Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should Lightning have a love interest?

Well, on a side note to that, it seems that changing Fang from male to female caused unintentional lesbian themes...

But anyway, what if she's not a lesbian?
    Is that your final answer?

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    Well, on a side note to that, it seems that changing Fang from male to female caused unintentional lesbian themes...

But anyway, what if she's not a lesbian?
    I think the fact that they changed her from male to female makes it pretty obvious that those two were intended to be a couple. Imagine a dude running up and hugging vanille, and holding her for long periods of time, and saying he's her family. There's not a single person out there that wouldn't think they are a couple. Just because they don't show anything sexual like kissing (which is tactful, really) doesn't mean Fang and Vanille are "just friends" as so many like to put it.

The truth of the matter is, I think it doesn't matter. I think they changed Fang to give the cast a more even balance of male and female, and I don't think they cared that that basically turned the couple into a gay couple. For some, that's a huge advancement for equality just being able to see a relationship like that in a mainstream game title, but for others they want to deny it even exists. It's weird really how quick people would be to jump on the FANG + VANILLE FOREVER <3 <3 <3 bandwagon if they were male and female, but since they are of the same sex, many people say THEY AREN'T LOVERS! COME ON!

Bah, they clearly are, and their relationship is a very genuine and pure one. It's admirable really, and a lot less fake and convoluted than all the forced relationships between FF protagonists in the past (tidus/yuna anyone? where the hell did that come from?)

I may be repeating myself because I remember writing this in another post, it may have been on this topic. Lol. I'll just end with that.

Also to SuperMillionaire's comment, I don't think Squall and Lightning are very alike more than the fact that they both have storm related names. Lol. Squall was very brooding, quiet, defensive, and emo. Lightning is very outspoken, agressive, hot-headed, and a lot more independent than squall seemed to be. I wouldn't compare the two. Squall needed a mommacita. He was too much of a whiny punk to deal with it all on his own. Lightning on the other hand would keep on fighting even if she was the last person alive in the world (which in a sense, she kind of is, in this game).
    Last edited by ShineTheLion; 02-09-2012 at 10:11 AM.

Squall seemed to be independent, though not as "standoff-ish" as Lightning. And Lightning is also very tomboyish too; she is at least as tomboyish as Faris and Paine, if not more tomboyish, and Fang is also very tomboyish too.

They needed to balance out the male to female ratio, but if they instead added another character or two, how would that work? And before they changed Fang to female, Lightning was originally intended to be a flirtatious femme fatale, but in order to make her more serious like Cloud and Squall before her, they made her very tomboyish.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I would have loved a flirty lightning
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

So would I, HC, I would have liked Lightning to be the flirtatious femme fatale that she was originally planned to be, instead of this extremely masculine tomboy that she wound up becoming.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

why does se think the player wants a quiet and moody main pc?
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

I feel like Lightning and Squall are the same personality with different life events and circumstances. They both have very matter-of-fact straight to the point attitudes and are not especially friendly. The difference is, Squall shuts everyone out because of his weird abandonment issues, whereas Lightning just doesn't like distractions. She doesn't go out of her way to socialize, but she gets along with people just fine so long as they don't interfere with her goals or endanger Serah. Friends are not her top priority. I think if life had played out a little differently for Squall he'd be just like Lightning.

Also, I think Lightning is probably the most human main character in the series.

True, both characters are very much lone wolves.

And Tetsuya Nomura certainly has a knack for creating moody central main characters with names based on bad weather (well, at least in the Final Fantasy series, anyway). The only exception so far would be Tidus, who was more upbeat and had a name based on good weather.

Default NO HOPERAI

actually i think that lightning is perfect as a loner..um i dont support hoperai because all she did was save him (the fact hope call her mom made me think lightning as a strong mother figure not lover... ugh) she looks more like a lesbian than straight anyway...i think hoperai is just weird for her character its like matching cloud strife (he acts like lightning) with hope

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

I'm not sure what makes her look lesbian. What does a lesbian look like?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

disc jockey to your heart krissy's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

why hasn't this thread dieeeeed

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Ive never seen the word tomboy used so many times before...
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

programmed by NASIR Recognized Member black orb's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Banner Design
    • Logo Design

Quote Originally Posted by SuperMillionaire View Post
    So would I, HC, I would have liked Lightning to be the flirtatious femme fatale that she was originally planned to be, instead of this extremely masculine tomboy that she wound up becoming.
    >>> Lightning fans would be unpleased with that..
    >> The black orb glitters ominously... but nothing happens..

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

She's not very masculine, not physically anyway. Maybe she acts like a tomboy, but so what?
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by krissy View Post
    why hasn't this thread dieeeeed
    Because like the series, the compilation of XIII won't die either.