Thread: Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort

O Captain! My Captain! Spawn of Sephiroth's Avatar

Default Ralph Fiennes as Voldemort

Ok, so I know that there is a Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2 discussion, but I would like to bring up something else to discuss. I am not at all dissing Alan Rickman, and I would upfront say he did an amazing job portraying Snape, but out of everything I've read and seen about the last Potter movie, from people going on about the Trio's acting and to Rickman's acting, I feel that Ralph Fiennes has been overlooked. I too with most of America at the movies at midnight, and since seen the movie 3 more times, but in my opinion, I feel that Fiennes did a remarkable job portraying Voldy in it. From the moments of anger and the pure evil in his eyes, I think his portrayal was the best of the final flick. Discuss!!

Loki: I have an army.
    Stark: We have a HULK!

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

He was ok. What turned me off with Voldy was how bizarre he looked. It's hard to take a villain seriously when he has two slits for a nose.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Years ago, when I first heard the news that Ralph Fiennes had been cast as Voldemort, I thought that he was going to blow it out of the water. But he never really impressed me all that much as Voldemort. He was always just kinda ok. I'm not sure if it was him, or the writing/directing.

But Alan Rickman as Snape was on just a whole other level. He did benefit from having more to work with in the character of Snape. Plus, it was just perfect casting. He was made for the role.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, there are very few literary characters portrayed on film where you think 'nobody else in the world could have done this better'. Ian McKellan as Gandalf is one. Rickman as Snape is another.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Fiennes's portrayl as Voldemort is the reason I like the GoF movie so much and I agree, he really has been under-discussed and underappreciated. I personally think he's done a stupendous job in adding glimpse of humanity to a character who sometimes read like a villainous stereotype in the books. I've become so accustomed to his interpriation of the character that I can no longer read the books without seeing his face, hearing his voice, and imagining his mannerisms.

What You Say? Recognized Member BG-57's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

For me the major problem with the character is the way he was written. Fiennes could have made him a lot more complex or tortured (in Red Dragon he managed to make a serial killer one of the most likeable characters). In the books he comes across as cold, unloving, and obsessed with power and the movies are faithful to that. Even his tragic backstory doesn't make me empathize with him more. So his portrayl of Voldemort is excellent, but I just didn't relate to his character.

Rickman's portrayl as Snape was the best thing about this movie. Frankly he became my favorite character to the point where I was more worried about what would happen to him than Harry's fate.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

To be honest, I wasn't blown away by Ralph Fiennes performance (just as I wasn't blown away by the film in general) He has always had an evil look about him in all his films and this one is no different. However, his voice makes him sound like a 90-year-old munchkin dying of chronic bronchitis...

I know that in the books he is supposed to have an evil, high-pitched voice... but the one he uses doesn't cut it for me. Not even remotely scary.

A game of "strip gobstones" would instill more fear in me than Ralph Fiennes' Voldy...

All hail Alan Rickman though...

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I think he did really well in all of them. The character he was playing was supposed to closely resemble a snake, he had the fluid movements, the hissing whisper to his voice, and I don't think there was ever a moment when he didn't have a wild look in his eyes. That's exactly how I pictured Voldemort.

However, knowing what I did from reading the books, it makes sense to me that he would get overlooked towards the end. (SPOILER)Voldemort is the main villain, but anyone who read the books would know that at the end he really wasn't all that powerful. I think he was overshadowed by Snape's revelation, which was the only reason I even went to see that movie.