Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firefly Is Immensely Overrated...

Blog Entries

Default Firefly Is Immensely Overrated...

...There, I said it.

Legions of fans are likely going to disagree, but I recently finished watching the entire show, and I couldn't help but think "really?" I had heard so much about the show, so I had to check it out for myself. To be honest, I think the Browncoats are completely off the chart.

So, the show is fun, but where is the "depht" the BC keep ranting on about? Every single episode takes place on the Serenity for 80% of the time, and nothing much happens when they finally land the damn ship. There is little to no depht to the characters, which to be fair, is somewhat understandable considering that the show didn't even get the standard 22 episodes. It was definitely becoming interesting, but judging by the "first" season, I just don't understand why anyone could possible consider this to be one of the finest shows of all time?

Please, explain this insanity to me.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Your face is overrated.

I loved the characters! They each had their own back story...I don't even know how to argue Serenity was good too.....

But then again, I love most of Joss Whedon's shows and Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog....I might be biased.

Blog Entries

You two are clearly Browncoats. I cannot pretend it does not disgust me a little.

lol, well what exactly didn't you like? You said there was no depth to the characters, but I feel like they expanded on their back stories as much as they could in 14 episodes. Everyone's got their role in the series...there's the captain, his right hand woman, the pilot, the mechanic, the dumb jock, the gorgeous whore, the pastor (whose backstory I really wanted to find out...why he knew so much and was able to get medical treatment with no questions asked), the doctor, and then the psycho chick who excels at killing people While I was annoyed with River at times...I have to admit she kicks ass (especially in Serenity).

And I think throwing in a bunch of Chinese words, particularly when they were cursing, was kinda cool...but their accents sometimes made me cringe lol.

Blog Entries

Due to the shortness of the show, the characters did not have a chance to be expanded upon, so yes, they did have some depht, but certainly not enough to warrant the insanity every single fan of the show throws my way.

I think it is insane how much people continue to praise this show as one of the greatest shows in Television history, and I am merely trying to understand what could possibly warrant such a claim or point of view.

The show was fun, but ultimately harmless and not exactly spectacular in any form or fashion if you ask me. If I remember correctly, it didn't exactly get rave reviews either when it first came out, but again, the fans are relentless and I just do not get their enthusiasm.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Usually I can accept when a person doesn't like something I love, because I can see how it just wouldn't interest them.

But not Firefly. It is not possible to overrate Firefly, and smurf you in the ear.

Haha well, I'm not a crazy fanatic...I just think of it as a great show that had a lot of potential and I wish it had more time to show us more.

From what I could tell, even though they had lots of loyal viewers, it failed because FOX aired the episodes out of order and put them in a crappy time slot (Friday night is the worst slot to be at). I also don't think they put very much into their marketing efforts for the show. And the lack of mainstream appeal...I think the show might have fared better on the Syfy channel than on FOX.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Aren't you the guy who used to like Grace Jones?

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Now that's immensely overrated!
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Tell me you didn't decide to watch this series based solely on fan-bias. For shame.

I agree the show is very much overrated. It's just like Final Fantasy VII. It doesn't really draw in the core fanbase, but it appeals to the masses, each fan having different reasons for liking it, but it's mostly based on flash and glamour. Cloud wasn't a particularly deep character either, but he was a Brooding Shonen Draco with a bigass sword and he had awesome attacks and a very pretty villain with a ridiculously unwieldy sword. Some parts of the game annoyed me more than I was willing to realize at first, but it for the most part, I still love it. It's my first choice to receive a remake and a thousand more sequels. It's my first choice to gain an animated series or comic line. I wish I could play Before Crisis.

Anyway, I'm way-way-way-way off-topic by now. In less than 1,000,000 words, Firefly is a space-western franchise. Americans are cowboys at heart and we love us a shoot-'em-up. Thanks to Star Trek, a strong sci-fi fanbase also flourishes in American society. It's only natural to assume the two would suck(er) in the average American. Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin were also already rising stars which added to the show's appeal (which is why, despite his dumb-assed trigger-happy persona, Jayne was never kicked off the "boat").
    The mystique aurating from the backgrounds of Book and River also gave fans questions they looked forward to having answered.

You mentioned the show never leaves the ship. Well, I'm sorry in advance if this offends you, but DUH! It's called Firefly. The Serenity is a Firefly class vessel. The show is ABOUT life aboard the ship. Please, if you're going to criticize a show, don't throw in asinine trivia like you did here.

Personally, I think they went balls-out on the movie and it more than paid off. I just wish they'd not stopped at the one film. Firefly is a good enough franchise to warrant Star Trek level appeal. It just needs to expand its goal and focus the show more on the government's relation to the Firefly crew. God, do I want to see another sequel.
    They might even try making a videogame.

Blog Entries

I decided to watch the show because I was curious.

I never once said that I did not like the show, only that I don't understand all of the immense hype there is about the show. Like I said, I thought the show was great fun, but that is about it. So, that is why I asked you guys to try to explain it to me.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

First of all, it's "depth".

And Firefly isn't one of my favorite shows of all time, but I did enjoy it a ton. And I think if the show had continued, it had the promise to become one of my favorites.

The show is just flat out fun to watch. There are incredibly few adventure type shows to begin with on television and even fewer with the kind of wit and humor that Firefly had. Great dialogue, a unique premise, a wonderful cast that fit together brilliantly, these are the reasons why people fell in love with Firefly. Firefly had a special charm that's rare among TV shows. I don't even think Joss' other work had it. Buffy was funny, sarcastic, powerful and vulnerable, but not especially "charming". Firefly just had oodles of charm. And a big part of that I think was the rare way in which the characters kinda fell into place. Talk about a lovable rag-tag team.

If you don't get it, then you don't get it. It's kinda like trying to explain to someone who doesn't think Arrested Development is funny, how and why it's funny.

My girlfriend and I really enjoyed Firefly, it's a shame they couldn't continue it. Agree with Miriel.

Anyways, it's not our fault you didn't really get in to it as much as others have. Does not mean it's overrated - in fact most people I tell to watch it, have never heard of it even to this day.
    Last edited by Rostum; 07-21-2011 at 11:29 PM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Blog Entries

Wasn't it the "fans" who managed to convince them to make the movie? That is dedication, I must say. But is it too late for a second season? I mean, it's been so long since the show ended.

I've read something about a possible something (prequel, or I'm not so sure) with a different cast. Wouldn't that defeat the entire purpose of the show?