Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Old Republic

This game is consuming all my free time. Seriously addictive. It is just so well crafted. Every day, I find something new that makes me go "why didn't WoW do this?" (also applies to most other games in the industry, but WoW is the principle comparison point).

People have asked if this game is a WoW-killer. It isn't, WoW has way too much of an insane rabid fanbase who will never leave. But this game should be, because it is far, far superior.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Fluttershy Recognized Member Ashi's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Thinking of getting the game sometime soon. But I am wondering about a few things if people that play can give me some insight, my research is coming up with nothing:
    - do you get access to different servers if you buy the US or European game? or rather, are the americans and europeans able to play on the same servers?

I am just concerned because I have friends from the US that play but at the same time I would prefer to be on servers closer to my own timezone (european). I did hear that everyone has access to all servers but can someone verify this?

Two of my guildies, including my guildmaster, live in Sweden. So, yeah, everything is fine there.

If anyone is going to play but hasn't yet, join Vornskr. It's my server, and I can craft you stuff and help you kill.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I live in Australia and I'm playing on a US server, and in the Beta I played on a EU server so you should be fine.

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Great to know!! Thanks everyone. I guess I will pick up the game soon.

Do you still have to do a whole lot of monster bashing in order to do anything on this game. That is what killed all the enjoyment for me with games like this. Monster bashing is fun for about ten minutes then it just gets ridicuously old.

Have they improved the leveling systems in recent years or is it still as horrible as it was when you had to do mindless monster bashing for hours on end just to be strong enough to get to the next zone without getting creamed.

Articles
    Blog Entries

It plays the same as most MMO's with trash mobs and grinding, but there's a pretty amazing story that really does a great job at keeping you engaged with your characters main story line, and most of the side quests are interesting as well.

Quote Originally Posted by darkchrono View Post
    Do you still have to do a whole lot of monster bashing in order to do anything on this game. That is what killed all the enjoyment for me with games like this. Monster bashing is fun for about ten minutes then it just gets ridicuously old.

Have they improved the leveling systems in recent years or is it still as horrible as it was when you had to do mindless monster bashing for hours on end just to be strong enough to get to the next zone without getting creamed.
    They did their best to specifically avoid that levelling process. Most monsters give pitiful exp, while quests give quite a lot. And there are very few regular "go kill this many monsters" quests that are main quests, most get put aside into bonus quests, which pop up while you're doing other quests and disappear just as quickly. It sounds weird, but it actually works really well, in my opinion.

FFXIV Character

Efes Ephesus (Adamantoise)

You should ask /v/ about this game!
    I like Kung-Fu.

Ghost of Christmas' past Recognized Member theundeadhero's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Villania Valski (Adamantoise)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Senior Site Staff

I bought it on release concerned that it would steal me away from being a WoW raider. It has not. It's basically something I occasionally play when I don't feel like doing anything else. I'm having a hard time justifying my account but at least I have a founder title now.

Contributions
    • Former Chat Operator

Heh I got The Old Republic because I got bored of being a WoW raider! Funny! My game got here today finally!

Anyway, I will probably pick a European server but who knows yet.