Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Old Republic

Default The Old Republic

Has finally gotten a release date - in North America it's December 20th according to their site.

Here's to it not getting pushed back!

Lightside or Darkside!?

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

I still don't know if I want to try this game or not. I was excited at first, way back when they first announced it, but I dunno... I'm kind of all MMO'd out right now.

I think I'll take a "wait and see" approach with this game.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    I still don't know if I want to try this game or not. I was excited at first, way back when they first announced it, but I dunno... I'm kind of all MMO'd out right now.

I think I'll take a "wait and see" approach with this game.
    Don't play it as an MMO. Just play it as a sequel to KotoR.

With a longer story. And multiple stories. And better combat. And more exploration. And...

Having quit WoW quite a while ago (about two weeks after Cata, when I ran out of stuff to do), I am getting to the point where I am looking for another persistent-world game. And I am willing to put up with other players to get that, so I can stand the annoying fact that it's an MMO.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

I am still unsure if I'm interested. If anything Final Fantasy XIV* has taught me to actually wait a month or two after release before getting hyped over the next big thing.

I have a deep desire to invest myself in to an MMO, but I'm not overly excited for anything coming out really. I guess this and Guild Wars 2 looks good, but can only wait and see.

I personally love the social interaction in MMO's. I am unsure about WoW's community since I straight away joined a friend's guild and didn't really bother to deal with the general population, but I made some life-long friends in Final Fantasy XI and really enjoyed the community for the most part there.

*I do realise it was the worst release of any MMO to date, but still... Can't hurt to be conservative.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Yeah understandable - any new game these days I approach with jadedness - someone preordered it for me for my birthday so I'mma get this when it launches - I'm sure I'll enjoy it for a few months at least just from the previews I've seen though - from the previews of ff mmos I didn't think I'd like them and I was right.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I would really have preferred they just give me a proper sequel because anything online is basically a no-go for me.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I would really have preferred they just give me a proper sequel because anything online is basically a no-go for me. MMOs are never-ending.

29:30!

When people wanted KOtoR+MMO they did not want this.

Did you know the Sumggler and the Bounty hunter are faction locked classes?

Biotrout is suckig the OT off so hard it's trying to steal the chrome plating. If you saw any gameplay previes, it looks like a scifi WoW. Most quests are 'Kill X' quests or fetch quests. (IE: Not Fun.)

Why is anybody excited about this?
    [I]All Your Images Belong to The Overchan v2!

Webfiction | Leaving the Light. - Fanfics | Dark Distorted Mirror | Shinji and Warhammer40k | Starcrossed |

My real estate agent, old Jill
    Has excellent properties still;
    There's none of it bland,
    Still top-dollar, and
    Has vacancies I'd love to fill

Quote Originally Posted by Tainted Angel View Post
    When people wanted KOtoR+MMO they did not want this.
    There seems to be millions of people who disagree with you.

"... and so I close, realizing that perhaps the ending has not yet been written."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Giving the entire world the chance to have a lightsaber at the same time and interact is smurfing awesome no matter how it turns out.

Also I don't see any other way you can do quests, really. Aren't they always a slight variation on "go to this tit" "kill this tit" "talk to this tit"?

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

All I have to say is: Darkside.

Horde players=Darkside players, but that's fairly obvious.

Bah, now I am considering it. I just need to stay strong! Must not jump in to an MMO on release ever again...

Quote Originally Posted by Rostum View Post
    Bah, now I am considering it. I just need to stay strong! Must not jump in to an MMO on release ever again...
    Not sure which launch issue you are referring to here, but most of them seem to be handled. The amount of content I've heard talked about from those who have actually played it indicates that there is going to be plenty to do in this game, so it isn't going to be an FFXIV launch. And BioWare has done a lot of work to make the standard server overload go away. From temporary insantiation of starter zones, to a staggered launch to reduce the number of players who go active all at once, this launch is looking to be handled relatively smoothly.

Especially compared to Blizzard and their "Eh, who cares?" launch strategy.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

My brother is in the beta, today he told me he had the following three opinions of it:

"It's a WoW clone, but it's decent for a WoW clone";
    "It's basically KotOR crossed with WoW";
    "It's better than I was expecting, but still mediocre"

Obviously his opinion is just his opinion, but he is a longtime MMO player/WoW raider and a KotOR fan so I'm inclined to put some stock into his judgment.

As for me, I'll still wait and see. More and more I'm feeling done with MMOs until Blizz's new secret project.