0 0%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How do you like your steak?!?!

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by AngelWings8 View Post
    I suppose I've just been concerned that ordering rare would be risky and I might get sick...that's never been a problem for you "rare" people?
    Never. And I don't know anyone who's gotten sick from it either, though granted, that's not many people because most people I know are too afraid or grossed out for some reason. Steak isn't like hamburger or other types of meats you may eat. Any bacteria is apparently near the surface so a quick searing of the outside of it does the trick. And again, while my evidence is certainly anecdotal, I'd say the fact that I've never gotten sick from it certainly supports that idea. I might be concerned if the meat weren't very fresh, or was poorly stored and refrigerated, but even the stuff I buy from the store which may have been prepared as much as a day or two earlier has never given me any problems.

And to be honest, when I've seen Les Stroud eat literally rotting fish on Survivorman and still be fine, I don't worry too much about meat making me sick.

Blog Entries

Medium/medium well for me! Well done is too hard to chew for me sometimes.
    Era Vulgaris
    "My life's a chip in your pile. Ante up!" ~Setzer, FFVI

"Knights do it two-handed!" ~Drunkard, FFV

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leader of mortals View Post
    I used to order my steaks well done. I never used to like steaks.

Now I order my steaks medium, and I smurfing love steaks. I've never had a medium-rare steak though, if I remember correctly, so I think next time I go to a steakhouse I'll get one, and compare it to medium.

I always get a sirloin, btw. What kind of steak does everyone else get?
    Filet Mignon, Prime Rib, or sirloin. No t-bones for the shark.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelWings8 View Post
    Hmm...after reading more of these I'm tempted to start ordering rare instead of medium rare at restaurants. I've noticed that sometimes when I order medium rare, it's more medium than I'd like (doesn't happen as often as nicer steakhouses though). I suppose I've just been concerned that ordering rare would be risky and I might get sick...that's never been a problem for you "rare" people?
    Go for it Steph, you'll be glad you did. As much as we hear about food born illness scares in the news, the controls and sanitary requirements needed for meats to meat the FDA requirements are better than they've ever been, and most restaurants are pretty responsible.

Example, I have a friend/ex-girlfriend who is on immunosuppressants from a transplant and really has to watch what bacteria she comes in contact with. She doesn't eat at buffets for example. She's also a fiery little carnivore, and orders her steaks rare with out an issue. If her weaker immune system can take it, you should be fine.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I order Medium Well because I can't stand blood or anything that remotely resembles it! :P

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leader of mortals View Post
    I always get a sirloin, btw. What kind of steak does everyone else get?
    I usually get filet mignon, but ribeye is a close second.

Hey cool, I get to be different again.
    Not a fan of juicy steak, unless it's been slow cooked in gravy. Mmmm, gravy.

Back of the net Recognized Member Heath's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

I'm part of the medium rare crowd!
    Not my words Carol, the words of Top Gear magazine.

Blog Entries

Ribeye is the best steak.
    Medium rare is the best way it's cooked.
    If a ribeye is cooked too rare, it's still fantastic.
    Nobody has to be afraid of e-coli or salmonella with a stek, because, as has been said, it's a different type of cut of meat than the ground hamburger. Which is why you can order a rare sirloin burger at nicer restaurants, but not at cheaper bar restaurants where the meat has too be med-well to well done.

If you want natural beef raised organically, grass fed and treated as well as any cow could be (except for the beer massages from bikini clad Japanese girls that those lucky Kobe steers get in Japan), then I can provide it, since, on top of all my other jobs that I hold, my profile isn't a complete lie.

Blog Entries

The reason one should never eat an under-cooked burger is because it is made of /ground/ beef. Ground meat is the result of mashing a piece or pieces of meat into a homogeneous lump and that means the former surface and it's bacteria are spread throughout the meat. Searing such meat cannot protect you from food-borne illness. It needs to be cooked to the core.

Seasoning is historically used to make something crap taste less like crap. The most a steak ever needs is salt and pepper, but if you like marinades or sauces, more power to you; it is your steak. But anyone who goes into the realm of well is doing themselves a disservice; next time you are in a nice restaurant, order medium rare and see how it goes.

I don't eat steaks anymore, but when I did I used to like them either medium rare or rare. Mostly rare.