Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amy Winehouse is found dead.

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Some of those people actually made worthwhile contributions to music, and haven't killed themselves through drug abuse and alcoholism.
    So did Amy Winehouse in the short musical career she had, and the point is any of them could have done, such was the amount of drugs they were hoovering up at one point. If people want to start being sanctimonious about things like drug use, they can, but it just makes them look like holier-than-thou pillocks.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    If people want to start being sanctimonious about things like drug use, they can, but it just makes them look like holier-than-thou pillocks.
    If this was Facebook, I would like this.

Yeah, drugs can cause bad incidents of violence etc, but you can't say that Amy Winehouse harmed anyone but herself. It's a tragedy but charlie does list a whole lot of other musicians who experimented with drugs. I mean, c'mon, the Beatles names a song after LSD. What do you think they were on at the time?

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I'm not happy she died but I'd rather not have to listen to everyone be so positive about her now that shes dead. She was a druggie, and not a very good role model. In fact, what has she been doing the last few years? Taking smack. What a hero.
    I look forward to what you have to say when Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan and David Bowie die. In other news, is that horse high enough for you?
    Did you honestly just compare her to them? These are all people who made a huge impact on the history of music, and all had careers that Amy Winehouse couldn't even dream of. Moreover, yes, they COULD have died of the drugs. But they didn't. They managed what they took. They created musical masterpieces out of them. And they lead a far more glamourous lifestyle than her whilst on them.

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    If people want to start being sanctimonious about things like drug use, they can, but it just makes them look like holier-than-thou pillocks.
    If this was Facebook, I would like this.

Yeah, drugs can cause bad incidents of violence etc, but you can't say that Amy Winehouse harmed anyone but herself. It's a tragedy but charlie does list a whole lot of other musicians who experimented with drugs. I mean, c'mon, the Beatles names a song after LSD. What do you think they were on at the time?
    Common misconception. Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds was actually written by Lennon after his son drew a picture, titled that. McCartney may have claimed since that it was a song about LSD but Lennon, the writer, said that it had nothing to do with it. But that's by the by anyway.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Banned
    Blog Entries

If people like Lennon and Bowie have made impacts on music under the influence of drugs yet are so greatly celebrated, then why are musicians demonised for following suit?

Ah, my mistake, it's OK for musicians to be on drugs, so long as they don't die from them and so long as they're mega-famous.

And what do you mean by glamorous lifestyle? Cobain was probably worse than Winehouse.

EDIT: Sorry, I missed charlie's criteria that they have to remain alive.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Ah, my mistake, it's OK for musicians to be on drugs, so long as they don't die from them and so long as they're mega-famous.
    I don't give a tit whether they're on drugs or not, or whether they die or not. That's their business. But now she's dead, and she's going to be treated as having been even better than many thought she was while alive. Early death, by accident or design, is the surest route to immortality for the famous. The other people listed are famous for their musical prowess, wherever it came from. I don't remember the last time Winehouse made the news for her music rather than her antics.

The reason I'm bumstung is because she's not a good artist who was cut down in her prime, she's not a tortured soul who lost a battle with her inner demons, she was an entirely mediocre, overrated hag who made music worse, not better.

Banned
    Blog Entries

I don't understand why people find they need to be vitriolic. She's dead. The amount of hate I've read, especially on facebook, is bizarre. I'm not lauding her at all, never have and never will, but why? It's better for a dead person to be perhaps undeservedly remembered positively than to be hated to such an extent.

Kinda agree with MILF in that she might be more highly rated than she actually was. But maybe unreleased recordings will come out and blow our minds. Maybe.

Yeah, there's one thing to say that you didn't like her music or her lifestyle or both and another to start pouring out hatred when you hear about her death.

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    The reason I'm bumstung is because she's not a good artist who was cut down in her prime, she's not a tortured soul who lost a battle with her inner demons, she was an entirely mediocre, overrated hag who made music worse, not better.
    Actually she was those first two things to some extent, but she was more a Jeff Buckley type, someone who could have gone on to do so much more.

And calling her a hag is beyond pathetic.

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    I don't understand why people find they need to be vitriolic. She's dead. The amount of hate I've read, especially on facebook, is bizarre. I'm not lauding her at all, never have and never will, but why? It's better for a dead person to be perhaps undeservedly remembered positively than to be hated to such an extent.
    It's for exactly the reason that MILF displayed. It's because they get made into some kind of errorless god. The hate stems, yes, from dislike to the person in the first place. But it is then enhanced tenfold by people who take extreme offence to the slating of the person for the primary reason that they are deceased and thus, apparently, deserve more respect.
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Banned
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon Dude View Post
    It's for exactly the reason that MILF displayed. It's because they get made into some kind of errorless god. The hate stems, yes, from dislike to the person in the first place. But it is then enhanced tenfold by people who take extreme offence to the slating of the person for the primary reason that they are deceased and thus, apparently, deserve more respect.
    If somebody wants to hold her as a role-model then so be it. She was not a horrendous criminal or a mass murderer, she was a drug-addled woman whos' crippling addictions led to her own demise. It is far more reprehensible when killers such as the kids from Columbine or Raoul Moat are glamorised and subsequently idolised. That's where the problem lies, not in a singer who harmed nobody but herself.

Yes, we know she looks like a mangled horse. We aren't defending her. Hopefully charlie is right and she will be known more for her potential than beatifying what she's already done, but there's no need for the hatred of her lifestyle. It's what rockstars do.

EDIT: May not agree with Demon Dude's construction of Dwarf Forts, but agree with what he's saying there.

Yeah MILF, beyond pathetic.