Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Water fasting

Just because something is "ancient" or has been used "historically" doesn't necessarily make it a good thing nor does it make it scientifically sound. Most of these sites seem to be personal sites, religious sites, or blogs. None seem to have scientific research and hard evidence; just a bunch of blanket statements. I do not see any articles on MayoClinic.com that support fasting. There may be signs that there is a connection between calorie restriction and longevity, but keep in mind that there is a difference between calorie restriction and fasting. Your Serendip link is apparently a student paper? He used WebMD as a reference, and here's an article that they posted about fasting (Fasting) that clearly states:
    Some fasting diets claim that they can cleanse the body of impurities. However, there is no evidence that fasting detoxifies your body, or that your body even needs to be detoxified. It is naturally designed to remove toxins through the skin (by sweating), liver, colon, and kidneys.
    And all the sites tell you to consult your doctor before fasting. Have you done so? Whatever you decide is up to you, but I do think you should talk to your doctor before you jump into something like this.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

What is this I don't even.mp3

Foods you don't get to eat when losing weight:

- processed
    - highly fatty
    - highly sugary
    - white grain

That's it. Now eat 50% protein and make sure it's not protein shakes. The dietary fat is enough for your diet. figure out the balance for your TDEE and eat that in carbs (that I've allowed you to eat; mostly fruits/veggies/whole grains, thank you very much pg you nazi)

That said a small fast does not hurt. I only get to eat for about 7-8 hours a day and I eat 3 times - 25% the first time, 25% the second, and post workout I eat 50% of my food allowance. I eat a stupid amount of protein and I exercise moderately - 50-90 reps max. I don't bother with cardio - it's good for your heart and I don't care; if I did cardio I would probably just eat more food to compensate.

During weekends my caloric intake drops significantly. I probably eat for only 4-6 hours and only once or twice, and I eat poorly. That's what I mean by periodic fasting.
    Last edited by Peegee; 07-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, just ignore Quin who has a awful new screen name.

As someone who has fasted before let me say this, it is NOT a solution for weight loss. It's just not.

I will say that I felt remarkably good while fasting. I have trouble with insomnia and the whole time I was on the fast, I slept like a baby and had a lot of energy throughout the day. Bizarre, but I felt really good. I also loved the test of willpower. And it really wasn't even that hard for me, and I'm someone who adores food. I was able to be around people eating without being all that tempted, and I also cooked for other people while fasting. It was an interesting thing to try. My Dad has been sporadically fasting for as long as I can remember, but purely for religious reasons.

But any weight you lose while fasting is going to be water weight, or muscle weight. You will NOT lose fat. And anything you lose, you will gain back. It's not a long term solution and it isn't even a short term one. Once you start eating again, you will gain back the weight IMMEDIATELY.

I cannot repeat this often enough. It is NOT a weight loss solution. It's not, it's not, it's not. But psychologically, it might be a kick in the butt for you. You will either realize how much unnecessary food you put into your body, or (and this is really common) you will eat even more after fasting. I know that there's a lot of people who fast, and then follow up the fast by eating all the favorite foods they missed while fasting. There is a good chance you will end up gaining weight.

I would really encourage you to just learn more about health and nutrition. Because that is the ONLY long term solution, and the only thing that really works.

I think the problem here is that you keep looking at everything from the surface level. Quick fixes and tips and tricks. It's not enough for you to know whether or not you should eat peanut butter. You need to understand food, calories, protein, etc on a more basic and broad level. So really, educate yourself on nutrition. How your body metabolizes food, what food is good/bad for you and why.
    Last edited by Miriel; 07-21-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by AngelWings8 View Post
    Just because something is "ancient" or has been used "historically" doesn't necessarily make it a good thing nor does it make it scientifically sound.
    This. I mean, ancient Egyptians used to stuff their vaginas with crocodile crap as birth control, but I doubt you're going to be trying that next.

But, like Miriel said, fasting can feel good and can be a nice kick in the butt. It's not good for weight loss in and of itself, but the kick in the butt can be nice. I would find a water-only fast torture though.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Topham Hatt
    I agree about the bread bit, my bad. But it's so delicious, it would feel wrong to utterly deprive a person of it.
    I can understand that. I happen to like pizza quite a bit actually so saying no to grains forever is pretty much impossible for me. I usually feel like trout if I eat much in the way of grains though. I have less energy, get hungry sooner, and especially when I work out I feel slower and weaker than when I don't eat them so I try to avoid them as much as possible. I realize many people like their breads and pastas more than I really need them so I try not to say never eat them. But when you can keep it to a few times a week you'll be better off for it.

Whole grains are a good source of fiber as well as reduce risks of heart disease, cancer, and diabetes.
    I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but everything I've read in the last few years is pointing towards high-carb diets (the sort only possible when we eat grains, including whole grains) as being the cause of heart disease, diabetes, and likely contributing to some forms of cancer, though I'm having trouble remembering which ones at the moment. It tends to be the first two which are talked about more anyway. Cutting carbs while eating more protein and fat actually reduces the risk of heart disease, and I'd be pretty damn shocked if anyone developed type 2 diabetes while keeping their carbs around or below 100 a day and cutting out grains. Grains, including whole grains cause such huge spikes in blood sugar that it really stresses the pancreas to create insulin. The longer this goes on, the more insulin resistant a person becomes, so the more insulin needs to be made to control blood sugar, and eventually the Pancreas just can't handle it anymore. That's usually about the time people find out they'll need to monitor their blood sugar and take insulin when needed.

And I disagree with the idea that grains are needed in the diet at all, especially in modern first world countries. There's no shortage of more nutritious vegetables and fruit, or good sources of protein and fat. Sure grains may have been important for thousands of years since they grow quite readily and store easily so there were times, I'm sure, across many civilizations where it was either eat grains or starve, but we don't really need them. There's not a lot of nutritional value in them compared to fruit and vegetables and the number they do on blood sugar isn't worth it if you ask me.

Dr. Robert Eckel of the American Heart Association says that high-protein, low-carbohydrate diets put people at risk of heart disease... I think I've seen research supporting both sides in this "whole grain" issue, but personally, I think a lot of the "carbs are bad for you" craze happened because of everyone jumping on the Atkins bandwagon.

I also want to be clear that I'm not talking about the products you buy at the store that has 1% whole grain...and mostly a whole bunch of sugar, high fructose corn syrup, processed <insert grain="">*insert grain here*, and a whole bunch of additives and preservatives. And I'm also not supporting a high-carb diet. I believe in everything in moderation...that's why high-carb/no-carb whatever diets aren't good for you. I typically believe that eating carbs low in the glycemic index are good for you since they don't cause that huge sugar spike you mentioned.</insert>

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Run, lift weights, eat healthy, that's how you lose weight. When it comes down to it, you should really only worry about calories in vs. calories out. Until you've been dieting and exercising well for a several months to a year, you should just stick to that.
    Actually run, lift weights, and eat next to nothing, just enough to keep you going.

That's how I lost weight, at least.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    I don't bother with cardio - it's good for your heart and I don't care; if I did cardio I would probably just eat more food to compensate.
    What is this I don't even

The two main reasons I run: so I can eat a little more and so I get some cardio in to get my blood pumping more efficiently. Your muscles would probably benefit from some added blood flow, PG.

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Run, lift weights, eat healthy, that's how you lose weight. When it comes down to it, you should really only worry about calories in vs. calories out. Until you've been dieting and exercising well for a several months to a year, you should just stick to that.
    Actually run, lift weights, and eat next to nothing, just enough to keep you going.

That's how I lost weight, at least.
    That's not necessarily a good way to lose weight; you'll need to keep up your protein intake while cutting a small amount of calories from your diet so that your body doesn't waste away.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

benefits from cardio

- stronger heart
    - caloric deficit
    - increased bloodflow
    - accelerates recovery
    - pokemon master
    - a lot more reasons

I don't do cardio. u made? come at me bro

About eating bread - just switch to 12 grain bread like I do. The stuff is delicious. I am adamant though that you do / should not take any dairy products so-as-long as you are trying to be healthy.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    Just because something is "ancient" or has been used "historically" doesn't necessarily make it a good thing nor does it make it scientifically sound.
    This. I mean, ancient Egyptians used to stuff their vaginas with crocodile crap as birth control, but I doubt you're going to be trying that next.
    This, and this.

There are plenty of things that were terrible ideas that were done in pre-modern times for "heath" that were counterproductive and harmful.

We know now that fasting does much more harm to a person's well being than good. Please don't do it. Research some medical sites first, not sites biased towards fasting. Better yet, talk to a doctor.

You WILL gain any weight you lose from the fast back eventually because it's not a medially sound way to lose fat. You will lose water weight and muscle tisssue.

Always too late to the party - all these people are giving you advice to save you pain, discomfort, and a weekend of fasting which will end in you gaining more weight in the following week.

Seeya, hope you enjoyed your time with us.

Blog Entries

Wait, would this mean that water fasting is an effective method of GAINING weight?

the body will likely go into fat storing mode shortly after, so yes more fat weight!

Blog Entries

*Kentarou water fasts*

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I have never seen a fat Wizzrobe. And I doubt I ever will.