Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Water fasting

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eat more, lift more!

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

exercise is bollocks. why can't i just eat chips and candy and get lean and muscular?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    I don't think missing one night of sleep is the same as starving yourself for a few days; last I checked you didn't start sleeping a bunch more after resetting your circadian rhythm.
    I don't know about that. The less I eat over a couple of days, the less I want to for the rest of the week. Like, I'll be eating a third helping at dinner one day, and then the next couple of days I'll skip both breakfast and lunch because I just don't have the time, and then after that I won't be able to finish a salad in one sitting until I work myself back up to it again. I heard not eating makes your stomach shrink, but I don't think that's quite right. I think it's more like your stomach is less stretchy? In any case, I can buy that eating less makes you want to eat less. Totally fasting probably isn't the healthiest way, but if it's just a one-time thing I wouldn't worry about long-term effects. Sleep deprivation on the other hand only seems to work because the body needs to catch up.

Blog Entries

Grin

^ 'fasting', or more accurately starving yourself has the benefit of lowering your metabolism and making you less hungry.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Fasting is an exceptionally ancient, and powerful, approach to healing many common disease conditions. It allows the body to rest, detoxify, and to heal. During fasting the body moves into the same kind of detoxification cycle that it normally enters during sleep.
    Tip: Any practice that promises to flush "toxins" out of your system is more than likely based on nothing but baseless pseudoscience. Ask proponents what sort of "toxins" they are talking about, and they will look confused. It's like asking Deepak Chopra how his beliefs have anything to do with quantum mechanics, and you discover that he just uses the word to sound more legitimate and less obnoxiously stupid.

A lot of "alternative" medicine has been used for thousands of years. But it is called "alternative" because it doesn't work. Fasting is not healthy and definitely not a good way to lose weight.

Blog Entries

Grin

I dunno. The human liver has been around for hundreds of thousands of years and it flushes toxins out of the body all the time.

I think you should rethink your 'history = truth => fallacy' claim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I don't think missing one night of sleep is the same as starving yourself for a few days; last I checked you didn't start sleeping a bunch more after resetting your circadian rhythm.
    I don't know about that. The less I eat over a couple of days, the less I want to for the rest of the week. Like, I'll be eating a third helping at dinner one day, and then the next couple of days I'll skip both breakfast and lunch because I just don't have the time, and then after that I won't be able to finish a salad in one sitting until I work myself back up to it again. I heard not eating makes your stomach shrink, but I don't think that's quite right. I think it's more like your stomach is less stretchy? In any case, I can buy that eating less makes you want to eat less. Totally fasting probably isn't the healthiest way, but if it's just a one-time thing I wouldn't worry about long-term effects. Sleep deprivation on the other hand only seems to work because the body needs to catch up.
    I'm not saying it won't make you less hungry (that's your metabolism grinding to a halt), just that it is dumb to try and lose weight that way. Losing good weight requires exercise, a good diet, and lots of work. There is no easy way to lose weight.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    I'm not saying it won't make you less hungry (that's your metabolism grinding to a halt), just that it is dumb to try and lose weight that way. Losing good weight requires exercise, a good diet, and lots of work. There is no easy way to lose weight.
    What about heroin?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Liposuction.

Blog Entries

Both of those are expensive. With liposuction, you're still a fatty and probably will eat like one.

Blog Entries

Grin

or stomach worms. checkmate julie

Blog Entries

Alright, you get stomach worms and let me know how that works out for you, brah.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Gastric band then.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

omfg this thread is stupid. Shut up.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by demondude View Post
    Gastric band then.
    They only use those if the person is too weak to stick to a diet and exercise regime.