Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MANGA

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

i have recently started to favor reading online, the reason is that my 500 Gb hard drive was getting pretty full with alot of manga, music, and movies friends give me. I still download some but i use mangatraders.com

Blog Entries

I read Naruto and One Piece about once a month mainly so i have a 3 or 4 chapter backlog each time, and Bleach about once a year but mainly because it isn't very interesting to me anymore.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I recently read a couple of volumes in a series called Nightmare Inspector. I definately recommend it. I'm not really good at describing things, so here's a quote I compiled from a few reviewers to tell you what the manga is about, with a little paraphrasing from myself:

"The setting is the Silver Star Teahouse in pre-WWII Japan, in the 1920’s. The proprietors of the teahouse are a young woman named Mizuki, and a Baku (dream eater) named Hiruko.

Despite taking place in a teahouse, most people don't come for the beverages. They come to see Hiruko, to ask him if he can help them get rid of their nightmares. He usually does, and the only payment he asks is to eat the nightmare afterwards, so it’s a pretty sweet deal. How does he help get rid of the nightmares? He puts the customer to sleep and then goes in to the nightmare with them and helps them face or find the cause of their neuroses.

Each chapter is a story revolving around a new customer, and with a few exceptions the stories are only a chapter long. The stories are mostly self-contained, but not entirely; there are threads that run through the manga that tie things together. There's usually a tragic twist at the end of every story, where a client's demise is at the hand of their own character flaws. Don't worry, that isn't a spoiler, but in fact a reccuring theme. Even knowing that things won't end well for the client doesn't prepare you for exactly what happens."
    Here's an example of one of the covers:

(SPOILER)
    Last edited by Lone Wolf Leonhart; 09-12-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Fynnek Zoryasch (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

I download. And I love CLAMP. Does anybody think this is weird? What's wrong with a guy liking this? My friend keep poking fun at me I just LOVE xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (though the anime of the latter SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED big time!), and I still wanna read Tokyo Babylon, X and Chobits. Besides tha, I like Pokemon Special, the BoF IV manga has some really nice artwork. Again, I prefer seinen and jousei works to pure shounen, mostly due to the fact that shounen series are so looooooooong... Too long for me to care.

Blog Entries

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (ignore the fact that it's over 60 volumes long; it's a must-read)
    Kenji (awesome fighting manga)
    Koko Tekken-den TOUGH (ditto)
    Bastard! is freakin' hilarious
    The Slayers has some of the most endearing main characters ever
    Hokuto no Ken/Fist of the North Star You are already dead if you don't read this
    DNA2
    GTO
    Bad Company and Shonan Jun'aigumi (both GTO prequels, really funny and action packed)
    Ranma 1/2
    Basilisk
    Crying Freeman (there are some rather adult scenes in it though. Just a warning.)
    Saint Seiya (you may remember the anime as Knights of the Zodiac; too bad it was so butchered, until the DVD releases anyway)
    Welcome to the NHK
    Hayate the Combat Butler
    I second Tiji-kun

You may like Shaman King if you liked Naruto and Yu Yu Hakusho (Shaman King IMO is a little like a light version of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure but with more religious overtones. Not religious as in Christians but religious as in Buddhism)

I almost suggested Hunter x Hunter until I re-read your list.
    Eyeshield 21. I HATE sports but this manga actually made me somewhat interested in football for a couple weeks.
    Flame of Recca is pretty cool and a little like YYH.
    Bakuman (a manga about kids who make manga; better than it sounds)
    Captain Tsubasa, in spite of being a sports manga, is very well done.
    Slam Dunk (ditto)
    Pokemon Adventures/Pokemon Special
    Dr. Slump
    Buraiden Gai
    Cromartie High School (also read Azumanga Daioh if you like this one)
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    I download. And I love CLAMP. Does anybody think this is weird? What's wrong with a guy liking this? My friend keep poking fun at me I just LOVE xxxHOLiC and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle (though the anime of the latter SUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED big time!), and I still wanna read Tokyo Babylon, X and Chobits. Besides tha, I like Pokemon Special, the BoF IV manga has some really nice artwork. Again, I prefer seinen and jousei works to pure shounen, mostly due to the fact that shounen series are so looooooooong... Too long for me to care.
    Nothing wrong with liking shoujo or josei!
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by charliepanayi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The White Wizard of Fynn View Post
    Nothing wrong with liking shoujo or josei!
    I know and I do feel comfortable with that. In fact, I might have never discovered this group if it weren't for my girlfriend. I used to read only shounen manga beforehand (we had only those), but then I wanted to get my girlfriend into anime and manga and she prefers stuff which has more depth, so I started searching for something from the shoujo, seinen and jousei demographics... And now I can never go back Dunno if it counts as a guilty pleasure, since I know a lot of men who will say this is "gay" (not that there's anything wrong with that ). I mean, I don't care! I feel secure enough to genuinely enjoy the shows and/or comics!

It's just that whenever I mention CLAMP to my anime/manga nerd friend, he will go like "OH MY GOD, STOP READING THAT! THAT'S GAY AND DUMB! NOOOOOO!', even though he has read Chobits and liked it. I kinda don't get that logic: he read Chobits, liked it, and yet considers CLAMP gay and stupid and all their mangas suck... Weird, innit?

Total Sweetheart
    Articles
    Blog Entries

A couple of the reviewers who read Nightmare Inspector also recommended xxxHOLiC, apparently they're similar in some ways. Would you say it's worth investing my time in, Fynn?

I'm surprised no one included Mirai Nikki or Bloody Monday, considering all of the other nice suggestions.

I've recently gotten updated on Hapi Mari, but a lot of the stuff I read is either updated on a monthly basis or going through a dry period of fun fun fun.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf Leonhart View Post
    A couple of the reviewers who read Nightmare Inspector also recommended xxxHOLiC, apparently they're similar in some ways. Would you say it's worth investing my time in, Fynn?
    Hmm... Let me put it this way. I have not read Nightmare Inspector, but since someone says it's similar and you liked that, then go for it. I started with the anime and have yet to finish the manga, but I can definitely recommend it. I do have one warning, however. This manga is very closely tied to Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle - and I mean really close. They basically share the main storyline with some loose threads from one resolved in the other, so it's basically a necessity to read them both to understand it all. Hell, you should be reading them at the same time to know what is being referenced when

But don't be discouraged. xxxHolic is one of the best manga/anime I have ever seen/read. Its premise is very interesting, the characters seem cliche at first but the twists on them are incredible, IMO. The storyline is actually quite loose and episodic in nature, which is actually nice and fresh, but the main line that resonates with Tsubasa is really incredible. I say give it a shot, especially if you're into quasi-philosophical, supernatural mystery stuff.