Thread: Red state

Articles
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Default Red state

I just saw the film Red state (I don't remember ever seeing a trailer for it or any sort of promotion). It's not my usual sort of film: it had no wizards or aliens. I was actually under the impression it was going to be a horror film. And while it was truly terrifying, it wasn't really a horror film.

For those who aren't aware, it's basically a film about a Fred Phelps analogue whose church behind closed gates lures "sinners" (gays, promiscuous teens) into situations and captures them, and then as part of their church service... murders them. All the while pointing out the biblical passages that show this is God's work. And then things go "bad."

At first I thought they were going to paint the situation monochromatic, but the writer (Kevin smith) actually does a fantastic job painting the story and characters in enough shades of grey for me to feel it wasn't just him attacking Christians.

However, because of its provocative title (which I admit is what DID draw me to the movie) the Republicans/right wingers/conservatives, etc are infuriated and have been protesting the movie. Unsurprisingly, it seems most of them haven't actually seen it.

Anyone else seen it? What did you think?

Banned
    Blog Entries

Fred Phelps? This sounds hilarious. I want to watch this.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Expecting people to actually watch something before they pass judgment on it?

I think you chose the wrong species for something so levelheaded.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I looove Kevin Smith, always have and always will, but I'm willing to admit that the man is a much better writer/speaker than he is a director. Red State was just poorly directed, it had no cohesiveness to the story, couldn't decide who the protagonist was and John Goodman's part was really not done very well. A lot of Smith's experimental camera angles and shots seemed like just that, and didn't visually contribute anything to either the movie or the action.

That said, as should be expected from a Kevin Smith movie, the large majority of the dialogue was fantastic, and Michael Parks is an insanely good actor. The entire sermon that Cooper gives was the real highlight for the film, both in writing and delivery. Also, the dialogue between the teens was fresh and felt genuine. I really wanted to like Red State, as it's one of Smith's last movies for the foreseeable future (along with some hockey movie that's in production), but I think that he's better off sticking to his (amazing) podcasts and maybe doing some screenplays from now on. He'll never be able to recapture the allure of his earlier movies and he just doesn't have the directorial goods to make the jump from indie filmmaker to an amazing feature director.

I saw this movie a year ago and i think this movie was one of the best movie of 2010.