Thread: Completing the Fantasy

FFXIV Character

Devore Jojishi (Sargatanas)

Boco Completing the Fantasy

With the re:release of the classic Final Fantasy games on to PSP or being downloadable, is everyone going to give up on collecting the originals and just get the newer versions. I know Im debating it.

Im sure there are many here who have colleced them all but for those like me who would like the originals but knows that a brand new, half the price, highly rended version with new features and movie sequences would be much more enjoyable.

What have you guys gone for: Original or Updated Version

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

When I'm wealthy I will definitely be getting them.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I already played most of the originals so I don't feel the need to collect them. Since I have played most of them many times I do prefer the remakes because they are a fresher experience.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I'm not overly bothered by the version, in all honesty. So long as it's got the same story and battle layout, if I've played it, I've played it. I currently own...

I - PSP
    II - PSP
    III - DS
    V - PSP/PS3
    VI - PSP/PS3
    VII - PSX and PSP/PS3
    VIII - PSX and PSP/PS3
    IX - PSP/PS3
    X - PS2
    XI - PC
    XII - PS2
    XIII - PS3
    XIV - PC

I'll probably eventually get IV as well. Along with the above, I've played the PC version of VII and VIII along with the ROM versions of I, II, III, IV, V, VI and VII. So basically, it's a mix of old and new versions that I've played, but mostly the newer versions of older games.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Yeah I'm also not terribly bothered by version. I only own about half the FFs anyway (actually, I've only ever played about half of them), and it doesn't really bother me if the one I have is the original or a remake.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Very rarely do I find that they come out with a definitive version that I like best, but I'll try my best for brevity,

FF1 - FF:Origins. Keeps the original difficulty but improves play-ability.
    FF3 - DS
    FF4 - DS increased difficulty and my inclination towards 3D blocky chibi sprites makes this a win.
    FF5 - Only have experience with SNES
    FF6 - Only have experience with SNES
    FF7 - Tough call. PC is an all round better experience, minus the accessibility of the PS3/PSP combo.
    FF9 - PS3/PSP.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

It depends on what I feel is valuable to the experience, some games I like the new releases better cause they fix things while others I prefer something closer to the original.

FFI - Origins(PS1) fixes all the bugs in the original NES version (half the spells and items don't work like they are suppose to) but, unlike the later releases, the game keeps the magic system the same as the original and keeps the difficulty the same as the original whereas the later ports (DoS, 20th Anniversary, iPhone) nerf the difficulty something awful in exchange for a few extra dungeons.

FFII - Origins version, see above. Basically its the closest to the original version without emulation or getting a Famicom.

FFIII(DS) - Never played the original, so I don't have a valid opinion.

FFIV (Chronicles/DS) - Chronicles keeps the original graphics, brings back everything that was butchered out of the game, has a better translation (though far from perfect) but also brings back the less forgiving difficulty. The DS is different enough to be a different experience, an odd hybrid of old and new. Its switched around the difficulty to counter the new skill system introduced, otherwise its similar to the Chronicles version with just a much greater emphasis on presentation.

FFV and FFVI (GBA) I love the translations for these games, they are much closer to the Japanese versions in their localization and it improves the clarity of the characters and story much better. Granted, the audio and visuals take a dive, but I tend to get over it pretty quickly and its not like I don't own the soundtracks. I just find it difficult to go back to the SNES or PS1 versions of the games cause the translations feel absolutely awful when compared to the GBA versions.

I don't have an opinion on the rest. The PSN versions are straight ports of the PS1 titles and outside of the International versions for FFX, X-2, and FFXII, none of which were released in my country, I can't say anything about them either.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

Depends on the game. I own all the originals and then some of the remakes as well.

I - NES, PS, GB
    II - PS, GB
    III - Just a rom. I hate the 3d remakes.
    IV - SNES, PS, GB
    V - PS
    VI - SNES, PS, GB
    VII - the rest on PS. I think I might still own a PC copy of FFVII somewhere too.

To be honest, you should play any of the original 6 FFs on any console you find them on first. They all have their minor flaws, (SNES has bad translations, GBA no headphone jack) but they are all great on whatever you get them on, FF Anthologies is one of my fav FF games. BUT I just played I, II, and IV on PSP and its been the funnest experience I've had playing those games yet, I cant express it enough, V and VI need a PSP facelift!