Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amy Winehouse is found dead.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

It's a shame because I thought she had a unique voice & great talent. Wasn't really into her music though, apart from the song 'Love is a losing game'. R.I.P.

Str8 Pimpin'

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

And the disgusting English Tabloids strike again. The Express had a front page with Her death on it, but nothing about Norway. Half of the rest had half or more of the page taken up by her. More deserving things are going on than another Heroin addict topping herself.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

I'm not happy she died but I'd rather not have to listen to everyone be so positive about her now that shes dead. She was a druggie, and not a very good role model. In fact, what has she been doing the last few years? Taking smack. What a hero.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I'm not happy she died but I'd rather not have to listen to everyone be so positive about her now that shes dead. She was a druggie, and not a very good role model. In fact, what has she been doing the last few years? Taking smack. What a hero.
    Exactly my point. Everyone is being all 'Oh it's such a loss. She had such a good voice blah blah'. She was more of a disgrace to the music business. Her last live performance consisted of her being boo'd from the stage for being so out of it that she couldn't even remembered the lyrics. That isn't the way someone who is privileged enough to be part of mainstream music should behave and treat their fans.

Banned
    Blog Entries

Personally I wasn't a fan of Amy but I don't think her addictions should earn her scorn now she's dead. Let's face it, she was only part of mainstream music because she was a drug-addled wreck, and that's a larger indictment of our society, the media, and the romanticism of drug culture more than anything else. If people saw addiction as a serious illness as opposed to a crime or a taboo then there would be no morbid fascination over the culture, which only endangers more people for entertainment. And that's what it was all about. Morbid fascination and entertainment. Her life had basically become some twisted reality show, and now the season's over I'd imagine it will be another person's turn.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Yeah, but that's how it always is. NO ONE is bad when they die. Suddenly they're a saint, losing them was a tragedy, and they are culturally significant even if they haven't done anything worth mention in years.

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name
    And the disgusting English Tabloids strike again. The Express had a front page with Her death on it, but nothing about Norway. Half of the rest had half or more of the page taken up by her. More deserving things are going on than another Heroin addict topping herself.
    While I agree with you that the way our media saturates their time with celebrity activities, I don't think that little explosion in Norway is any more important than her death in this instance, seeing as tit blows up in other, poorer, browner countries every day, and we don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    Let's face it, she was only part of mainstream music because she was a drug-addled wreck, and that's a larger indictment of our society, the media, and the romanticism of drug culture more than anything else. If people saw addiction as a serious illness as opposed to a crime or a taboo then there would be no morbid fascination over the culture, which only endangers more people for entertainment. And that's what it was all about. Morbid fascination and entertainment. Her life had basically become some twisted reality show, and now the season's over I'd imagine it will be another person's turn.
    I was thinking about this myself, and it's very true. It's a lot like how Britney Spears was inactive for years but she consistently remained in the news because of all the insanity going on in her personal life, and how Linsday Lohan has done very little and made no films that did well in the last few years but also has remained famous because of her drunken criminal antics.

It all reflects very poorly on us as a people.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    While I agree with you that the way our media saturates their time with celebrity activities, I don't think that little explosion in Norway is any more important than her death in this instance, seeing as tit blows up in other, poorer, browner countries every day, and we don't care.
    I was referring to the killing spree that ended in 93 deaths..

There's always been an allure to the troubled artist. Someone struggling with the demons that their creativity and their fame brings is automatically somewhat more appealing than someone straight and on the rails (Kurt Cobain versus Chris Martin, for example). Maybe it makes us think that their creativity comes from their ability to feel more than us or maybe it stems from these people who are complete write-offs in the rest of their life redeem themselves through their art. Regardless, the tragic nature of the write-offs and the screw-ups will always appeal to some inner part of our psyche.

Although I am high on cold medicine (I need to get better fast), so that could just be rubbish.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Humans like rubbernecking, more at 10.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    I was referring to the killing spree that ended in 93 deaths..
    Again, things that are just as bad, and worse, happen in poorer, browner countries every day, and we don't care.

Not that it isn't awful, but I don't see how coverage upon coverage upon coverage of it does us any good. Nor does coverage upon coverage of celebrity druggies' deaths.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I think it's a shame that she's gone. Her lifestyle may have been thrashed, but she honestly had talent. I loved her music.

It's awful to me that people seem to think she's on a pedestal now only because she died. Guess what? The media will do the same thing when Britney Spears dies, so get ready for it. Amy paved the way for so many artists now, and so many more to come.

Just because she was a junkie doesn't mean she wasn't influential. RIP.

Blog Entries

Fine choice of word there with 'influencial'

there was a picture here

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

I look forward to what you have to say when Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan and David Bowie die. In other news, is that horse high enough for you?
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Some of those people actually made worthwhile contributions to music, and haven't killed themselves through drug abuse and alcoholism.

Even though I probably shouldn't be, because of her lifestyle, I was pretty shocked to hear that she died.

She was immensely talented, and it's a damn shame that she had to die so young. She will join the 27 club for sure.
    I was really looking forward to the release of her forthcoming album, and it truly sucks that she won't be able to make more music.

RIP.