his accuracy and height with his legs will come from that, and less from simply becoming more flexible.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yes of course, being flexible doesn't in any way automatically lead to better kicks, but at least for me, being flexible helps with getting the force of the kick all the way to the top of it, if you know what I mean.

When I wasn't as flexible as I am now, at least I personally found that the muscles on the opposite side of whatever I was kicking with sort of added resistance to the motion for some of the kicks, slowing them down towards the end of the technique.