Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: do you think we will ever get any new material to play with for ff9?

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

It's available for download on Playstation Network. For $9.99, I think. You can play PS1 Classics on PS3s and PSPs!

Yeah, you have to buy it through PSN. The one copy will work on both PSP and PS3.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

With no Sakaguchi around, I don't think anything related to FFIX will ever see the light of day. Even if it did, it wouldn't be the same.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Nope, I don't see it happening. As great as it is (one of my personal favourites) it isn't as well recieved as many FF titles. Although I have spotted a trend in games that recieve a prequel/sequel.

FFIV: First SNES era game, got a sequel
    FFVII: First PS era game, got many sequels and prequels
    FFX: First PS2 era game, got a sequel
    FFXII:First PS3 era game, got a sequel

The only other FF to buck the trend was XII with Revenant Wings, but that was a DS only game so it wasn't really made to sell millions.

Edit: Recently bought IX on PSN. Playing it on my PS3. 10 years on and it still beats most of the games of today.
    When we dance, it looks just like Fire.

When we sing, it sounds the same tone.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Dress it up however you like, KaiserDragon has the right of it. It wasn't extremely popular compared to other FF's of the new era. Unpopular, means less profit. Unless there's some huge internet phenomenon demanding some sort of sequel I don't see it happening. It doesn't matter how passionate they are about it. It doesn't matter if it's the apple of their eye, and they're very proud of it. They're a business, and if they don't think it will make money the odds of a sequel happening are abysmal.

I actually like it that way. It's tough for me to pick a favorite from the PS1 era (probably 8, but it's tough). The PS1 era introduced a new flavor to the Final Fantasy series on a new console. Not 9 though. It acknowledged it's roots more. 9 was an homage to the more classic game play of the older generation. It was fun, it was like coming back home, and it was a classy end to a very good chapter in Square's history. The whole game was just solid. Hats off.

Things after that have been more rocky. Some highs some lows. I think if they tried something they'd twist it to conform to what the old gamers want and something they think would appeal to newer gamers. They'd try to achieve mass appeal for maximum marketability and lose the charm of the first one. I don't think it would work.

I'd just like them to just leave 9 alone. I wish they'd left 7 alone.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

FFV also has a sequel anime, though most wish to forget about it...

I think the closest you'll ever get is when Sakaguchi uploaded all his notes and some original drafts of the script on his blog at the Mistwalker website. Though the character designer for IX has been working with the Dissidia team and created an original costume for Kuja as DLC. Its just going to be little stuff, but like some people have said, I feel we're better off not letting SE milk it.

Unfortunately, no.

The most we can hope for is a possible spin-off, but I really doubt it. The other games are more popular.

Oh.. please no.

This game is already perfect, don't mess with it. Square can't be trusted these days.

I don't think it's likely that we'll be getting anything for FFIX unless Square feels like they're running out of money or something. And that doesn't seem likely any time soon either.

Which makes me sort of sad. I'm not really fond of the Compilation or FFX's sequel (I don't /hate/ them persay. I'm pretty neutral on them, but don't think as good a job as the originals), but at the same time, I would like to see FFIX get a little more attention and respect. A spin-off /might/ be cool, but if that happened, it'd likely happen on a handheld. Although I wouldn't mind it on the 3DS, to be perfectly honest. I don't know if Square could handle it properly, but I would at least like to see it.

Oh well. I guess I'll have to stick to planning fanfiction if I want more material.

"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

Arylettopia (Update: 7/31) | LiveJournal | DeviantArt | Backloggery | Last.FM | Tumblr

Articles
    Blog Entries

You're probably more likely to get something else from VII before you get another thing from IX. It's like Hot Shot pointed out, the first games of each generation had the biggest impact, regardless of whether you argue the later ones are better (I do sometimes).

Personally I hope they don't touch it. I thoroughly enjoyed Advent Children for what it was, but none of the other FFVII Compilation projects appealed to me and I think X-2 was an abomination (never played it!). The After Years was really cool story-wise but it really accentuated the soul-less dungeon crawls of FFIV and how they served virtually no purpose other than to drag out the play clock. I think a direct sequel to FFXIII is the worst possible concept to have Kitase, Toriyama, Hamauzu, and Nojima working on. They're all souring their credibility by touching it. The only sequel I thought was awesome was Revenant Wings: I'm a hardcore RPG & RTS veteran, so all of you need to shut the hell up. I think every FF should and needs to standalone, so if you have an FF team doing nothing, have them make the next FF; if someone's already working on that, have them make a new IP to kep the creativity flowing, and bring those ideas back into FF at a later date. Who knows, you may have another hit on your hands.

As far as if it's feasible, to my knowledge, FFIX was a collaboration between Hironobu Sakaguchi, Hiroyuki Ito, Hideo Minaba, and Nobuo Uematsu. Uematsu may work freelance, but he's demonstrated he's willing to work for Square as much as an in-house employee would, so his absence makes no difference. Only Sakaguchi is unlikely to get involved, and while I credit him for the conception of the game, he had nothing to do with its implementation, although I'm sure he did play some supervisory role as the producer.

As for the OP's statements about businesses, there's tons of executives who clearly care about the creative direction of games, just as much, if not more, than their business considerations. Shinji Hashimoto at Square and Shuei Yoshida at PlayStation are both HUGE gamers who have their positions because they want to work at the "candy store." Hideo Kojima was/is on the board of directors at Konami and few individuals have pioneered this medium as far as he has.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I disagree about Sakeguchi's involvement in IX, as I said, one look from his notes and some unused first and second drafts of the game, you can pretty much tell he was heavily involved in every story scene and location layout, hell he's been quoted as saying that IX is his favorite FF and the one he feels embodies his vision of what FF should be. So I would say he was more than just a supervisor who occasionally came in to see how things were doing.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think this game is one of the least likely FF games to get anything other than ports. Not because it's inferior in quality, the reasoning is strictly economical. 3D games require more work than 2D games, and this game reeled in the least amount of money out of the main series 3D games. The other 3D games are due for a remake or two before FF9.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

I personally miss the days when there was no such thing as sequels in the FF series. I'd be just fine if they'd stop all this spinoff/sequel debauchery and just move on to the next game.

That's not to say I haven't enjoyed the sequels and don't look forward to upcoming sequels, it just seems like all the sequels/spinoffs they have done are lite, cheap and watered down. Playing X-2 and Dirge of Cerberus felt like watching The Lion King II: Simba's Pride or Cinderella III: A Twist in Time; Sure they were entertaining, but there was a lot to be desired, and that slight taste of injustice to the predecessor which was never structered to have a follow up in the first place.

Actually, what's happened with Disney animated features and the FF series is remarkably parallel, and amusingly enough it began around the time Kingdom Hearts came out.
    I like Kung-Fu.