Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Storytelling in Fighting Games

Default Storytelling in Fighting Games

Another topic idea thrust into my head by BlazBlue.

Fighting games have a very, very weird relationship with stories. They've hit an incredible range from no stories at all, to convoluted messes that need companion guides to fully comprehend.

This thread is more than just the quality of the story in a game, however, it's also about how that story is told. For example, Dissidia has a story that's only so-so (the original Dissida, anyway, Duodecim was a lot better), but the storytelling in the game is excellent. It has a very nice story-to-gameplay ratio, and makes good use of animation to help enhance its story. While BlazBlue had a much more solid story, but does not do very well at the actual storytelling. Story Mode for Continuum Trigger has about five to ten minutes of dialogue between every fight, and feels as though half the team just wanted to make an anime.

So, what fighting games do you feel handle storytelling the best, and what sorts of storytelling mechanics and tricks would you like to see spread across the fighting genre?
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Blog Entries

I don't feel like answering the second question but I feel that the Rival Schools series has the best fighting game story of all time. It's not too confusing, it's fairly interesting, and it comes to a head fairly nicely in Project Justice. Sure the story is represented with still pictures of the characters (in Rival Schools the characters all had voices in story mode, however Project Justice cut this out because Hyo's voice actor died, so out of respect they didn't voice the story mode) but it was still pretty expressive for its time.

I would say Fatal Fury as well but the series is really horribly translated as far as the story part goes. If you know Japanese though it's pretty decent.
    Xenogears is the tragic story of how your whole life can take a crappy turn, just because you happened to see a lady in a wedding dress before her wedding.

This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broken down
    This boy is crackin' up, this boy has broke down

Articles
    Blog Entries

With all of its problems, Blazblue is about as good as it gets storywise.

Quote Originally Posted by Laddy View Post
    With all of its problems, Blazblue is about as good as it gets storywise.
    BlazBlue's best storytelling mechanic is actually a fairly simplistic, but awesome one: The dialogue change that occurs with certain character matchups. So easy to understand and program, but it really does a lot to enhance the character relationships.

The rest of the story, while excellent, is just not very well told, in my opinion.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Clearly, fighting games are more about battle mechanics than story. But I did think Dissidia's story was pretty good for a fighting game and I like how they tried to explain why all the characters were together and showed them interact. I also always appreciated Mortal Kombat's attempt at having a story. I have, however, been very disappointed in the MvC series in terms of story. For a game featuring comic book characters you would expect something better.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Lolol it's like playing Gran Turismo - you don't care about the story, but in fighting games they still feel the need because it's people instead of cars.

I think asking fighting games to have better stories isn't fair as they don't have much to build on. The story is usually that there is a tournament and everyone's invited. To tell a great story from there would mean you would have to really go into each characters back story which would take ages as most fighters these days have at least 20 characters if not more.

Saying that, there is fun to be had with the story, as long as the developers don't take it so seriously. Tekken 3 is a good example. The ridiculous ending movies were so entertaining that they really motivated me to beat every character on arcade mode.

At it's core I actually think tekken's story is pretty good, the problem is it's presented in such a messy fashion.

And having a lot of playable characters shouldn't impede on the story. Simply make it so the main story doesn't really put a lot of focus on all of them.

With games like Blazblu showing us a fighting game can have a great story, there really isn't much of an excuse anymore to say fighting games can't be expected to have good stories.

I'm not saying a bad story is enough reason to not buy a fighter, simply that it shouldn't be used as an excuse anymore.

Tekken and BlazBlue have good plots when it comes to fighting games.

I like crossover stories. They're non-canon, so they're as crazy as can be.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Dreddz View Post
    I think asking fighting games to have better stories isn't fair as they don't have much to build on. The story is usually that there is a tournament and everyone's invited. To tell a great story from there would mean you would have to really go into each characters back story which would take ages as most fighters these days have at least 20 characters if not more.
    You know that could just focus on a single character or just a few. Out of the ones I've played I think Soul Calibur and MK do it the best, but their stories still aren't memorable for me. I found reading the plot info on sites like wikipedia for Tekken and most of these fighting games to be more entertaining than how they're presented in the actual games.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    I also always appreciated Mortal Kombat's attempt at having a story.
    I agree, but I'm not sure why MK seems to be so effective.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Probably because it emulates a RPG like structure.

MK started out really well.

Then they traded story for playability (UMK3), and got ridiculous. (MK4 - MK8)

Blog Entries

There must be a lot of MK games I haven't played. I just kinda remember uppercutting people to death and thin finding out that Johhny Cage was a movie producer. That kinda thing.
    There's an RPG Mortal Kombat? I thought the awful movie would have prevented that sort of thing.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Mortal Kombat Deception's story mode is sort of RPG based. I haven't played 9, but I saw something that was apart of Deception in it so it's story mode might be similar to it.