Thread: What is the best party for a Low Level Class Change?

Default What is the best party for a Low Level Class Change?

What is the best party for a Low Level Class Change?

Is this a good Party?

Fighter
    Thief
    White Mage
    Black Mage

What do you think the best party for a low level class change...I know that you will need a thief just to pass random battles to avoid getting exp

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

white mage
    white mage
    white mage
    white mage

If you're looking to be awesome.

Your set-up looks good for a low level. A possible change is black mage ~> red mage but it's not a necessity by any means.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    white mage
    white mage
    white mage
    white mage

If you're looking to be awesome.

Your set-up looks good for a low level. A possible change is black mage ~> red mage but it's not a necessity by any means.
    why red mage...i mean isnt red mage bad late game?

Blog Entries

It's iffy. I should've rephrased it to you COULD but shouldn't. You can manage with a red mage but a black mage is better.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    It's iffy. I should've rephrased it to you COULD but shouldn't. You can manage with a red mage but a black mage is better.
    Why is black Mage better?

Blog Entries

Well, in a low level run the black mage will have more mp at its disposal for the long fights that are bound to happen. Red mage will get the same magic with decent armor and ability to use swords but near end-game.... actually now that I think about it they seem quite equal. I'm being very indecisive today.
    Black mage would pack more punch but red mage has more versatility. In a low level run black mage having the edge of higher level magic is moot for obvious reasons. In a low-level-run versatility and durability are a must. So black mage would probably be slaughtered constantly as would a white mage.
    Hell this guy went 2 red mages and 2 warriors and won.
    Low-Level Challenge

EDIT: yes I know I'm changing my mind a lot. I'm not one to do low-level-runs. So my ideas are bound to clash until I find out the best combo.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

If you can exploit the ship game for elemental items, and if you're planning on maximizing your characters through the stat boosting items in the bonus dungeons, the Red Mage pulls ahead of Black. They can both cast nuke with the use of a particular staff. The Red Mage can also wear armor and use weapons. In a perfected game of FF1 in its newest incarnations, being PSP and iOS, the Black Mage has nothing to offer by game's end.

Fighter, Thief, Red, White would be my team for any game where I'm pulling out all the stops in terms of practically cheating to class change by level 11, and maximize my characters' potentials in every way. How far are you willing to go to exploit mechanics?

In a game of traditional FF1 mechanics, be it NES or Origins-traditional, I'd say go with two fighters, a red mage and a white mage. The black belt is the friend of the over-leveller, and that won't be you. The thief has nothing going for him at all. Black Mage is just a 1hp dealing knife swinger until boss fights, where, in a low level challenge, he'll have as few casts of spells as possible, rest assured. The Fighter and Red Mage were overpowered in FF1 in its original status - might as well use it. You'll need a Whm for healing.
    Knock yourselves down.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Yeah, the version you are using is really important. There are a lot of changes that make it impossible to give blanket advice. (Other than have a Fighter in front. )
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Yeah, the version you are using is really important. There are a lot of changes that make it impossible to give blanket advice. (Other than have a Fighter in front. )
    I'm using the game boy advance version dawn of souls

Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post
    If you can exploit the ship game for elemental items, and if you're planning on maximizing your characters through the stat boosting items in the bonus dungeons, the Red Mage pulls ahead of Black. They can both cast nuke with the use of a particular staff. The Red Mage can also wear armor and use weapons. In a perfected game of FF1 in its newest incarnations, being PSP and iOS, the Black Mage has nothing to offer by game's end.

Fighter, Thief, Red, White would be my team for any game where I'm pulling out all the stops in terms of practically cheating to class change by level 11, and maximize my characters' potentials in every way. How far are you willing to go to exploit mechanics?

In a game of traditional FF1 mechanics, be it NES or Origins-traditional, I'd say go with two fighters, a red mage and a white mage. The black belt is the friend of the over-leveller, and that won't be you. The thief has nothing going for him at all. Black Mage is just a 1hp dealing knife swinger until boss fights, where, in a low level challenge, he'll have as few casts of spells as possible, rest assured. The Fighter and Red Mage were overpowered in FF1 in its original status - might as well use it. You'll need a Whm for healing.
    I'm playing the game boy advance one...dawn of souls...which party is best for low level class change for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeymz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Garland View Post

I'm playing the game boy advance one...dawn of souls...which party is best for low level class change for it?
    I can tell you first hand that the default War/Thf/Whm/Blm can class change at the earliest possible level, by only fighting mandatory boss battles, at level 11. I've done it. It'll be easier for you if you play the number game on the ship and get a boatload of elemental defense and elemental attack items - mostly for Lich (the end-all of the low level class change).

Here's how it'll go. You'll beat Garland no problem, and the pirates. If you got yourself a few lightning casting items, the piscodemons will be no sweat. Note- save before them, and make sure you fight as few as possible. Their quantity is random. Then Astos will be the same luck of the draw he always is. When you finally get to Lich, you'll find yourself emasculated. Your damage will suck to an extent it's never sucked before. His won't. He can one shot your mages when he feels like it. Use barblizzara items. Casting items will be your best friend. After a lot of resets, you'll eventually win. After that, it's smooth sailing. Make sure you don't fight more than one zombie dragon in the citadel.

EDIT: If you really want to maximize the ship game, the first time you beat it, even if you're about to win in 30 seconds, wait. Beat the necessary score by a split second - only win by the smallest amount necessary to get an item reward. Wait to move that last tile. Then repeat. If your first win is in 30 seconds, you've killed your longterm potential for item winning. Win by as little as possible, and you can get tons more items. It gets boring, but that's what min-maxing is all about - taking fun games and making them work.
    Knock yourselves down.

Original NES version, regardless of any challenge or anything, Fighter Fighter Red Mage Red Mage owns all.

However for a DoS run through you are better off with at least one Black Mage to make good use of those magic casting item. I never did a low level challenge for this version because the mechanics they changed made it an entirely new game from the original.

THE JACKEL
    add me, PSN: ljkkjlcm9

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Why would F/Th/WM/BM be better for low level class change (or just better in general) than F/F/WM/BM? The thief is nothing but a weaker fighter before class change.

Though it may depend on the version you're playing.

I suppose, to me, the answer comes down to a balance of what's the best for class changing at 11, and what's the best overall once you've fully powered your party. To me, it comes down to - what are the most powerful equips in the game, how many can you get, and which classes can use them. A thief over a 2nd fighter essentially comes down to ensuring nobody in my party ends up using 2nd best equips. SE really balanced the loot offerings in their special dungeons for a balanced party of no duplicates. Since the classic party is capable of class changing at 11, and I'm capable of class changing with it at 11, making any further concessions for the sake of such, if such changes negatively impact my tweaked out final setup, seems self defeating. I suppose what it comes down to is, there's no way to change any lower than 11, so that sets a threshold that really need not be exceeded in terms of choosing classes for early power vs late.
    Knock yourselves down.

Blog Entries

Fighters and Knights could beat the game at nearly any level, since their power comes from their equipment far more than from their stats.

I mean, lowest level game means something like level 9-14, depending on how frustrated you get with random encounters you can't run from, right? That means 1 or 2 lv 5 magic spells for a mage. Black Belt won't be able to compete.
    And if you are fighting Chaos at lv 10 or 11, you will barely even touch lv 4 magic with a white or black mage. Items will provide all the magic you need. If any.
    If you think FAST is important enough to waste a Red Mage on, then get a RM, otherwise, the only party is F/F/F/T