Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Games you always wanted to play

Articles
    Blog Entries

Default Games you always wanted to play

So let's put things into perspective. You're at the local video store looking for a video game to rent for the weekend. You see some really cool looking games (at least, to you they looked cool), but you can't play them; either because they're on a different console, or they're rated M and there's no way your parents would let you take the game home. You sigh, and return to the section pertaining to your console of choice.

Has this ever happened to you? What games did you want to play but couldn't due to certain circumstances?

Personally, I remember one of my greatest dissapointments was not being able to rent Dark Cloud or Okage: Shadow King because I didn't own a PS2 at the time. Something about the boxart for each game promised a unique experience that I could never fufill.

EDIT: I also remember wanting to play Maximo, and fondly remember watching my cousins play Tomba. Before it was ported, I also remember wanting Sonic Adventure 2. (Ok, I think that's everything).
    Last edited by Edge7; 07-20-2011 at 09:41 AM.
    Returners Represent!

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I lack a ps3 but I've always wanted to play disgaea 3 and the ps3 ratchet & clank series. I've also always wanted to play shadow of the colossus but I can never seem to get my hands on a copy. So many games I want to play but cant... (not to mention that I am unable to recall most of them at the moment.)
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    I lack a ps3 but I've always wanted to play disgaea 3 and the ps3 ratchet & clank series. I've also always wanted to play shadow of the colossus but I can never seem to get my hands on a copy.
    That's scary, I started replaying Shadow of the Colosuss right before you posted. Also, if it's any consolation, I've played a little of the PS3 R&Cs at a friends house, and from what I played, I still think the first one's my favorite.
    Last edited by Edge7; 07-20-2011 at 09:36 AM.
    Returners Represent!

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love all the ps2 ones but the 2nd one has got to be my favorite. The most balanced in challenge, combat, and story. The first was fantastic though no denying that.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

When I was younger they had a few games at the local rental store that I literally spent a year (relatively) or so trying to get, only to be disappointed that someone else had rented it out already. So I'd always settle for something else.

These games, from what I can remember, are:

• 'A Boy and his Blob' on the NES
    • 'Super Mario Bros. 3' on NES
    • 'Legend of Zelda 2' on NES
    • 'Half-Life' on PC
    • 'Zork: Grand Inquisitor' on PC
    • 'Riven' on PC

I'm sure there's more over the long years, but those are the ones that really stood out to me. I remember standing there looking at the back of the boxes in sadness knowing they were rented out already.

When I eventually got a hold of them, I loved each and every one immensely, well except for one of them. Fun fact is by the time I got to rent Legend of Zelda 2 they put the wrong game in the box (I forget what it is now). Turns out I liked it much more, despite loving the first Zelda game.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I've got a ton of 2010-2011 games that I haven't been able to play because I had no monies. Now I have a little bit of money, but no Xbox

Articles
    Blog Entries

The Nintendo 64 games were really like that for me, I was dying to get one but my parents made me wait until Christmas. By the time Christmas came around I wanted a PlayStation instead (been a PS gamer ever since), but I ended up getting a 64 once it got really cheap for used.

I really wanted to play Final Fantasy Tactics when it came out but I had a ton of games to play in the meantime. Once I was ready to get it, it was almost impossible to find, especially at a decent price. A short time later they started a greatest hits run of it and I immediately got one of the first copies. That first batch of copies, however, were defective (I think they accidentally printed hte Japanese version, which were incompatible), so I had to return it to Babbages/EB/Gamestop. When I finally popped that baby in, though, man, that game was a huge personal experience.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I use to rent a Sega Genesis so I can play all the game on it that my friends played (most of them had the Genesis). I had to pull a similar stunt to finally play through more than the Deku tree in Zelda OoT, and I borrowed my friends copy of MGS4 and his PS3 to play that when it came out. With the exception of the Genesis and its games. I tend to be disappointed by the games I "missed out on". Which is why I've been reluctant to borrow a 360 to play Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey.

My friend said I could always borrow his Xbox and Lost Odyssey, and it's something I've always wanted to play. But I just never get around to asking him, and I probably wouldn't get around to playing it these days.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Go check that thread that was created a while ago about what games you wanted to play. I think I had about 30 games on 1 post.

I always wanted to play Black & White when it just came out, but I didn't have a decent PC back then.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    • 'A Boy and his Blob' on the NES
    Nostalgia just hit me like a train

there was a picture here

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I wanted to play Starcraft 1 pretty badly for years, whenever I was at my brothers I'd play the demo of it on his PC. however my mom wouldn't spend the money on getting me a PC. Thats a reason why I never played Strarcraft 1 all the way through until I was like 17 and had my own computer that I had brought with my own money. It made the experience sweeter imho.

I'd like to play the uncharted series and metal gear solid 4 for the ps3 but I'm reluctant to buy a ps3 when I know it will spend the majority of it's time sitting around doing nothing since I don't at this time have a HD tv and no inclination to move from DVD to Blu-ray, if I want a HD version I can easily just watch a digital version on my laptop.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I want to play Limbo for the 360, it looks really awesome. Most of the other XBox games I've wanted to play got released for PC or were ported to PS3.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Noodle Boy View Post
    I want to play Limbo for the 360, it looks really awesome. Most of the other XBox games I've wanted to play got released for PC or were ported to PS3.
    In case you didn't see it already, Limbo is on the PSN now.