Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: ATTENTION Final Fantasy X HD CONFIRMED for PS3 and PS Vita

I'd love a version of FFX where the cast didn't alternate ethnicity between in-game sprites and cut scenes, but I don't think this is going to be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolivar View Post
    No, it didn't. I'm not sure how familiar you are with emulators, but many of the longest-running ones, even for 16-bit games with 2d artwork, can reformat the visuals to make it look like they were naturally prepared for widescreen, make the colors more vibrant than ever, and overall make all of the art look absolutely awesome at higher resolutions than modern HDTVs can produce.
    yer still not playing HD versions of the game. Just upscaling an incredibly small resolution and putting a fancy filter on it does not mean it's high resolution. Despite what CSI shows, you can't upscale an image and magically generate fine detail from it.

The only way to really replicate a 16:9 ratio for something that was only ever created for a 4:3 ratio, you would need to either upscale it even more and cut out the top and bottom of the image, or stretch the tit out of it. Again, you can't just magically generate more art for the game if it wasn't originally created when the game was released. Filters don't correct this issue.

Luckily for FFX, if Square adhere to the standard workflow and pipelines with creating art for video games, then they already have all their textures in ridiculously high resolution formats whilst painting them, where they would have scaled it down for the PS2 release. The only issue would be going through and generating normal/specular maps, but I'm sure they have an efficient process for that. And since it's in 3D, it's just a matter of camera tweaks to get widescreen.

I did hear a rumour that they were actually creating it from the ground up, but honestly that is very doubtful since it'd be a hell of a lot of work.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    yer still not playing HD versions of the game. Just upscaling an incredibly small resolution and putting a fancy filter on it does not mean it's high resolution. Despite what CSI shows, you can't upscale an image and magically generate fine detail from it.
    Are you aware that the vast majority of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 games are not natively rendered in high definition, either?

I apologize if I've derailed this into a question of how easy it would be to re-do the artwork. But it should obvious that that's not required to make these games run in widescreen format on a high definition television and have them look great. Again, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is an example of a package that ported over forty titles with relatively little hassle and very nice results. I think the difficulty of SE making this happen, as stated early in this thread is greatly exaggerated.

Also, Mirage, I think it's ridiculous that you want proof of emulators that make games look better than they originally did at higher resolutions (not native HD). If you can't do this yourself, then I truly feel sorry for you, because you're missing out on a really great thing.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Oh, most PS3 games are rendered in a higher res than what PS2 games run at, even if they're not all true 720p.

Also, I guess you're not able to show me of anything that isn't simply an interpolation filter for sprites in emulators then.

Btw, check out this cool 720p picture i found of Terra.
    Last edited by Mirage; 09-28-2011 at 02:19 AM.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Are you aware that the vast majority of PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 games are not natively rendered in high definition, either?
    How does this relate to anything I've ever said in this thread? While you are on the subject, who's to say Square aren't attempting to make FFX 720p natively?

I apologize if I've derailed this into a question of how easy it would be to re-do the artwork. But it should obvious that that's not required to make these games run in widescreen format on a high definition television and have them look great. Again, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is an example of a package that ported over forty titles with relatively little hassle and very nice results. I think the difficulty of SE making this happen, as stated early in this thread is greatly exaggerated.
    It'll take more work than you realise, and 3D is definitely a whole other beast to 2D. As an artist working in the industry, my professional opinion is there's a hell of a lot more work involved with porting and art upscaling than some seem to think. Especially in a larger studio where even just going through the standard processes of the approval chain can take a lot of time.

I guess it's hard to know what's true or just a rumor, but I believe I've read somewhere that they were doing revisions to some aspects of the game too. So it won't all be visual-related.

I think it's ridiculous that you want proof of emulators that make games look better than they originally did at higher resolutions (not native HD). If you can't do this yourself, then I truly feel sorry for you, because you're missing out on a really great thing.
    You might be missing the point. We're not saying older games can't look good via emulator magic, we're saying it's not true widescreen or even close to HD, for in order to do that new art would have to be made. Which could very well be what Square are doing, though we'll never know until it's released due to the stupidly secret nature of the company.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

how about 1080?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

How would I create a petition with a chance of success online to rip out the 'percentage' chest system from XII?

I smurfkin hate getting something cool, then having to restart and not getting it the second time. Feelsbatman.jpg
    [I]All Your Images Belong to The Overchan v2!

Webfiction | Leaving the Light. - Fanfics | Dark Distorted Mirror | Shinji and Warhammer40k | Starcrossed |

My real estate agent, old Jill
    Has excellent properties still;
    There's none of it bland,
    Still top-dollar, and
    Has vacancies I'd love to fill

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

The chest issue that lead to the possibility of screwing yourself over when it came to the zodiac spear was fixed in the job system version of FF12 anyway, so it'll likely stay that way.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Default People complaining

I don't get why people are complaining.

X was one of the highest rated FF's of all time, and in my opinion one of the best (save for the dodgy VA's but hey- it was the first fully voiced one!)

But to be honest, I kind of expected it, with the PS3's losing their backward compatability. Think about it- all FF's (except 12) are now playable on this-gen consoles:
    • FF1- iPod touch, PSP
    • FF2- iPod touch, PSP
    • FF3- iPod touch, DS
    • FF4- PSP, DS
    • FF5- PlayStation Network
    • FF6- PlayStation Network
    • FF7- PlayStation Network
    • FF8- PlayStation Network
    • FF9- PlayStation Network
    • FF10 (HD)- PlayStation 3
    Now, I think Square's next move will be a HD port of Final Fantasy XII, just to continue this pattern. However, I think a wiser move would be to listen to the fan-base and do a HD port of not just Final Fantasy VII, but the entire compilation in one set. Like the FF4 Complete Collection. I also think that X-2 (which I didn't think was that bad in gameplay terms tbh) should come included with the FF10 HD remake.

Articles
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=Rostum;3025109]
    How does this relate to anything I've ever said in this thread? While you are on the subject, who's to say Square aren't attempting to make FFX 720p natively?
    Because obviously these games don't need to be in true HD in order to look good at higher resolutions! As I've pointed out, there's been a lot of HD remakes of 2D games (admittedly some better than others) which were produced as quick cash-ins, the ones that have re-done artwork seem like the exception to the rule. Again, the Sega compilation packed in over 40 games without re-doing artwork... Admittedly it wasn't the best it could have been, but the games still look and play awesome in widescreen, high resolution...

Quote Originally Posted by Mirage
    Btw, check out this cool 720p picture i found of Terra.
    lol FUNNY!

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

why is everyone saying 720? what about 1080?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Quote Originally Posted by Jake200493 View Post
    Who's complaining? In fact, I think most people are excited.

Also... The PSN downloads of FFVII-IX are the closest "HD port" you'll ever get. In order to make them at the quality of say FFXIII, it requires a complete remake.

Because obviously these games don't need to be in true HD in order to look good at higher resolutions! As I've pointed out, there's been a lot of HD remakes of 2D games (admittedly some better than others) which were produced as quick cash-ins, the ones that have re-done artwork seem like the exception to the rule. Again, the Sega compilation packed in over 40 games without re-doing artwork... Admittedly it wasn't the best it could have been, but the games still look and play awesome in widescreen, high resolution...
    I don't think I've ever said they don't look good. I'm saying they're still not true HD, and that porting a PS2 game is a hell of a lot more work than porting older games. Especially since Square said they had plans to refine aspects of the game (like Blitzball), which could also mean re-doing of art assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake200493 View Post
    It's what people on the internet do .

FFX is my favorite FF, but there are camps for pretty much every title, and they are going to be confuse/upset/frustrated that their game isn't getting the same treatment, but that is a pretty natural reaction, really.

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

Yeah, no one here is complaining, but just about everywhere else people are like "why no FFVII remake/FFIX sequel/some other thing that'll take a lot more work, time, and money than this will?!" xD

Quote Originally Posted by Jessweeee♪ View Post
    ...but just about everywhere else people are like "why no FFVII remake/FFIX sequel/some other thing that'll take a lot more work, time, and money than this will?!" xD
    Yeah, totally. Not to mention the fundamental game design behind those games just wouldn't cut it today, and so they'd have to go back and re-imagine /refine it and then the fans will be all types pitchforks and angry. It'd be a major risk for such a huge investment.

Hence why I try and avoid the topic anywhere else, lol.