Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Lightning have a love interest?

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by VeloZer0 View Post
    Good lord no.

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

>>> No, she already have one with Firion ..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

I'm very interested in Lightning falling madly deeply in love with the ass end of a Zantetsuken.

She so doesn't deserve Odin.

And also, she'd be a total bitch as a girlfriend.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Lightning would only be a bitch because she is better than any potential suitor. And you.

The flying homo! Recognized Member Giga Guess's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Contributions to Eizon project

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    It might be nice to see her have one, but it would have to be done carefully as to not ruin her character.
    Bingo. Having her get a love interest can be done, so long as she doesn't turn into...what's the term..."love starved twit?"

Many thanks Christmas!
    Horniest Member, 2007! Gimme a little unf unf!

Lightning and Firion come from two different games. They both have a "rose" motif, but still...

Perhaps Noel can be her love interest, maybe?

And isn't Odin supposed to be Thor's father?
    Is that your final answer?

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Would you like to see Lightning have a love interest in this game? If so, who?
    What purpose would it serve? Do you feel like there is a lack of RPGs with shallow love stories?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Yep always thought Lightning and Hope were close

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Lightning X Lebrau

Giggedy Giggedy Goo!

In all seriousness, I think the idea of such a stoic character as Lightning having a love interest would be a good notion, but only in the event that as she falls in love she becomes a softer and more open person. Also the person in question can't be a serious person, but neither should they be a person with an annoying or goofy personality. I hate to say it, but I think the "typical" laid back person who does what needs to be done and never shows fear would be the ideal person for this. Think along the lines of Yoh Asakura from Shaman King but add some of the loyalty of Ichigo Kurosaki from Bleach. Then give this person a look that isn't rediculous, but is definately striking when compared to the background. Preferably as the story progressed Lightning would slowly change her looks until her outfit while still resembling her original, would "match" the costume of her interest. Also, I honestly would not be surprised if Lighting turned out to be a lesbian or bi or something. I'm not saying that is a nessesity, I'm just stating my opinion.

Sorry for being long winded, have a good day!
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I agree with Del that it would have to be done carefully. Personally I don't think it ought to be something central to her character development. I don't think we'll be seeing enough of her in this game to include something like that anyway, but if she had been a lead character again, I would have wanted it to be something more like Zell and the library student. Just a cute little thing that could happen

Lightning is very tomboyish too, like Faris and Paine, so that's a challenge too. If she was more of a Tifa or Rikku-type tomboy, or perhaps her original planned profile and design, perhaps it would be easier, though...

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

But you've still not explained why she needs one.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

I agree completely with Mirage that it wouldn't really add anything to the game to show Lightning have a love interest. Love is a far too cliche and exaggerated theme in storytelling. The last thing we need is another shallow, automatic, unbelievable romance like Tidus/Yuna that just flies out of nowhere as if to say "none of the writers at Square have ever experienced actual love, and this is how we think it goes... underwater... with bubbles... and crystals... and smiles... and an awkwardly voiced asian girl who sounds like a cat singing atmospherically all around you"

I appreciated that 13 did not have a love story ingrained in it, unless you count Vanille and Fang's tastefully understated relationship. They were the most realistic couple in the entire FF series (I don't care if you don't think they were a couple, personally, but it seemed pretty clear to me in the way they treated one another and reacted to each other). I think the romances of most FF games have been stereotypical and predictable. I really don't think the series needs more unless they want to explore some new themes. For example, I think it would be nice to see a male-male romance in one of these games at some point. That would be interesting and not cliche, and as colorful as FF male characters usually are, it could be pretty spellbinding and dramatic. Not to mention damn near every gay dude I've met loves Final Fantasy, so I think it's about time Squenix threw them a bone for all their contributions to the fandom, but that's a whole different topic.

In short, no love for Lightning. It would soil her awesome character. She's too much of a lone wolf and too driven by her whims and convictions to really settle down anyway. She'd just be running off to fight all the time like that noncommittal d-bag, Snow.

She has a similar personality to Squall, and he had a love interest (Rinoa), so why not Lightning? Is she too tomboyish for it?

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    She has a similar personality to Squall, and he had a love interest (Rinoa), so why not Lightning? Is she too tomboyish for it?
    By that arguement, lightning should be a lesbian.
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen