Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1.19 - The "Monster Patch"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

You going to get a bit of playtime when it's out, man? You've been keeping up a lot, it seems, although you still haven't got a character to rank 20 in anything! It's very easy to rank up these days so I'd suggest getting at least one up the ranks so that you can enjoy the increase in content you get as a result.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Yeah I wanted to wait until this mega patch is out first, and I'm two ways about keeping my Lala or going for a Roe - I like both! I'm almost tempted to wait until the new jobs come out if it completely changes the way the battle system works though!

Some more stuff released:
    Upcomming Jobs on Famitsu's front cover
    Materia Slots and the Future of PVP
    Video of Beastmen Strongholds
    Last edited by Rostum; 09-22-2011 at 12:52 AM.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

If you like PVP, apparently Lalafell is the way to go. I love my Roegadyn though. =] There is only one downside to it that I can think of, and that's the camera angle. When yer head is that high up, it can make for awkward first-person viewing when you are in a fight. You often end up looking directly downwards at enemies who are at yer feet. I imagine the problem could be the opposite with the Lalafell, always looking up! If you prefer third person viewing, though, then I imagine it wouldn't really matter at all. Personally, I favour tanking, so I like being a big neo-galka. You look the part, you feel the part... and it's easier for people to select you when healing. Although most good healers just tend to avoid using the mouse and prefer using macros / keys for that end, at least, Danielle does.

I like the look o the beastman strongholds. If that music is the music for each stronghold, I'm beginning to consider putting the music back on for FFXIV. I've had it off for ages, but with the chocobo music, the Ul'dah music (I'm unsure if it's always the way it was during the fire festival, but if it is, that's awesome) and whatnot... the music seems to just keep getting better. Maybe it's just the Thanalan music I didn't care for.

Well I do prefer third person view. Hmm, hard decision.

I am unsure about the look of the beastmen strongholds. It looks like the same recycled landscape but they threw some buildings on top and a bunch of mobs.

Chocobo and Airships

Looks like we won't be able to actually run around the airship until a future update. Hmm, what is the incentive to take the airship over just using anima to warp?

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Maybe if you're out of anima, or low on it.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I know this isn't FFXIV but it's related, as in why couldn't FFXIV's environments be as rich and colourful as these? This is just the first zone - Blade & Soul - The Dragon's Forest Zone Tour HD - YouTube

SE go employ the environment artists from Blade and Soul prz.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Don't you go pulling another thread off topic like last time! Keep B&S in General Gaming. But seriously, make a thread about the game there because I'm pretty sure everyone who views that video will be wanting to talk about the game.

You say "Why can't FFXIV designers do this?" - has any MMO ever looked even remotely close to as good as that, ever? It's like Crysis quality graphics, but an MMO. That's insane. My question isn't why the others have done it, but (probably closely linked) how they have done it. Because playing that game as an MMO, with that quality graphics... what kind of a machine do we need, how will load times work, etc? Is this game designed purely for South Korea's ahead-of-the-curve network & technology? It's incredible. But yes. Uhm. Back to patch 1.19 now. Post something about B&S in General Gaming so I can post this reply there.

AVAST, YE LILY LIVERED LANDLUBBER! Sorry I couldn't help myself. Believe it or not but you don't need a computer half the requirement that FFXIV needs to be able to at least play the game. Anyways, I'm more talking about the design over the tech. Technically FFXIV has higher-res textures and normal maps, and other cool shaders to get their unique lighting effects, but the overall design is bland. (See Tera, GW2 and Aion in terms of design without the tech)

Anyways, I am not sure what else about 1.19 there is to say unless Yoshi has more stuff to reveal. Already there is a lot.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Aye, it already seems like talk in the FFXIV forums is turning towards the upcoming job system for patch 1.20 or 1.21 or whatever, mostly due to some random concept art being released. Including the transforming bow that turns into a harp or something like that, cue the new word being thrown about: "Barcher" :P

Oh I forgot to write, they delayed the patch until the 5th of October.

Sorry to double post but this was really interesting:

[patch1.19] Patch 1.19 Notes

It's such a huge patch. I don't think I've ever seen one so big for an MMO. Especially not one that's been losing money for the last year.

It will be very interesting to see what the game will be like after patch 1.20. Almost something completely different to when it was released. But only time will tell whether it'll be worth playing.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Damn that's a lot of stuff.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

That patch is actually pretty damn impressive. I might want to play a bit now. With updates like these I am also feeling more inclined to actually pay for the game.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I for one will definitely be checking this out when the much hyped PS3 release actually happens.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I think the PS3 release will definitely be worth checking out and most likely will get in a lot of players if they market it right. I'm still slightly inclined not to play just yet until the new job system is put in. Still unsure exactly what they're planning with it.