Thread: It's not Vapourware

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

See this is where they shot themselves in the foot.

"Let's make a bunch of games around the same mythology!" they said. "We'll call it Fabula Nova Crystallis and name them all Final Fantasy XIII something!"

Cool, they think. We're onto something here. They plan XIII, Versus XIII and Agito XIII.

Then Agito gets renamed and Versus drops off the radar. Cue XIII-2.

If XIII-3 goes through, you're looking at FF Versus XIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and Type-0. That is ridiculous. Especially if the others get sequels too. Can you imagine a Versus XIII-2? Good lord. GOOD LORD.

What they should do, and always do, is take a leaf out of FFIV's book. You want to make a sequel? Give it a smurfing subtitle. And if they're looking at making compilations/ using the same mythology for a group of games, do the same, or take a leaf out of The Ivalice Alliance - FFTactics (Advance(2)), FFXII, FF Revenant Wings.

I don't even remember my point or if what I'm saying makes any smurfing sense but they are idiots and should just finish making all the other games first.

(seriously I have no idea what my original point was)

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Squenix has registered the domain name for FFXIII-3. Why they continue to expand on a game that got such mediocre reception and no one really clamored for a sequel in the first place is beyond me. If XIII-3 turns out to be more than vapourware, I won't be surprised if it also gets released before Versus XIII.

I still feel SE should just buckle down and rename Versus XIII into FFXV so fans no longer have to think its also in the works.
    I'm actually really excited for XIII-2. I'm probably the only person in the universe who is, but I am. I haven't been so excited for an upcoming game since...probably Kingdom Hearts II. I'm also probably the only person here who loved FFXIII as much as I did.

But the idea that they're already planning a XIII-3 is pretty ridiculous to me even...but at the same time I'd be lying if I said the idea didn't excite me just a little.

I would say it's a precautionary measure on SE's part, you know just in case FFXIII-2 by some miracle does super duper well and makes people want a follow up (LOL!), and that they haven't actually started producing such a game. Although with the things SE's been doing with the FF and KH franchises for the last five years, I certainly wouldn't put already producing a XIII-3 past them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    If XIII-3 goes through, you're looking at FF Versus XIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and Type-0. That is ridiculous. Especially if the others get sequels too. Can you imagine a Versus XIII-2? Good lord. GOOD LORD.
    Amusingly enough, back in 2006 SE registered the trademark for yet another game, Final Fantasy Haeresis XIII but ended up abandoning it in April 2011. So yeah, there was going to be another one. What their fetish with the number XIII is all about is beyond me too.
    Last edited by DMKA; 10-10-2011 at 04:49 AM.
    I like Kung-Fu.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Aside from the fact I don't think a sequel to FF13 is a good idea having them work on FF13-3 before FF13-2 is released doesn't seem so imprudent to me. You don't have 100% of your production teams working on a project at any given times. The people involved in the early aspects of FF13-2 are probably ready to move on to a new project, hence FF13-3.

What they should do, and always do, is take a leaf out of FFIV's book.
    And here I was thinking you meant just move on to FF5.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Actually they've already gotten some domain names registered for possible sequels for Agito/Type 0, I believe part of the reason it got a name change was becuase SE felt the series had a good shot of becoming a great franchise in its own right.

Contributions
    • Former Site Staff

See this is where they shot themselves in the foot. "Let's make a bunch of games around the same mythology!" they said. "We'll call it Fabula Nova Crystallis and name them all Final Fantasy XIII something!" Cool, they think. We're onto something here. They plan XIII, Versus XIII and Agito XIII. Then Agito gets renamed and Versus drops off the radar. Cue XIII-2. If XIII-3 goes through, you're looking at FF Versus XIII, XIII, XIII-2, XIII-3 and Type-0. That is ridiculous. Especially if the others get sequels too. Can you imagine a Versus XIII-2? Good lord. GOOD LORD. What they should do, and always do, is take a leaf out of FFIV's book. You want to make a sequel? Give it a smurfing subtitle. And if they're looking at making compilations/ using the same mythology for a group of games, do the same, or take a leaf out of The Ivalice Alliance - FFTactics (Advance(2)), FFXII, FF Revenant Wings. I don't even remember my point or if what I'm saying makes any smurfing sense but they are idiots and should just finish making all the other games first. (seriously I have no idea what my original point was)
    No seriously, i am not fan of Ivalice Alliance and how they are connected and i don't mind the whole FNC because directors of each of the 3 projects are responsible for creating a full spec FF game. To me Agito is FF15 and Versus is FF16.
    Actually they've already gotten some domain names registered for possible sequels for Agito/Type 0, I believe part of the reason it got a name change was becuase SE felt the series had a good shot of becoming a great franchise in its own right.
    These are dummy domain names by the way but some people gone overboard and speculate about sequels just because Oriens looked weird by FF standard and felt like a world map from the Iron age.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^ I don't know about that, considering it's scenario, I feel its plausible to create additional games just taking place in different nations with new characters. It would be interesting to watch the whole story played over four games with each one showing a different side of the conflict.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

There has to be one victor, though, right? Imagine playing three full games where you lose. trout

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think enough games have bad endings.

Contributions
    • Notable contributions to Final Fantasy forums

Tons of games have bad endings, I think you meant to say unhappy endings.
    >>Am willing to change opinions based on data<<

Articles
    Blog Entries

Funny how after XIII proved to indeed be an unlucky number for Square, they gave up any chance of new projects in order to completely bog themselves down with the number

I read an interview where someone suggested that developers simply can't afford to make console games that aren't a part of well-established IPs anymore. I'm guessing this is one of the main reasons handhelds have been where it's at for classic RPGs lately.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I wouldn't mind an ending where every smurfer dies tbh.

EDIT: whoa, some smurfing deja vu up in this tit.

Are we sure it's not vaporware? I mean, Type-0 is already out in Japan, and XIII-2 is coming out relatively soon, and there has been almost nothing on this game.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Squenix has registered the domain name for FFXIII-3. Why they continue to expand on a game that got such mediocre reception and no one really clamored for a sequel in the first place is beyond me. If XIII-3 turns out to be more than vapourware, I won't be surprised if it also gets released before Versus XIII.
    How bad can it be if you have to make an entire sequel just to justify it's forbearer? Oh Squeenix!

As for the Luminous Engine, it sounds just a little bit hyped to me. Sure we have the EPIC (not) tech-demo, but there's no indication how it'll transfer over to Versus (unless they changed the story line in which the entire game takes place in a subway tunnel, which, given the deadlines, wouldn't surprise me).