Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: The thread of discussing my stupid cars and how I waste my

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Race update.

Barber can be summed up as "plagued by difficulties." Upon arrival we were dejected to see that there were NO practice sessions scheduled. We hadn't seen the track in 8 years or more, and our first time out would be qualifying. We run in two separate groups since the cars are so different.

So, on troutty old tires I still managed to qualify mid pack. The guys with more money had better and newer Hoosiers. We had to spend our tire money on rebuilding the engine from last season. Hopefully, I'll have new tires for next season.

We had done much more work on dad's car, so he sucked it up and simply tested the car during qualifying. Meaning he didn't qualify well at all for his group.

So next was my first race........and with 5 minutes to go before start, my car wouldn't crank. The rest of the field was already out on it's pace lap, when the car finally fired off. So I had to start from pit lane (essentially the back of the field.)

To play catch up, I was hopping curbs and other not so smart maneuvers that eventually ripped part of my exhaust off. This resulted in exhaust in the cockpit burning my eyes a little. So I had made it back through about half the field (where I qualified ), but was having a little trouble keeping a good line because my vision was a little blurry. So from that point I didn't make much more progress. Then I noticed my oil pressure was fluttering. (It was hot, and I think the oil was getting too thin.) Since the race was pretty much a wash, I pulled in early to keep from damaging the poor girl. I raced enough laps to get credit, but wound up dead last.

Dad's first race: He started off strong, and even though he'd qualified poorly, he was moving up the field. Then he disappeared and I didn't see him anymore. The heat from his engine caused the welds in his header to fail. That caused the rear portion of his exhaust to vibrate off, and wedge itself in the chassis bracing. His race was done.

So not a good Saturday. We spent the rest of the night repairing the cars, and getting mild amounts of sleep.

Sunday morning qualifying. I was still on my old tires, but the guys I was running with had switched to even newer Hoosiers. They ran about 3-5 seconds a lap faster in qualifying. This was not looking good. I just couldn't get the car to stick. I qualified close to last.

Dad's qualifying session had rain, so we pulled out our 8 year old rain tires (are you seeing a pattern?) and sent him out. The tires had grip through puddles on the straights, but didn't stick well in corners.

For my race it was still raining. This actually made me sort of happy. I'm not the best in the rain, but I seem to be faster than most. So we put the 8 year old rain tires on my car and hoped for the best. The race went pretty well. My windows began fogging up, and for some reason the Fog-Ex I used wasn't helping. I made it up to 5th or 6th. Nothing amazing, but I did a lot better than I would have in the dry.

By the time dad's race came around, the track had dried. So he could run his slicks. Even though he qualified poorly, the car was finally getting dialed in. He worked his way through the field pretty well. He actually took the over all lead for the majority of the race, but was passed on the last lap. Still second place in a car that's only on it's 4th race is good. I think we'll have a pretty strong FProd car here in a year or two.

So, it was fun. I think the two improvements I need the most are new tires (obviously), and simply more seat time. It's been a long time since I've had a chance to race regularly and I need more practice.

A family member took some pictures of the other race (the one from two weeks ago), and I'll try to post those once I get them. If anyone is interested.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Man, I'm sorry you had such troutty luck at the beginning there. At least you both managed to pull of some better races at the end.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

You mean to say your vision got a little blurry because of the carbon monoxide pouring into the car?! i am glad things finished out better than they started. Maybe we'll set up a fundraiser to get you some new tires (especially rain tires!) And also hell yes we want pictures.

Signature by rubah. I think.

That's a sweet thought, but there's a lot of better things to make a donation fund for. I'm just having fun.

Maybe a donation fund to pay a faster driver.....

Hopefully I'm not coming across as an arrogant ass talking about this stuff. I don't know what people's interest levels are.

Blog Entries

Who cares what they think? I enjoy reading about it.

Blog Entries

Did you drive unsafely and endanger your eyes when I recently said you should not do exactly that?! I think you did. Why would you disobey me!?

Good job, both you and your father; despite all the mishaps, I think you both did very well. Yeah, if you keep up your performances without mechanical failures, you both should do very well!

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Usually I have very minor interest in motorsports but knowing someone who is actually in there makes it far more interesting for me! I'm surprised they wouldn't provide practice laps, but you did well enough regardless!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Thanks for the warm wishes. I won't have another race for about a month I think. That'll give me time to scan the photos (my aunt uses a film camera! ) and load them up in the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    You mean to say your vision got a little blurry because of the carbon monoxide pouring into the car?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Genius Lynx View Post
    Did you drive unsafely and endanger your eyes when I recently said you should not do exactly that?! I think you did. Why would you disobey me!?
    Oxygen is for pussies.

Blog Entries

Real men breathe exhaust fumes.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    (my aunt uses a film camera! )
    WHO DOES THAT?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    (my aunt uses a film camera! )
    WHO DOES THAT?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

You do it for a reason though. You're all about that sort of cool awesome old stuff. I think Auntie Shark is just living in the dark ages.

Dark room ages, that is.

OH HO HO

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    You do it for a reason though. You're all about that sort of cool awesome old stuff. I think Auntie Shark is just living in the dark ages.

Dark room ages, that is.

OH HO HO
    you forgot to put on your sunglasses and cue YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAH

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I always wear my sunglasses*!

*I actually lost them last week and I have been walking around blind ever since

ahahahaha shlup