Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Item refinement flowchart or map?

Default Item refinement flowchart or map?

Is there any graphical flowchart image (like a map) that shows how much of what items and what methods (abilities) are needed to refine whatever item and into what items (even from card mod)?

I want to attempt to build something like this, if no one has already, and I just wanted to gauge from any of you... How insane would I have to be to do this? lol

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

It wouldn't be impossible! Just make sure you plan it out in advance - what is best to use to make the image, how to structure it, and so on!

This is certainly easily feasible with a certain amount of patience. An idea to help you, is you would probably benefit from using a map as a legend for the flowchart as well if you fancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Do I like fire? DO TURTLES LIKE BEING STAMPED ON?!

I'm like, Mr. Arsonist 2000. And 2003, if you saw my beautiful work on assorted AOL CDs. I've kinda not been up to my old form in 2004, but here's hoping.

Thanks guys. If you find anything out there like this, tell me not to waste my time and drop a link in this thread.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I think this would be neat, although I wonder if a flow chart is the best way to go about it. It would be absolutely huge. Perhaps there would be a way to code it together so that you select an item name from a drop down menu and then it displays the ways that you can create that item (and the ways to create the items needed to create that item, if possible).

How are you going to plan it? Using a spreadsheet, or Visio, or on paper, or something else?
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

I'm using adobe Illustrator, but I can see your point already... memory this is going to take is huge. Yesterday, I was only halfway done with the first level of the card modding tree and my system was chugging along to save, move objects, and rewrite text. But I noticed that Firefox was up with my ungodly number of tabs... so I closed and saved that, but still the memory usage will become a pretty big problem for me as I start adding more items to the tree.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

This may or may not help, but I made a diagram of all the pathways to maximize stats permenantly. I apologise for the handwriting.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by BG-57; 07-23-2010 at 12:52 PM.

An update:

I have pieced together many objects to form the three primary magic trees (Fire, Ice, and Thunder) from materials derived from the cards in the game.

I initially created this refinement tree full of color and different shapes, but I have found, through testing conversion into a JPEG format, that the colors tend to become mixed together and make some of the text, too, to become illegible and pixelated.

I have done further testing; it is my belief that larger objects will make text less pixelated and reverting to black and white for most of the objects will help retain further legibility when converting the image.

It would be greatly appreciated to receive pointers on what image types will retain the best resolution and possibly color quality for the image that will be exported as a product of this project.

Thanks much guys.

PS: I cannot figure out how to upload an image.

Quote Originally Posted by dpcollier128 View Post
    It would be greatly appreciated to receive pointers on what image types will retain the best resolution and possibly color quality for the image that will be exported as a product of this project.
    PNG
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post
    Do I like fire? DO TURTLES LIKE BEING STAMPED ON?!

I'm like, Mr. Arsonist 2000. And 2003, if you saw my beautiful work on assorted AOL CDs. I've kinda not been up to my old form in 2004, but here's hoping.

Contributions

Quote Originally Posted by dpcollier128 View Post
    PS: I cannot figure out how to upload an image.
    When making a post, scroll to the bottom of the screen. There should be a Manage Attachments button. Hit it, and you get a new box that lets you browse through computer files and post them. Be careful that it fits the size limitations. Once you select it, hit upload then close out that box. You're back to the make a post screen, where you can enter text and post.

If you're editing an older post, that option won't be visible. You have to hit the Go Advanced button and it should become available.

Update:

I have found the way to post images on this site... but there's a problem. The other site I plan to host this image on has an image size restriction too low for the entirety of the work to be posted in one large image. So, I am going to experiment with methods to split the trees into more bite-size portions for posting, As opposed to reducing the size of all the objects, which would reduce the resolution for the text and other elements.

I have also chosen PNG format for the images. I have tested several formats and I have found that PNG will provide the sharpest resolution of what I have tested and of what the site I wish to post it on accepts.

I have made more progress into the refinement trees that involve the magic refinement methods (up to Suport Magic right now), but I have much more to go, haven't even touched the many refinement methods for medical items. O.o

Contributions

We have an artists gallery section with much more generous size restrictions. I've posted helpful diagrams like yours there, especially when posting images was disabled for a while.

Update:

Due to the strain on my system, I have resorted to constructing the general flow of the refinement trees in a more simplified format to cut down memory consumption. For one, I am no longer using an Item type line and am leaving out all pre-arranged cards, resorting to a "build-as-I-go" method for both in-coming and out-going items. I am also arranging the various items in the list on the fly, arranging them so there is as little visual intersection of refinement method arrows as possible.
    Last edited by dpcollier128; 08-04-2010 at 06:27 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BG-57 View Post
    This may or may not help, but I made a diagram of all the pathways to maximize stats permenantly. I apologise for the handwriting.
    You can buy many items from the Esther shop and make the stat up items. The only exception is the Vit Up, which your best bet is to fight and devour Adamantiose on long horn island. They drop adamantine and raise Vit up each one you devour. Anyways the items @ Esther are short cuts to most of your graph.

To get money buy 100 tents, turn them into 10 mega potions, sell, rinse, repeat.

I was thinking the graph should like

.........Refine techniques 1 ... Refine Techniques 2...
    Potion 10= 1 hi potion ........ 50 = 1 mega potion
    Hi potion 10= 1 mega potion ........ 100 = tent

That's just an example but put all the items that can be refined on the left and then put all the techniques up top. After that just fill in what makes what.
    Last edited by Saber; 08-04-2010 at 12:04 AM.
    Marcus
    "No cloud, no squall shall hinder us!" - FF9

Games completed - 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, 10-2, 12, 13, 13-2, 13-3 Tactics, Tactics Advanced, Crisis Core, Dirge of Cerberus, KH, KH2, And played 11.

Contributions

Note that I factored in the total cost of buying items and refining them. It's pretty expensive. What's the profit margin on refining tents?