Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Captain America

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Default Captain America

It was ok. My least favorite of the Avengers series, to be sure, but not horrible. Captain America is pretty stupid regardless.

The post-credits stuff was loverly.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

On my way to see it now. Yay WWII!
    I like Kung-Fu.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Will probably see this Tuesday since movies are $5 on Tuesday and that seems like the right price to pay for Cap.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

There's a theater somewhere in the world that shows new movies for only $5? I am amazed.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

It's about 20 feet from our house, actually! It's an older theater that doesn't usually get the big budget movies. We have seen The Adjustment Bureau and Hanna there for $5. Green Lantern was there but I think I would have to be paid $5 to see that one.

FFXIV Character

I liked it well enough, really got into it, they did a wonderful job of capturing the time period. I wonder what they plan on doing with this connection they're building between these Avengers films?
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

You did stay until after the credits, right?

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by ShlupQuack View Post
    No, my compatriots rushed out because one of them had to be somewhere and I was providing the ride. Blah.

I only got to watch until the portion with the Uncle Sam paintings stopped. :[
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I managed to see this and I was very pleased by it. It was well made, interesting, had some great visuals, but it did have some downfalls.

I have to still put Thor and Iron Man above this, but it is better than the Incredible Hulk and Iron Man 2. There are some things I ponder though
    (SPOILER) I think I'm pretty sure that Red Skull was transported to one of the other 8 realms and he'll probably end up being a villain in the Avengers movie. Seeing the cosmic cube later with Stark confused me a bit as I wonder why the mention of the cube and it's technology wasn't seen in any of the other movies, but it will return in the Avengers. I also speculate if Derek Hunt's character was a reference to Isaiah Bradley. I was hoping for some deep portrayal of the cruelties of war and what not, but the movie's quality did not make me upset for the lack of that. Bucky was probably frozen too just like Cap.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

You disliked this movie more than the incredible hulk? hmmm

I only have one question: (SPOILER)What did the red skull punch a dent into when he first attacked cpt america? Not his shield - that's impossible.

I'm not 'paying' to watch the movie again just for one scene.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post
    No, my compatriots rushed out because one of them had to be somewhere and I was providing the ride. Blah.

Well that's lame. Here, I found it on YouTube for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    You disliked this movie more than the incredible hulk? hmmm

I only have one question: (SPOILER)What did the red skull punch a dent into when he first attacked cpt america? Not his shield - that's impossible.

I'm not 'paying' to watch the movie again just for one scene.
    The Incredible Hulk was great! The 2008 one, not the 2003 one, obviously.

And I think he punched his USO show costume shield, didn't he?

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

yes you are right. I somehow got it in my head he had the (SPOILER)vibranium shield from the start -_-

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by DMKA View Post

Well that's lame. Here, I found it on YouTube for you.
    It's 2011. I can't believe I fell for that.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Haha, okay, try this one.

Or this one. Really this time.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Saw it yesterday. It was good. Not on the level of Iron Man or Thor, or X-Men First Class for that matter, but it was worth my 5 bucks. I really liked the action, especially when he was throwing his shield around to knock stuff out, classic Cap. I also liked the cheese. It seemed at first that they were playing it straight with Steve's troubles with his physical weakness and trying to get into the army. Then they kind of poked fun at the cheese with the song and dance routine (which I loved). But when he became Captain America for reals the cheese was on in full force. 'Let's hear it for Captain America!' 'Wait, kiss me before you jump on that moving plane!' etc. Kinda weird but I liked it because, hell, this is a comic book movie. I hate when they take it too seriously.

We definitely haven't seen the end of the Red Skull, which is good because I thought Hugo Weaving was a great Red Skull. Chris Evans was ok as Cap. He did a good job in the role but he just doesn't have much of a screen presence. I think he will be greatly overshadowed by Iron Man and Thor in the Avengers movie.

The CGI of weak Steve Rogers was awkward, but I guess they couldn't have done it any other way. Also I think Cap's crew was too overpowered. It's ok to believe Captain America could zipline down onto a moving train or force his way into a fortified Hydra base, but his buddies did that stuff too, and they're just normal soldiers.

The worst part of this movie was actually the trailer for Amazing Spider-Man. Why the hell are they doing ANOTHER Spider-Man origin story? And this time they're seemingly starting from when he's a kid. It takes so god damn long to get Spidey from weak Peter Parker into the costume that you don't have a lot of time to see him as Spider-Man. And do we really need another montage of him floating around New York discovering his powers? In first-person no less? The first Spider-Man movie wasn't outstanding or anything, but was it really bad enough that you have to basically tell the exact same story 10 years later? There's only so much creative license you have with the Spider-Man origin that I don't know how the hell they are going to make it unique. A reboot is fine. When they rebooted Hulk they didn't do the origin again, instead they more or less picked up where the last Hulk movie ended, with him on the run and trying to cope with his powers. Instead of starting Spidey from SCRATCH they should have done what they did with the first Batman movie and make him already Spider-Man yet new at the role. That way you can avoid the whole weak-ass Peter->bit by spider->jumps around NY with new powers->wrestles for cash->doesn't stop Ben's killer->becomes Spider-Man chain of events that we've seen over and over again (in cartoons, movies, rebooted comics, etc.). Also why isn't Peter wearing glasses? BLARGH