Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Everybody's all like "oh titanic" and I'm like "a boat sinks, who cares?"

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Supes is a story killer. He's too perfect. The Bat is pretty awesome, but his "gritty, dark realism" can become a little contrived if not presented correctly. Still Batman is a much more compelling character the reader can relate to. Part of that is that he has better villains. I love the idea of Supes but the difference is I used to read both comics as a kid. Now I'll still occasionally pick up a Batman comic.

I'll never get movies like Blair Witch Project, or Paranormal Activity.

Give me a good zombie movie, something like Halloween, or even a movie that uses the fear of the unknown well. Those first two movies just don't work.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Batman's okay, I just don't see why everyone prefers him over Spidey, Iron Man, the X-Men, etc.

Anyways...!

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    I have still never seen that movie.

Episodes 4-6 of Star Wars are good on their own unless you're soulless and can't associate with the characters. - Add nostalgia to it and it's amazing

LOTR is amazing because of the genre-genesis behind the books, but I agree - the books are textbooks with nothing real in them. The movies were a pretty big accomplishment, and aside from the eye rolls that Legolas' feats induced in me, I don't fault them.

But even in a movie I consider awesome, I hate chase scenes - they seem utterly pointless and just don't excite me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Batman's okay, I just don't see why everyone prefers him over Spidey, Iron Man, the X-Men, etc.

Anyways...!

I have still never seen that movie.
    Spidey is my favorite, and we should have a movie night where we continue to have never seen Titanic. I'm also in that proud club.

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    Spider-Man is a great hero, and my favorite growing up; unfortunately the movies have done him a great disservice. The X-Men are also great. Batman has a (potentially) darker story, and also is somewhat unique in lacking any special powers. Batman's biggest problem is that so many of his portrayals are ridiculously campy... and terrible (see: Batman & Robin). And Batman, Spider-Man, and X-Men are all better than Iron Man (which is, in turn, way better than Superman).

EDIT: I'll save everyone the trouble.
    Last edited by Raistlin; 10-03-2011 at 06:30 PM.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Supes is a hard character to write well, for the exact reasons Sharky points out, but when he's done right (e.g. Red Son, For The Man Who Has Everything, Whatever Happened To The Man Of Tomorrow?, All-Star Superman, etc.) then he's pretty much the best superhero going.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

The best Superman moments are when he interacts with Batman. They are so complete opposites that it is enjoyable to read. Superman is hard to write day-to-day stories for but when it comes to big things he is the best simply because he is so iconic. He is more than just a (super)man, he represents all superheroes. Imagine the type of stories you can create when you are not writing about a man, you are writing about a symbol. There's some good stuff in there.

I will always think Spider-Man is the best hero because he is one of the few iconic heroes who started out as just a regular nerdy kid, much like most of his readers, and actually continues to have regular kid problems after he gets his powers. His origin story is also pretty genius.

I like how this turned into a superhero debate thread.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    The best Superman moments are when he interacts with Batman. They are so complete opposites that it is enjoyable to read. Superman is hard to write day-to-day stories for but when it comes to big things he is the best simply because he is so iconic. He is more than just a (super)man, he represents all superheroes. Imagine the type of stories you can create when you are not writing about a man, you are writing about a symbol. There's some good stuff in there.

I will always think Spider-Man is the best hero because he is one of the few iconic heroes who started out as just a regular nerdy kid, much like most of his readers, and actually continues to have regular kid problems after he gets his powers. His origin story is also pretty genius.

I like how this turned into a superhero debate thread.
    I agree with pretty much this entire post.

Also, I've decided to make a superhero thread so we can continue the debate: >>http://forums.eyesonff.com/lounge/13...superhero.html

Blog Entries

I never saw what was so great about the 'Tears in Rain' speech at the end of Blade Runner. It felt like a bit of an anticlimax when he just sort of keeled over at the end of it.

there was a picture here

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    I never saw what was so great about the 'Tears in Rain' speech at the end of Blade Runner. It felt like a bit of an anticlimax when he just sort of keeled over at the end of it.
    I love Blade Runner, but it's one of those movies you like or you don't.

I re-watched Mad Max not too long ago, and the whole movie felt anti-climatic.
    I ruined my nostalgia with reality, and now I'm afraid to watch the other two.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't like Star Wars movies either, but I respect what they have brought really amazing visual effects and originality to film. I hardly think they are overrated, just not of everyone's taste.

With that said, I agree with Del. I didn't get the appeal of Napoleon Dynamite. I found it boring and most of the people in my high school that quoted it incessantly were as annoying and rude as him. I also didn't get the appeal of Batman Begins. I thought it sucked to be quite frank. The Dark Night was obviously much better.

PG: A.I. is Kubrick's film up until the end when Spielberg ruined it by adding an extended ending with aliens because he feels the need to add aliens to every smurfing thing. The REAL ending, Kubrick's ending, is just before that bit when he's floating in the abyss.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Del Murder View Post
    Napoleon Dynamite: I am not sure what anyone ever found funny about this movie.
    That movie is just so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkythesharkdogg View Post
    I'll never get movies like Blair Witch Project, or Paranormal Activity.

Give me a good zombie movie, something like Halloween, or even a movie that uses the fear of the unknown well. Those first two movies just don't work.
    Oh Odin, me too. I don't see why people go nuts over that trout. It's all the same crap.

Oh yeah, another would have to be E.T. I found the whole film to be incredibly boring. After watching it and hearing everyone loved it I was confused and had to go back and watch it again, but no, I couldn't even sit through the whole thing. Overrated.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yeah, ET was pretty boring to watch as an adult. I don't remember if I liked it as a kid but I don't think I did. I think I was scared of ET.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum