Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Amy Winehouse is found dead.

Huh? Flower?! What the hell?! Administrator Psychotic's Avatar
    Articles

It's sad that a woman in her 20's has died before her time, and it's a tragedy about the way it happened. I feel sorry for her loved ones. I don't for her as she had the chance, opportunity and financial means to get the help she needed that many drug addicts don't have, and she squandered it.

Oh, and her music was dire.

Banned
    Blog Entries

This all got very EoEO.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Some of those people actually made worthwhile contributions to music, and haven't killed themselves through drug abuse and alcoholism.
    Such as.....?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Steve Steve Steve Steve Iceglow's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm the first to admit that I don't like Amy Winehouse's singing, IMHO she done one passable song and that was a cover of Valerie and it was better than the original no doubt about that but then the original was sung by The Zutons who are a terrible band means it wasn't hard to improve on that performance.

I've actually met Amy Winehouse, it's ironic she was a year older than me and grew up in the same area of London as I did which means we probably should have had some mutual friends at the very least but we didn't meet apart from one 20 minute moment in work where I was serving her at the tills. She was off her face then, unsurprisingly. Considering I've met and spoken to the woman I can't understand the people I see on Facebook who don't know her and never met her being all like "OMFG Amy ;_;" and actually tearing up over her death actually annoy me. It's the whole "you didn't know them and so sure, it sucks she died but it's not like you personally lost something or someone. If you'd like though my bitch slap can give you a reason to cry." situation, we've seen it before with other celebs and iconic figures but it doesn't make sense and never has done to me.

The thing that has surprised me so far is that no one has said publicly "Hey kids, remember when we all tell you drugs are bad? And you all answer 'mmkay' and never really listen and then go off and get mixed up in them? Well here you go, one prime example of why drugs, including alcohol are bad. Now listen to us" She can even in her death be a role model, a good one if you put the right spin on it. Ok so she isn't a role model of how to live your life, she is a role model for how not to live your life that doesn't make her any less of a good role model or example or lesson learned. Drugs are bad and you should avoid them because drugs are a slippery slope and once you get started it's all too easy to become the next Amy Winehouse except without the fame and money.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Yeah MILF, beyond pathetic.
    That's me told I am so sorry that I am not wailing with grief over an extraordinarily overrated person who utterly self-destructed despite all the resources at her disposal to avert this it's just that while i feel any death is a tragedy i don't think she was any more notable than the 150,000 other people who died yesterday and can't summon terribly much sympathy for her because i am actually glad she won't make any more music and as pauw said she had far better chances than most of getting help but her most famous song is about refusing to get help

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Such as.....?
    Are you seriously asking what contributions Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, and David Smurfing Bowie have made to music? Seriously? I don't even like The Beatles and I'm not a huge fan of the Stones but I'm not going to deny that they were important.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    Yes, we know she looks like a mangled horse. We aren't defending her. Hopefully charlie is right and she will be known more for her potential than beatifying what she's already done, but there's no need for the hatred of her lifestyle. It's what rockstars do.

EDIT: May not agree with Demon Dude's construction of Dwarf Forts, but agree with what he's saying there.
    But I don't hate her lifestyle. I don't give a flying smurf one way or the other. I'm just not going to pretend it was anything other than it was, and sure as Steve will write run-on sentences I'm not going to laud her for it, and as I don't like her music, I'm not going to laud her for that either. Oh and potential doesn't impress me. I've got tons of potential but I don't expect to win awards for books I've not written yet. Potential is meaningless until you do something with it.
    Last edited by Madame Adequate; 07-25-2011 at 02:38 AM.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMKA
    Such as.....?
    Are you seriously asking what contributions Paul McCartney, Keith Richards, Bob Dylan, and David Smurfing Bowie have made to music? Seriously? I don't even like The Beatles and I'm not a huge fan of the Stones but I'm not going to deny that they were important.
    I just wanted to see your response. xD
    I like Kung-Fu.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It's certainly not shocking that she's dead, but unfortunate given her age and her plight with drugs. I may have not liked her music or followed it very thoroughly, but she could sing. She had promise and regardless of whether she was arguably very talented and definitely not a role model, she influenced people. It's also unfortunate when someone comes in a thread scorning people giving appropriate condolences. Just because people weren't fond of someone's lifestyle or their music doesn't mean they should be chastised for offering their sympathy.

Knew her name, wasn't familiar with her work. But it's a tragedy nonetheless for someone so talented.
    Vote in my EoFF Popularity Poll for every game and character in the series thus far: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/8N6VZ98!

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

@ Everybody saying she's being overrated/glorified just because she died: Isn't it natural to focus on the good parts when remembering a person who's died, and regretting the loss of them? Is it so terrible to put aside complete and utter objectivity for a while and mourning that there will be no more of the parts you liked? So what if you didn't like them or think they weren't important... people have different opinions and there's no need to poison the mood for those who are sad about the loss of someone who has made an impact, however slight, on their lives.

Nobody is asking anyone to offer Amy Winehouse respect they feel she's undeserving of, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a little respect for those who did like her, for whatever reason that may be.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Congratulating Amy Winehouse on 24 hours of sobriety!!

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by Rantz Rantz Revolution View Post
    @ Everybody saying she's being overrated/glorified just because she died: Isn't it natural to focus on the good parts when remembering a person who's died, and regretting the loss of them? Is it so terrible to put aside complete and utter objectivity for a while and mourning that there will be no more of the parts you liked? So what if you didn't like them or think they weren't important... people have different opinions and there's no need to poison the mood for those who are sad about the loss of someone who has made an impact, however slight, on their lives.

Nobody is asking anyone to offer Amy Winehouse respect they feel she's undeserving of, but I don't think it's too much to ask for a little respect for those who did like her, for whatever reason that may be.
    Thank you, I'll copy and paste this everytime a controversial celebrity dies.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    And the disgusting English Tabloids strike again. The Express had a front page with Her death on it, but nothing about Norway. Half of the rest had half or more of the page taken up by her. More deserving things are going on than another Heroin addict topping herself.
    That isn't a reflection on the tabloid, it's a reflection on the market. The general public are more prone to pick up a paper when reading that instead of the tragedy in Norway. It is a shame though. :/

Str8 Pimpin'

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rocket Edge View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    And the disgusting English Tabloids strike again. The Express had a front page with Her death on it, but nothing about Norway. Half of the rest had half or more of the page taken up by her. More deserving things are going on than another Heroin addict topping herself.
    That isn't a reflection on the tabloid, it's a reflection on the market. The general public are more prone to pick up a paper when reading that instead of the tragedy in Norway. It is a shame though. :/
    The Express didn't have Norway on the Saturday either, so it's not like Amy Winehouse bumped it off the front page. It's just the Express being idiots. All the proper newspapers have kept Norway as the main topic both yesterday and today, it's not a contest between the two events.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Mass murder vs 1 dead singer...
    At least she'l be chillin with 2pac at the thugs mansions next along with the mass murderers victims.

Not breaking faith today Shaibana's Avatar
    Blog Entries

wast´nt shocked at all. like everyone says; i couldv been predicted.

im not a huge fan of her, liked some of her songs, but she did really had a unike voice. (im not saying that just becaus shes dead now)

p.s jeezz.. ive bin writing the word Unike over 20 times .. how is it spelled correct? i know its not this way xD