Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION Final Fantasy X HD CONFIRMED for PS3 and PS Vita

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage View Post
    How about realizing that no one is remaking anything, and that this is a port?
    It's slightly more than a port because they are upping the resolution. I think that makes it something more.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I disagree. Changing the resolution is probably as hard for their programmers as it is for you to cook a frozen pizza.

As long as nothing in the game is "made anew", I don't consider it a re-make.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

The Misanthropist charliepanayi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by champagne supernova View Post
    How about realizing that no one is remaking anything, and that this is a port?
    It's slightly more than a port because they are upping the resolution. I think that makes it something more.
    Not really, it's like a film that was only previously out on DVD coming out on Blu-Ray and people claiming it's a remake.
    "Excuse me Miss, do you like pineapple?"

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

no its more like black and white movie to blue ray with technicolor
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Master of the Fork Cid's Knight Freya's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Freya Meow (Sargatanas)

I hope they tweak blitzball a little. I love the game but it could use for some improvements. heh

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    I hope they tweak blitzball a little. I love the game but it could use for some improvements. heh
    agreed
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Articles
    Blog Entries

Wow, Spoony's gonna hate this.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Hypoallergenic Cactuar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Freya View Post
    agreed
    As long as I can make everyone swim in circles on a whim.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I think this is awesome, as soon as I got my PSP I downloaded FFVII, VIII, and Tactics. I had a blast and beat VII playing exclusively portable, and have a good play time on VIII and Tactics. I'm looking forward to having the same experience on the Vita and can't wait to see how this'll look on the OLED screen.

A HD remake of FFX is probably much easier to do than one of FF7, simply because that game is already entirely in 3D. FF7 would need a lot more work done to it before those 2D backgrounds could be converted to 3D. That's why.
    I don't think they'd have to do all that for FFVII to be remastered... The team behind the first God of War collection got the game done in an insanely small amount of time, the original developers were blown away that they had the first level running almost immediately.

I think it all comes down to (or could come down to) emulation. There's emulators that make these games look better than licensed studios ever could, and that's on computer monitors, which have vastly more pixels than High Definition televisions. I think Sony just makes really bad official emulators.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Yeah and like FFX, GoW 1 and 2 are already entirely in 3D, again, unlike FF7.

And if you take yer emulator idea as an example, the games that turn out the best on emulators, are those that are almost entirely in 3D. Games that use lots of sprites and 2D backdrops tend to end up looking pretty bad.

Regardless, emulators are really just a fall-back for games that haven't been properly ported to a better platform. A game that runs natively on any given platform will almost always perform better. Also, Sony has demonstrated pretty clearly that they either do not have the necessary skills to do a PS2 emulator on PS3, or that they do not wish to spend money on this.
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-20-2011 at 09:10 PM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

As I've already said, there's emulators that can get the game to run better than it ever did on its native platform. I do this with SNES RPGs all the time and I've seen a friend play FFTactics, a game with a ton of sprites, and it looked incredible on his monitor, which, again, has far more pixels and higher resolutions than current HDTVs.

People play FFVII-IX in high definition resolutions every day, just not in an official retail package.

And Sony already made a PS2 emulator, 80GB models used them, whereas the original 60GB did it directly through hardware. I think they took it out because PS2 sales weren't quite done yet, and they wanted to have projects like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    People think they play FFVII-IX in high definition resolutions every day, just not in an official retail package.
    FTFY.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    As I've already said, there's emulators that can get the game to run better than it ever did on its native platform. I do this with SNES RPGs all the time and I've seen a friend play FFTactics, a game with a ton of sprites, and it looked incredible on his monitor, which, again, has far more pixels and higher resolutions than current HDTVs.

People play FFVII-IX in high definition resolutions every day, just not in an official retail package.

And Sony already made a PS2 emulator, 80GB models used them, whereas the original 60GB did it directly through hardware. I think they took it out because PS2 sales weren't quite done yet, and they wanted to have projects like these.
    So his emulator recreated high resolution, not interpolated sprites from scratch, based on low res sprites? He should show this technology to a game developer, he could make millions of dollars, cause this would be nothing short of ground-smurfing-breaking tech.

Secondly, no, the early PS3s did not rely on software emulation to play PS2 games. They included actual PS2 hardware to perform this function, exactly because they had not been able to develop software that could successfully and efficiently emulate PS2 games. And are either still not able to, or simply do not want to because of some retarded corporate decision. This hardware was removed from later PS3s in order to cut costs, or so Sony claims, and therefore we no longer get that feature.
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-22-2011 at 01:46 AM.

Articles
    Blog Entries

So his emulator recreated high resolution, not interpolated sprites from scratch, based on low res sprites? He should show this technology to a game developer, he could make millions of dollars, cause this would be nothing short of ground-smurfing-breaking tech.
    No, it didn't. I'm not sure how familiar you are with emulators, but many of the longest-running ones, even for 16-bit games with 2d artwork, can reformat the visuals to make it look like they were naturally prepared for widescreen, make the colors more vibrant than ever, and overall make all of the art look absolutely awesome at higher resolutions than modern HDTVs can produce. I played Shining Force a year or two before Sega released its Ultimate Genesis Collection and, while they did an awesome job, it wasn't all that much more impressive than the version I was already playing. Speaking of which, if Sega could outsource this very thing for 40+ 16-bit classics in a quick little project, how hard do you really think it would be for Square to do the same for just a few games?

Secondly, no, the early PS3s did not rely on software emulation to play PS2 games. They included actual PS2 hardware to perform this function, exactly because they had not been able to develop software that could successfully and efficiently emulate PS2 games. And are either still not able to, or simply do not want to because of some retarded corporate decision. This hardware was removed from later PS3s in order to cut costs, or so Sony claims, and therefore we no longer get that feature.
    Me: "And Sony already made a PS2 emulator, 80GB models used them, whereas the original 60GB did it directly through hardware."

C'mon, man, I know your reading comprehension's better than that. Also, are you unaware of the generally common knowledge that they took hardware emulation out of later PS3 models and used software emulation in the 80GB models instead? That's pretty much a known fact. It was later taken out of the later 80GB iterations which also had 2 USB ports instead of 4. It's not hard to google.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Even if i misread that sentence, I'm still right. The later PS3 models still had PS2 parts in them. The first PS3 models that had the best PS2 support had both the CPU and GPU chips. The later ones had only the PS2 GPU, and the compatibility suffered noticably from having only that. It was then dropped completely, at the same time as they stopped putting PS2 GPUs inside their PS3s. Coincidence? I think not.

And the only reformating of 2D any emulator can do is to interpolate graphics, and the results, while less blocky, are not in any way more detailed. They are just smeared out in a way that sort of looks nicer.

It would be nice if you could find good examples of emulators making 2D graphics look better, that didn't just involve some sort of interpolation or bilinear filtering. I'm also curious as to how they make the visuals look like they were prepared for widescreen.

As for the more vibrant colors point, that doesn't sound like it's anything that can't be done with just plain old changing of TV settings, except that it's just for a single program instead of the entire monitor. But again, please show me!

I have played lots of old 2D games on lots of emulators, but quite frankly it just sounds like I have a sharper eye for graphical quality than you do.
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-24-2011 at 09:24 PM.