Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enjoying FFXIII

Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Sarangerel Qha (Twintania)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Site Staff

One thing about FFXIII is that it seems like they went out of their way to really pack a punch into that first play through. (Obviously replay value suffered for this, but I really loved that first run though the game!)

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

It was more an interactive movie than anything. At least that's what I tell people, it's the easiest way for them to judge whether or not they will like it

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

I liked it well enough. I think Mirage actually summed it up nicely, to be honest - people who don't like the game simply will not suggest this game to anyone. It's a fairly obvious reaction.

The average modern Final Fantasy game would score around 90 on MetaCritic. FFXIII scored about 83 (going by Wikipedia). Is that terrible? No, no it's not. So as much as "haters gonna hate", if you get past the notably outspoken individuals that really found the game to be the worst thing they've ever played (or at least they come across that way), you'll find a large number of people who still enjoyed the game to a notable enough degree to balance that overall scoring to 83.

Just play the game and make up your own mind, that's the best way. I mean, I respect WK's opinion pretty highly when it comes to a lot of things and even a bunch of games, but he can't stand FFXIII while I found the game to be entertaining and enjoyable. It does lack in replay value, though, and it does feel marginally less "FF" than most of the other modern games in the series. But the characters are very FF (I'd say that as a "you are no stronger than your weakest link" train of thought, the playable cast is the best so far), the battle system is smooth and flows very nicely, the mythology is very well done and while the ending wasn't the best (but then, I rarely like FF endings), it's okay.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love how you people act like my opinion actually accounts for something beyond crazy ramblings and inept trolling

I went into it with absolutely /no/ expectations. I had NO idea what I was going to get. Didn't read any reviews, didn't ask anybody how it was. I just went out there and got it to see what it was all about. And well, I mostly enjoyed it. (What I've played of it thus far. Haven't finished.) Sure, the gameplay's repetitive and not nice to play in long amounts of time, but I personally thought every single character was absolutely fantastic. (Like LoonyBob said, very FF.) But the only way to know is to just go in there with no expectations whatsoever and see what happens. At least, that's what I think. Just don't think or worry about it so much, and experience.

"Right and wrong are not what separate us and our enemies. It's our different standpoints, our perspectives that separate us. Both sides blame one another. There's no good or bad side. Just two sides holding different views."

Arylettopia (Update: 7/31) | LiveJournal | DeviantArt | Backloggery | Last.FM | Tumblr

A Big Deal? Recognized Member Big D's Avatar
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cool, thanks for everyone's opinions, either in favour of the game or against it. I'm thinking I'd probably find a bit to enjoy in it, especially since work and life don't leave me as much time for vast, exploration-heavy games anymore.
    FFXIII's got pretty cheap lately, so I'll probably pick it up in due course when I've run out of other gaming to occupy my free minutes

Articles
    Blog Entries

Looks like you got your answers BUT one last thing I would want to say is that a lot of people on this site hated it and believed it would be a complete and utter failure before there were even any details on the game.

Basically, if you're not one of the people who has to argue that Square has released a lot of FF entries that were absolutely garbage, you'll probably enjoy it for what it is .

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

^ I can't imagine which upstanding EoFF members you are referring to.