Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Acclaimed Works You Didn't Like

This is probably really bad, but I only read 100 or so pages of To Kill A Mockingbird. I couldn't get into it.

I'm pretty ashamed of this post.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I had to read a book called "Bridge to Terabithia" in fourth or fifth grade or something; apparently it's one of the all time classic kids' books or something.

I didn't like it at all. AT ALL.

I dunno, maybe it would be different if I read it now, but at the time, I was not a fan.

TRUEFACT: I disliked about 75-80% of the stuff that was required reading in school.

Posts Occur in Real Time edczxcvbnm's Avatar

The Godfather
    Good Fellas
    It's a Wonderful Life
    Full Metal Jacket
    Taxi Driver

Also, in general, I don't like the Beatles.

When it comes to books, The Great Gatsby is a terrible novel. The paper I was forced to write in school was titled "Who to do?".

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    When it comes to books, The Great Gatsby is a terrible novel. The paper I was forced to write in school was titled "Who to do?".
    It's a pretty fantastic game, at least!

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

For some reason I came back to this thread, and then MILF stabbed me in the heart.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Thinkiing on it, outside of a couple songs, Lonely Island is crap.

My heart was stabbed when Gatsby was added here. If anyone says Lolita, I might die.

EDIT: It was stabbed more when I played the Gatsby game. I want to find whoever thought it was a good idea to make a game based on Gatsby so I can beat him with The Great Gatsby NES cartridge.
    Last edited by champagne supernova; 07-28-2011 at 06:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    EDIT: It was stabbed more when I played the Gatsby game. I want to find whoever thought it was a good idea to make a game based on Gatsby so I can beat him with The Great Gatsby NES cartridge.
    It's a joke, really. It was never released as an NES game; it was created, as far as I can gather, in 2011. So cool yo' jets, homeslice.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Burtsplurt View Post
    This is probably really bad, but I only read 100 or so pages of To Kill A Mockingbird. I couldn't get into it.

I'm pretty ashamed of this post.
    The best stuff is really after the first 100 pages imo.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NeoCracker View Post
    Thinkiing on it, outside of a couple songs, Lonely Island is crap.
    Agreed.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Lord of the Rings book trilogy -- slow-moving verbosity at its finest. I appreciate what Tolkein did for the fantasy genre, but by themselves the LotR series is mediocre.

Catcher in the Rye -- overrated, annoyingly angsty, and boring.

The Great Gatsby -- more overrated and boringness.

Atlas Shrugged -- I enjoyed The Fountainhead, but this book had terrible pacing, poor development, a ridiculously simplified and repetitive message (even for Rand), and was just godawful boring for long stretches.

Lots of crap from AP English that I have tried to purge from my memory (like Jane Eyre or anything by Jane Austen). Notable exceptions are various works of Shakespeare and <i>You Can't Go Home Again</i>, which I unexpectedly enjoyed.

For more modern stuff: A Song of Ice and Fire is overrated and was apparently written by zombie Robert Jordan.

The Da Vinci Code -- poorly written, weird pacing, and an absurd plot masquerading as something based on actual scholarship (which it's not).

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'm not a Catholic, I'm not a Christologist, I'm not even religious, and The Da Vinci Code makes me immensely angry by its mere existence.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I'm not a Catholic, I'm not a Christologist, I'm not even religious, and The Da Vinci Code makes me immensely angry by its mere existence.
    Is The Da Vinci Code even acclaimed though? The biggest accolade it has to its name is the fact that it sold a lot of copies and was a crowd pleaser for the type of people who buy books at the supermarket.

I just assumed that was what we were focusing on critically acclaimed work and the critics shat on Da Vinci Code. If you want to get into stuff that has general mass market appeal, I don't think this thread would ever end.

dizzy up the girl Recognized Member Rye's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Hosted Eyes on You
    • Former Cid's Knight

To Kill A Mockingbird is so lovely though. ;_;

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Just to add a little more lowbrow works... in the realm of comic books, I hate the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga in X-Men and the fact every single reboot of the series has to try to recreate it (and sadly try to find new ways to incorporate it despite most of these revamp series tend to ignore the Shi'ar and other cosmic entities, which makes their justifications of having Phoenix show up just plain sad.) but dear christ people, it wasn't even that good. Just two years of "what the smurf?" in the X-Books, ending with the triumphant removal of the two blandest characters in the entire franchise. I'm starting to think that all Cyclops and Jean Grey fans grow up to work on the X-Men books, cause they can't leave them alone, despite Claremont and other writers trying desperately to write these two characters out of the series several times.

I also would like to add the films:
    It's a Wonderful Life

Born Free (throw in the book as well)

Saving Private Ryan - the action scenes are great, and the first part of the movie is amazing but overall, I don't really see what the big deal was.

Requiem for a Dream - a very boring movie with a depressing ending.

Boys Don't Cry - See above.

Forrest Gump - I still plan on getting revenge on those teenage bastards that forced me to watch this when I had to go to a retreat with family.

Ghost in the Shell and Akira, cornerstones of anime films but not nearly as good as the books they are based one. I can give Akira slack cause its incredibly long, but GitS ripped out Shirow Masemune's charm and turned it into a dead serious philosophical mess. The fact they tried to make all his characters look realistic didn't help either, the character designs are awful compared to the original. So basically this is the classic, "The Book is better than the film adaption" rant most nerds make.

Music:
    Despite my love of all things 80s that doesn't extend to one band, Bon Jovi can go to hell. Can't stand their twangy rock style. Also Adele is awful. I have to listen to her at work all the time and I can't believe people willingly buy her albums.