Thread: FFIX was the last great Final Fantasy

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default FFIX was the last great Final Fantasy

Enjoy

I must say, despite being short, and sometimes aimless, I can at least agree with some of the sentiments of the article.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I can agree with the article. IX was awesome, thoughe njoyed the other entries, they all fell flat in some compartment.

X's protagonist was completely unlikable.

XII felt an odd kind of soullessness.

XIII was too restrictive.

IX was gorgeous.

I think the series was solid up until XIII. XIII was the first slip up Square made in my opinion. I quite often find myself alone when praising XII. I thought, while lacking in story, XII was brilliant and was up to scratch with the rest of the series, albeit in a different way. That being said, IX is still one of my favourites in the series, right behind VII (and followed by XII). If people want to argue that no Final Fantasy has managed to top IX since its release then Ill accept that and even agree somewhat. But both X and XII are too good to ignore entirely. They are both easily two of the best JRPG's released in their day.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I liked XII and would say it's a brilliant game which I very much enjoyed, but to me it wasn't Final Fantasy. It felt somehwat soulless which is weird because it was a good game. Maybe because it was MMO-ish and MMO's typically seem soulless to me.

While we're on MMO's, XI was a pretty damn good one.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I agree with Dreddz.

To be honest i never liked IX as much as previous final fantasy release's. For me i though X was a far overall better game and story and was for me at least the last good FF title out there. But IX is still a good game never the less.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post

Now if X's protagonists (being Tidus and Yuna) weren't terrible then the game (at least for me) would've been far better. All the other characters (excluding Kimahri) were great.
    I still need to get my hands on IX because it seems fantastic.
    Sadly the store I would go to for my psX games doesn't have one in stock.
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

I would agree with most/some points of the article as well. Although for myself...I liked 7 & 8 much more than 9. I know there are those that will disagree with me...but I just didn't like the story or characters as much in 9. 7 & 8 just really drew me in and I fell in love with every aspect of the games.

I really liked the music in 10...but I really wanted to strangle Tidus for screaming and acting like such a teenager all the damn time I wonder if his voice was so irritating in the Japanese version...I wish they gave us an option to change the dub/sub. And I was irritated at Yuna's character...she just seemed so weak and meak and helpless and "woe is me".

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngelWings8 View Post
    I would agree with most/some points of the article as well. Although for myself...I liked 7 & 8 much more than 9. I know there are those that will disagree with me...but I just didn't like the story or characters as much in 9

...I really liked the music in 10...but I really wanted to strangle Tidus for screaming and acting like such a teenager all the damn time
    Really? I just started Final Fantasy 9, and I feel a lot more engrossed in the characters than I did with 7 or 8. The scene where the black mages protect Vivi from the Third Black Waltz to me was more heart wrenching than Aerith's death.

Also, to go a bit off-topic, the one thing I liked about Tidus was how frustrated he was in a world so unlike his own. Granted, he didn't have much else going for him, but I can say I legitimately felt for him a couple of times, though not to frequently; he's really good at smurfing up any connections I felt with him. Plus I liked his narration segments, because it gave me the impression that he matured from the whiny child he started of with. It's a shame he never seemed to show that side of him though.

But, back to FF9, I love it so far. My only problem is how you learn skills. I'm almost at the end of disc one, and I still need to max out the ability my Mage Masher grants me (I think it's detect). What are some good places to get AP after you leave Lindblum after the festival of the hunt?
    Returners Represent!

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

all this is tl;dr so i'll just sum it all up with

Lol, no it wasn't.

The combat is way too unrefined.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by TrollHunter View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post

Now if X's protagonists (being Tidus and Yuna) weren't terrible then the game (at least for me) would've been far better. All the other characters (excluding Kimahri) were great.
    I still need to get my hands on IX because it seems fantastic.
    Sadly the store I would go to for my psX games doesn't have one in stock.
    You can get it off the PSN store.

I beg to differ. Yes IX was awesome (my personal favourite) but X is definately up there with the best FFs. It's better than VIII (a lot) and VI (marginally). All of the characters in X was awesome. IMO, they had the best cast of characters who were all relevant to the story and had an interesting way of dealing with their backstories.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

I'm not sure if I like the article, but FFIX is definitely my most favourite of the series and in general. The only downside for me is the speed of the battles, other than that I love everything about it. I love the characters, the art style, the world, the story, etc. It's not a game to be taken seriously in terms of depth but it has a great whimsical quality about it that makes me fall in love with it every time.

On a side note, I much prefer a world setting where it's organic meets high tech (FFXIII despite not really liking the game overall). I think medieval fantasy is way over done and can come across as rather boring. However, for FFIX it just seems to work so well for me - probably the colourfulness of it.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

I have to agree FFIX is one of the best games of the series and perhaps the last good game, I enjoyed the return to roots before the series went to PS2, FFX...was alright I didn't care for Tidus and I could see Yuna or Auron as a better lead protagionist. FFX-2 killed the series for me, Spoony said it best, it put too much different stuff in the games too quick to the point it's not Final Fantasy anymore. From there I lost interest in later titles.

i did enjoy 9 not as much as 7 and 8 while 7 and 8 had a sort of grown up seriousness 9 seemed to cater for a younger audience still good though