Thread: Back to the Paradox

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin Back to the Paradox

So let me see if i got this right (correct me if I'm wrong). I shouldn't need to spoiler tag since the movie's a thousand years old, but spoilers:

Marty McFly grew up in a dysfunctional family with loser parents and loser kids. He gets invited to a post midnight extravaganza by his eccentric scientician friend who gets killed while Marty accidentally travels to 1955, changes history, and goes back to a 1985 where he has successful parents and siblings. He goes back to see a scene which seems like the opening scene but it's really different. At this point I'm going to try to explain the plot of the movie, since Marty modified it:

Marty McFly grew up with successful parents and siblings and befriended an eccentric scientist who invited him to a post midnight extravaganza. The entire time the eccentric scientist knew who Marty was but kept it a secret, including the bullet proof vest he was wearing that morning. Doc Brown gets 'gunned down' and Marty McFly from the successful family goes back to 1955, presumably mirroring the exact same space/time position of Marty McFly from the world that was destroyed by the time this paragraph started.

Wait - that world was destroy. So the entire movie could not have ever happened.

then who was phone?

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think Back to the Future ever establishes if there are multiple timelines or if there is one continuous timeline that can be edited. My real vote is that when Marty 1 goes back and makes his parents successful and saves Doc Brown and Marty 2 leaves, Marty 2 ceases to exist because Marty 1 already exists.

EDIT: Also. Great Scott! This is heavy.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by fire_of_avalon View Post
    I don't think Back to the Future ever establishes if there are multiple timelines or if there is one continuous timeline that can be edited. My real vote is that when Marty 1 goes back and makes his parents successful and saves Doc Brown and Marty 2 leaves, Marty 2 ceases to exist because Marty 1 already exists.

EDIT: Also. Great Scott! This is heavy.
    in BTTF2 doc brown tries to explain that modifying a different time will create a new timeline, thus making the previous timeline...something or other.

I'm wondering if the previous timeline still exists, despite not being able to get back there (except when cancelling the effects of the modification)

here's a facimile of what Doc Brown drew
    we start BTTF at the top. the timeline was skewed and so travelling back to the past (to) before the modification point does not allow transit to the original timeline

the original timeline does not occur until the modification(s) is/are undone.

Since the original timeline no longer exists (or rather, never existed), how did it exist to begin with? And when you destroy the future timeline where you had to travel to in order to undo the change to go back to the original timeline, where does the changed timeline go?
    Last edited by Peegee; 09-09-2011 at 05:51 PM.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Probably to my grandma's basement because she kept a lot of useless things around.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Banished Ace Recognized Member Agent Proto's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Watch Primer and then try explaining the events in that movie.

Apparently, I have been declared banished.

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Proto View Post
    Watch Primer and then try explaining the events in that movie.

That only applies to backward time travel (though it appears consistently based solely on those events). in BTTF 2 they go to the future and despite Marty not (yet) traveling back to the past to live out his life, his life was lived for him as if he came back to the present - yet the change that he subsequently made (not drag racing) hadn't happened in this timeline but happened in the subsequent narrative.

So what happened to the timeline that taught him to not drag race?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I keep seeing this thread and getting excited because I think it's about Paradox Interactive's vidya gaems

Blog Entries

Grin

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I keep seeing this thread and getting excited because I think it's about Paradox Interactive's vidya gaems
    >in /lo/
    >thinks this is /v/

ISHYGSDDT

I just hope the next leap will be the leap home.

Blog Entries

It's possible Marty 2 goes back in time and messes it up so his parents grow up to be losers and gets back to a timeline 3 which is exactly the same as timeline 1 and marty 3 has just made and gone to timeline 4 which is identical to timeline 2 and so on and so forth.
    Last edited by blackmage_nuke; 09-12-2011 at 12:24 AM.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!