Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Acclaimed Works You Didn't Like

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

The Fellowship of the Ring bored me to death and felt like some horrible required reading in school, but I was REQUIRING IT OF MYSELF. :/ I finally got into the books halfway through The Two Towers.

I could not stand Requiem for a Dream when I saw it, nor Waking Life.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I hate Stairway to Heaven.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    Led Zepplin.

The music is decent,
    Nothing personal, but as a drummer and fan of John Bonham I'm obligated:

I respect and enjoy most of the songs musically. I love metal, and that's like going back to your roots. I just can't do the vocals. UGH!!
    Whaaat? Plant has the pipes of a god.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Pipes of the Gods? Great news! Did he use those for the live shows? Because I'm convinced he used sewage pipes for the studio recordings.....

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    I hate Stairway to Heaven.
    I dunno, I kinda liked Dolly Parton's cover.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Blog Entries

I also didnt care for the LotR books which is a shame because I loved the hobbit.

Here's what I remember from the Fellowship of the Ring: Oh were in a spot of trouble, oh it's over, TEA PARTY, rinse and repeat. NO! Bilbo had to work for his title as elf friend, what did you do Frodo!? Eat some cake!?
    (I still loved Samwise though)
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    But bands like Crystal Castles are just plain terrible.
    You disappoint me, Laddy

Nicolas Cage really annoys me. I guess he's not really this terribly well-respected actor, but he has a lot of box-office successes under his belt, so somebody must like him. I haven't seen "Adaptation" yet, though, which I'm sure is a good movie - but then that would probably be because of Spike Jonze way more than Nicolas Cage.

EDIT: He was good in Kick-Ass. I'd have to say.

To defend 3 films quickly:

Citizen Kane revolutionized so many things about film that it's not even funny. While of course a lot of it seems basic and obvious now, the idea to use deep focus lenses, to have a narrative that jumps around, having a montage show time lapses were all brought together in that film and are still used today in nearly EVERY film. Will always be a classic for me.

The Godfather literally revitalized the entire "Mafia" genre and also put a new spin on it by making the mobsters human beings instead of just evil men or people with a screw loose. Without it, there would be NO Goodfellas, no Sopranos, no Breaking Bad and for that alone, the movie earns its place. It is a very pensive movie in spots and Goodfellas is much more entertaining and fast-paced, but in my book you need The Godfather to have Goodfellas.

Finally, Star Wars. So much about it has become a joke and rightly so. Lucas has completely destroyed a lot of what he created, either be constantly and needlessly adding more and more effects or by just becoming a lazy storyteller, but the original film, as well as Empire Strikes Back are about as close as it gets, for me, to true movie magic and fun. It's because of Star Wars and Jaws that the blockbuster now exists. Granted, that's definitely a mixed blessing, but without Star Wars, you wouldn't have LOTR, Indiana Jones, Independence Day, the Batman series, etc, etc.

I have no problem with people not liking any of the above movies, because taste is personal, but all three of these movies should at least be respected for what they were and helped create.

As for me, I'd say that I've never fully understood the appeal of certain films, like "Dances With Wolves" or "Crash" as both seemed way too obvious and preachy.

There have been plenty of novels that I didn't really enjoy, specifically the work of Joyce and F Scott Fitzgerald.

To each their own.

Take care all.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I studied Citizen Kane in film class so I have an appreciation for all that Citizen Kane did to revolutionize filmmaking. But just purely on an entertainment level, it is booooring.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I like most stuff, especially acclaimed stuff. Except Ulysses. Blech. (sorry Champ)

Actually most Shakespeare is annoying too, at least the non-dummed down versions. The plots themselves are interesting. Basically anything written in prose is annoying.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
    Citizen Kane revolutionized so many things about film that it's not even funny. While of course a lot of it seems basic and obvious now, the idea to use deep focus lenses, to have a narrative that jumps around, having a montage show time lapses were all brought together in that film and are still used today in nearly EVERY film. Will always be a classic for me.
    I 100% agree that Citizen Kane was a brilliant film and I'm quite aware of its influences. It is certainly one of the all-time greats. I do, however, think a few other similarly brilliant films are better. Personally, that is! This was one of those great old debates that everyone had a side in when I was in school.

I do feel privileged that I got to see so many good movies in school. "Film school" may have been the worst financial decision I ever made but dang if I didn't see a lot of great flicks.

Nicholas Cage and Denzel Washington suck, too. I'm really a pretty big pessimist when it comes to movies and the like.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Citizen Kane is my favorite film. There, I said it and I mean it.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FFIX Choco Boy View Post
    Denzel Washington suck,
    D: Not cool, dude, not cool at all!