Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Iconic scenes/movies you dont get

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I tried watching the Lord of the Rings movies, I really did, but I fell asleep each time I tried. They were too long, which is something that should never be done for films. Okay James Cameron and all the Harry Potter directors? The films had redeeming qualities -- though all I can say from a standpoint of someone who has never read the books, is that they were pretty in regards to location, cinematography, and visual effects.

I must say I don't follow some of Charlie Kaufman's films, especially Synecdoche, New York - I had trouble understanding the point of that film. Also the last quarter or so of Adaptation was a really bizarre shift in tone, though I think we're supposed to believe that Kaufman's imaginary twin brother wrote the ending (because he's also becoming a screenwriter and follows the Hollywood formula, unlike Charlie).

I didn't get the ending of 2001 A Space Odyssey either, and found it really boring. I tried watching David Lynch's first film Eraserhead and gave up on it (so slow!). And some of the elements of Twin Peaks (the show and film) were challenging, but I think I developed my own interpretation that made sense, and I actually really enjoyed the show, though the ending was quite disconcerting.

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love children's movies (when they're done right), enjoy this movie, and have no shame in getting emotionally involved in sad scenes from any movie (not just children's), but I just don't get what the big deal was about (SPOILER)Mustaffa's death in The Lion King. Everyone talks like he was the first Disney character to die, which is debatable. Also everyones so damn confused about how he died, his death just annoys me now. Also, it's nowhere near as emotional as people say (and I still cry over sad scenes in my childhood movies when I watch them even now), seriously! (SPOILER)Simba's basic reaction was "Damn, my dad's dead... dude that sucks."

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I'd say (SPOILER)Simba's reaction was about on par with Luke Skywalker's. Considering they're brothers and all.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Blog Entries

Seeing as we're spoiler tagging films that everybody on the planet saw decades ago: (SPOILER)The Titanic sinks in the end

there was a picture here

Friendship *is* magic. MJN SEIFER's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    Seeing as we're spoiler tagging films that everybody on the planet saw decades ago: (SPOILER)The Titanic sinks in the end
    (SPOILER)Very funny. There's still people who haven't seen old movies.

Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Loony Bob (Twintania)

Okay, they aren't movies, but Quentin Tarantino is without doubt the most overrated director of all time and Will Ferrell makes terrible movies with terrible humour. Will is worse than Quentin, mind you. Quentin at least has a couple of good movies, but they are certainly overrated all the same. Every movie he makes is labelled as a 'must see' and often they are rated amongst the best of all time, when really, they're never as good as people make them out to be. Even Pulp Fiction, while a great movie, is not a top ten movie of all time, which apparently many see it as.

I have never completely enjoyed a movie in which Will has the starring role. His movies, for me, are movies for idiots to watch and giggle at, possibly while high.
    Bow before the mighty Javoo!

Don't get mad, get moist I Don't Need A Name's Avatar
    Articles

FFXIV Character

Howie Kipps (Sargatanas)

Will Ferrell is just completely unfunny, Will Smith is a terrible actor and Fresh Prince was never funny. The Hangover is a terrible film and FRIENDS is the worst TV series ever devised. The Shining is a godawful film. Not even joking
    I made one myself for a change! Although you can probably tell that..

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

Quote Originally Posted by MJN SEIFER View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Manus View Post
    (SPOILER)Very funny. There's still people who haven't seen old movies.
    (SPOILER)Charles Foster Kane, an enormously wealthy (SPOILER)media proprietor, has been living alone in (SPOILER)Florida in his vast palatial estate (SPOILER)Xanadu for the last years of his life, with a (SPOILER)"No trespassing" sign on the gate. He (SPOILER)dies in a bed while holding a (SPOILER)snow globe and utters (SPOILER)"Rosebud..."; the globe slips from his (SPOILER)dying hand and (SPOILER)smashes. (SPOILER)Kane's (SPOILER)death then becomes sensational news around the world. Newsreel reporter (SPOILER)Jerry Thompson tries to find out about (SPOILER)Kane's private life and, in particular, to discover the meaning behind (SPOILER)his last word. The reporter interviews the great man's friends and associates, and (SPOILER)Kane's story unfolds as a series of flashbacks. (SPOILER)Thompson approaches (SPOILER)Kane's second wife, Susan Alexander, now an alcoholic who runs her own club, but she (SPOILER)refuses to tell him anything. (SPOILER)Thompson then goes to the private archive of (SPOILER)Walter Parks Thatcher, a (SPOILER)deceased banker who served as Kane's guardian during his childhood and adolescence. It is through (SPOILER)Thatcher's written memoirs that (SPOILER)Thompson learns about Kane's childhood. (SPOILER)Thompson then interviews (SPOILER)Kane's personal business manager (SPOILER)Mr. Bernstein, best friend (SPOILER)Jedediah Leland, (SPOILER)Susan for a second time, and (SPOILER)Kane's butler Raymond at (SPOILER)Xanadu.

Flashbacks reveal that (SPOILER)Kane's childhood was spent in poverty in Colorado (his parents ran a boarding house), until the(SPOILER) "world's third largest gold mine" was discovered on the seemingly worthless property his mother had acquired. He is (SPOILER)forced to leave his mother when she sends him away to (SPOILER)the East Coast of the U.S. to live with Thatcher, to (SPOILER)be educated. After (SPOILER)gaining full control over his possessions at the age of 25, (SPOILER)Kane enters the (SPOILER)newspaper business with (SPOILER)sensationalized yellow journalism. He takes control of the newspaper, the (SPOILER)New York Inquirer, and hires all the best journalists. His attempted rise to power is documented, including his manipulation of public opinion for (SPOILER)the Spanish American War; his first marriage to(SPOILER) Emily Monroe Norton, a President's niece; and his campaign for the office of (SPOILER)governor of New York State, for which alternative newspaper headlines are created depending on the result.

(SPOILER)Kane's marriage (SPOILER)disintegrates over the years, and he begins an affair with (SPOILER)Susan Alexander. Both his wife and his opponent discover the affair, simultaneously (SPOILER)ending his marriage and his political career. (SPOILER)Kane marries (SPOILER)his mistress, and forces her into (SPOILER)an operatic career for which she has no talent or ambition. (SPOILER)Kane finally allows her to abandon (SPOILER)her singing career after she (SPOILER)attempts suicide, but after a span of time spent in boredom and isolation in (SPOILER)Xanadu, she ultimately (SPOILER)leaves him.

(SPOILER)Kane spends his last years (SPOILER)building his vast estate and lives alone, interacting only with (SPOILER)his staff. The butler recounts that (SPOILER)Kane had said (SPOILER)"Rosebud" after (SPOILER)Susan (SPOILER)left him, right after seeing a (SPOILER)snow globe.

At (SPOILER)Xanadu, (SPOILER)Kane's vast number of belongings are being cataloged, ranging from (SPOILER)priceless works of art to (SPOILER)worthless furniture. During this time, (SPOILER)Thompson finds that he is unable to solve the mystery and concludes that (SPOILER)"Rosebud" will forever remain an enigma. He theorizes that "Mr. (SPOILER)Kane was a (SPOILER)man who got everything he wanted, and then (SPOILER)lost it. Maybe (SPOILER)Rosebud was something he couldn't get, or something he lost." In the ending of the film, it is revealed to the audience that (SPOILER)Rosebud (SPOILER)was (SPOILER)the (SPOILER)name (SPOILER)of (SPOILER)the (SPOILER)s(SPOILER)l(SPOILER)e(SPOILER)d from (SPOILER)Kane's childhood – an allusion to (SPOILER)the only time in his life when he was truly happy. The (SPOILER)sled, thought to be (SPOILER)junk, is (SPOILER)burned and destroyed in a basement furnace by (SPOILER)Xanadu's departing staff.

Phew, definitely didn't want to ruin that one for you guys! Gotta admit I don't quite get (SPOILER)Citizen Kane on a personal level, although I certainly understand why it was important and I have a lot of respect for it.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I Don't Need A Name View Post
    Will Ferrell is just completely unfunny, Will Smith is a terrible actor and Fresh Prince was never funny. The Hangover is a terrible film and FRIENDS is the worst TV series ever devised. The Shining is a godawful film. Not even joking
    I can't even... what is this... hmph.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have you seen every episode of Fresh Prince of Bel-Air because it definitely was.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Show me someone who doesn't like Fresh Prince and I'll show you a racist.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

I will never take away from Tolkien the shear scope of the world he has created and the immense details and Mythos of his worlds.

What I will take from him is his writing itself is boring as piss, and has an inability to create a good atmosphere in the entirety of his Lord of the Rings Trilogy, something that a person like H.P. Lovecraft can do in even his bad short stories. (Of course he only has a couple that are bad, and it may be unfair of me to compare anyone's ability to create an atmosphere like Lovecraft can. )

Edit: And I'll agree that on a whole Quinten is overrated, but when he makes a good movie, damn is it good. Inglorious Bastards was freaking amazing.

Microwaving canned bread TrollHunter's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I... I... oh my god...
    Eyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Although I do like it, I still don't fully understand Antichrist. Is it just Lars von Trier's misogyny put to celluloid, or is it a movie about that misogyny?

Jellyfish swim by.