Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark Souls

Contributions
    • Contributions to EoFF Census project

Amazing. I can't wait for this game. I loved Demon's Souls and after watching a few clips for Dark, Batman and Skyrim have basically fallen off my radar completely. I was going to make my own all-purpose thread for this game but you beat me to it.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

trout, this is coming out October 4th? I'll have to add it to the Christmas list I guess.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Maybe once I get and finish the other one first. Still, it has my interest!

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

This year I've really had to give up all hope of staying up to date with current-gen releases, even of games that would normally be "must-haves" for me. Dark Souls is unfortunately one of those games. There's just too many games coming out I can't possibly balance them with playing older titles I haven't played/beaten yet. I'm relegating myself to Battlefield 3 & Modern Warfare 3 since I know I'll be playing them all throughout the next year anyway, while going through earlier RPGs and such. Hopefully I'll get Dark Souls when it's at an awesomely low price.

That story about how they're punishing street-date breakers is hilarious, though.

she'll steal your heart Hollycat's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries

I want something like ff2 where if you journey around ten steps from the beginning of the game you may be attacked by a monster 50 times stronger than you could possibly be
    This post brought to you by the power of boobs. Dear lord them boobs. Amen

Contributions

^ Apparently the online component of the game makes something like that possible. I don't have all the details off the top of my head, but there's a summoning system that can be used by other players to 'curse' your world (making enemies harder, etc). There's also a new equipment-dropping mechanic that causes high-level monsters to spawn where equipment has been discarded (I'm not sure if it needs to be discarded in the player's own world or another player's world). When killed, these monsters may leave behind even better equipment.

Basically, DS sounds like the most interesting game of the year. I'm so glad I got re-interested in it, especially after Deus Ex let me down slightly.

Is this game going to be playable without the online component? Because if not, I probably won't be getting it.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Yes, you can play offline.

The game is terribly difficult though. If you play online, you can get figurative and literal help from players online.

On the other hand, high level players will invade your game and PK you for no reason whatsoever.

Maybe offline is a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokichi View Post
    Yes, you can play offline.

The game is terribly difficult though. If you play online, you can get figurative and literal help from players online.

On the other hand, high level players will invade your game and PK you for no reason whatsoever.

Maybe offline is a good thing.
    Oh, thank goodness. Because I don't care how good or challenging the game is, having another player jump in against my will is one of the worst things a game could do to me (short of erasing my save file). If it's lucky, it would get returned.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Yeah giving people the ability to be dicks and just thrash you for trouts and giggles is way not cool

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I liked being a boss in Demon's Souls too. When you play offline, the CPU generated boss was so weak. ;~;

Score: 0 out of 2 Dignified Pauper's Avatar

I don't know how in the world I keep dying and love this game. Just as good as DeSo.

Yesssss. Today's the day. Back to endless grinding for honor and glory. For justice.

Contributions

Really liking it so far.

The best part is finding a path that connects back with an area you were previously in. It's so gratifying to unlock shortcuts and find new bonfires. This game simply would not be as good if it had a more...er... approachable difficulty.