Thread: Acclaimed Works You Didn't Like

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I'm not a Catholic, I'm not a Christologist, I'm not even religious, and The Da Vinci Code makes me immensely angry by its mere existence.
    Is The Da Vinci Code even acclaimed though? The biggest accolade it has to its name is the fact that it sold a lot of copies and was a crowd pleaser for the type of people who buy books at the supermarket.

I just assumed that was what we were focusing on critically acclaimed work and the critics shat on Da Vinci Code. If you want to get into stuff that has general mass market appeal, I don't think this thread would ever end.
    I was just commenting on what Raistling said

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Just to add a little more lowbrow works... in the realm of comic books, I hate the Phoenix/Dark Phoenix saga in X-Men and the fact every single reboot of the series has to try to recreate it (and sadly try to find new ways to incorporate it despite most of these revamp series tend to ignore the Shi'ar and other cosmic entities, which makes their justifications of having Phoenix show up just plain sad.) but dear christ people, it wasn't even that good. Just two years of "what the smurf?" in the X-Books, ending with the triumphant removal of the two blandest characters in the entire franchise. I'm starting to think that all Cyclops and Jean Grey fans grow up to work on the X-Men books, cause they can't leave them alone, despite Claremont and other writers trying desperately to write these two characters out of the series several times.
    To be fair, Jean's at least been dead in main continuity for almost ten years (barring a short lived resurrection in a mini-series that I don't think many read), and Cyclops has been more interesting for about as long. Coincidence? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno
    Music:
    Despite my love of all things 80s that doesn't extend to one band, Bon Jovi can go to hell. Can't stand their twangy rock style. Also Adele is awful. I have to listen to her at work all the time and I can't believe people willingly buy her albums.
    To the first, I've always been at a loss for why anyone enjoys Bon Jovi. To the second, I actually like her voice. Now if only she could write a song that wasn't a steaming pile of trout to go along with it I'd better understand why she's as popular as she is. Mind you, that seems to be the way with popular music. One steaming pile of trout after another with me wondering why the hell people like it. There's a reason I can't listen to the radio. Ever.

Ciddieless since 2004

2001: A Space Odyssey. I got bored after the first fifteen minutes and watched Ghostbusters instead.

Rayman 3. They really ruined him in this one.

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. Some of the worst story and characters I've ever seen.

Radiohead. They're just trout.
    Money, power, sex... and elephants.
    -- Capt. Simon Illyan, ImpSec

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post

To be fair, Jean's at least been dead in main continuity for almost ten years (barring a short lived resurrection in a mini-series that I don't think many read), and Cyclops has been more interesting for about as long. Coincidence? Probably not.
    I find Scott is still pretty boring, even with his new "edgier" attitude about running the X-Men after Xavier stopped running the show.

As for Jean, you cannot tell me Hope isn't Jean or somehow connected to Jean.

Shakespeare is overated imo, I mean he's not bad, he's just meh.

300 was a boring film. It had a cool visual style, but the plot was one that left you wanting for more. I think it's because people talked it up so much.

And finally, Harry Potter. I just hate it. I can see why a kid would like it but I dunno why anybody above the age of 14 would like it. JK Rowling is a terrible writer and she doesn't bring anything new or interesting for me. The same goes for the Twilight Saga (although I've never watched or read any of it, it just seems tit to me)
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Not denying that at all. But there was still a long run with no Jean, and as a result, more Emma. And at least if this does turn out to be just another Jean resurrection, it wasn't as simple as Jean's back. Why? The Phoenix did it.

Quote Originally Posted by Hot Shot View Post
    And finally, Harry Potter. I just hate it. I can see why a kid would like it but I dunno why anybody above the age of 14 would like it. JK Rowling is a terrible writer and she doesn't bring anything new or interesting for me. The same goes for the Twilight Saga (although I've never watched or read any of it, it just seems tit to me)
    Not saying that JK Rowling should be considered a great writer, but she is infinitely better than the Twilight writer. Maybe because on a scale of 1-10 of ability to write, Stephanie Mayer (I think that's her name) would score a 0.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Aw... but I love Baccano...
    Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edczxcvbnm View Post
    When it comes to books, The Great Gatsby is a terrible novel. The paper I was forced to write in school was titled "Who to do?".
    It's a pretty fantastic game, at least!
    All I need is a Monte Cristo game, my life will be complete!

Anyway, keeping to the topic, I gotta say that Romeo and Juliet bored me to tears. I didn't like Romeo, and if I can't sympathize with the protaganist, I can't get into the story.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Vivi22 View Post
    Not denying that at all. But there was still a long run with no Jean, and as a result, more Emma. And at least if this does turn out to be just another Jean resurrection, it wasn't as simple as Jean's back. Why? The Phoenix did it.
    I'm betting money that will be the excuse they use when the connection to Jean is revealed actually.

I'll agree with you on Akira, even though I never read the Manga.

I enjoy the movie, don't get me wrong, but it fails on so many levels.

Mostly on giving you a basic Idea of what the smurf just happened.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

The movie can't really explain everything cause half of the cast is either absent or rewritten, and there is a ton of back information that is left out. Granted the manga had its own moments where nothing ever gets explained, like how Kanaeda disappears in volume 3 after Akira levels Neo Tokyo and then literally falls from the sky back to the ground in volume 5 with no memory of what happened and then just goes on like he hasn't been missing for a few months. Tetsuo is also a much less sympathetic character in the manga than he is in the film.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I should have stopped reading this thread before works I love were mentioned.