Thread: The thread of discussing my stupid cars and how I waste my

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

gosh use quote post so we know what you're referring to, I had to scroll up so far!

[regrets not using crtl f]

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

I have a race this weekend in Savannah, and that reminded me I never got around to posting those photos from previous races.

The only ones I can find are from the first race at Charlotte MotorSpeedway I talked about. They're scanned and cropped from actual film pictures (I know, I know) so the quality isn't the best. Photobucket was pissing me off earlier, but I think the links are working now.

(SPOILER)

Here's me tweaking the suspension before the race, and blinking for the camera.

Here I'm drafting off of a faster car around the oval to catch another group in front of us.

Here, a few laps later we've caught the group.

Working through the group.

A few laps later, out by myself in second. First was long gone.

A picture of me coming off the track through pit lane, and two photos of waiting to get released from impound after the race.

I can't find any of the race after that, and I'm sorry these are sort of crappy. The person taking them was on the front straight which is a little boring. All the action was in the infield. Anyway, there you go!
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 04-26-2013 at 01:53 PM.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Cool! I wish I could be a race car driver.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

That's actually a pretty neat hobby, Sharky. So long as you don't die!

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Hurray the red shoes!

Signature by rubah. I think.

Default Highs and Lows.

Today was a practice day, and I'm slowly getting my times down. I'm still on those titty old tires, BUT I'm looking at my brand new/better/stickier tires right now! I'm saving them for qualifying and the race.

On the titty old (ooooold) tires I squeezed out some consistent, low/mid 1:26's for lap times. I ran several 1:26.2's up to a 1:26.7. The fastest I've ever managed here before is a 1:25 something, something. My new tires should be good for another 2 seconds, putting me at a 1:24.2 for qualifying. If I can pull that off I'll be in the battle for 3rd with two other cars, so I'm excited for a good race! This is an invitational event, so there's lots of fast guys out there. Getting a podium finish in this field would do a lot for getting my confidence back up. This year is the first time I've had a chance to race consistently in about 5 years, and I can tell I'm rusty. This is my chance to see if my car (and myself) are progressing the way I hope we are.

My dad's car had a mechanical failure, and while it's nothing catastrophic, the part is hard to come by and the car can't run with out it. So it looks like he's done for the weekend.

I'll try my best to do EOFF proud.

Blog Entries

Good luck, sharky!

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

not-quite-off-topic: say I don't know enough about cars to matter. Should I just sit down and read a car manual?

Draw the Drapes Recognized Member rubah's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I just realized. Sharky is the new RSL.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Nah RSL didn't actually race if I recall - but his dad did.

Man. Now I miss RSL. thanks Allison

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    not-quite-off-topic: say I don't know enough about cars to matter. Should I just sit down and read a car manual?
    Yes. And then car forums.

Quote Originally Posted by Peegee View Post
    Peeg, if you're as ignorant (don't take that the wrong way, you know the meaning of the word) of automotive theory as you claim, then reading a manual specific for your car might be over your head.

Try picking up some literature on how engines work, suspension set-ups, chassis geometry etc. If you find it interesting, THEN get into your car manual, and the internet forums.

Okay, I ran a 1:24.230. Right where I hoped in third place for qualifying. Let's see how the race is tomorrow.

EDIT: There's an afternoon qualifying session too, but it's looking like rain, so this time is probably as good as I'll get.
    Last edited by sharkythesharkdogg; 10-08-2011 at 05:10 PM.

Default Sorry gang. :(

Well, in the beginning I was hanging with the Integra and the 240 just like I planned. I'd actually gotten around the 240 at one point, and was feeling okay at staying with them for the race. There was another Integra that qualified behind me. A few laps into the fray he managed to motor around me on the straight.

It happens, and I knew I could get back around him. The problems started when we went into the infield. He got slow, way slow. I was trying to work my way around him, and in the mean time the two lead cars opened up a 3 car length gap.

Things got worse when we were coming onto the main straight. It's key that I carry far more momentum than they do coming onto the straight. That way I can hang in the draft. Well, as we were coming onto the front straight, the Integra in front of me suddenly lost power. (I think that's why he was so slow through the infield. His computer must have been giving him fits) I almost completely missed him, but I caught the left front on him as I tried to dodge. It wasn't a bad hit, but it ruined my momentum and gave the lead cars an even bigger gap.

So I spent the rest of the race not getting closer to them, and not able to catch up to them. I could pull them through the infield, but every time we hit the straight they'd pull back away.

Finally I had third place wrapped up with less than two laps to go, then I hit some fluid on the track. I went off, and the car bogged down in a sand trap. lame, lame, lame.

So, I worked hard but came home empty handed. Maybe next year.

Blog Entries

That's so sad.

You'll get 'em next time, bro. I'm glad nothing major happened though.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

You were robbed, but that's just bad luck I'm afraid. Don't feel like you let us down though, you're still our hero And yes, next time you will destroy them. Literally if you must!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.