Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Iconic scenes/movies you dont get

Blog Entries

Default Iconic scenes/movies you dont get

I just watched Say Anything after rewatching a certain episode of Modern Family, and I do not get what is so great about the boombox scene. Had I not known the reference I would not have understood what was going on, and it doesnt even look like he's outside her window (he's in a park), she doesnt rush out to see him as what seems to happen in every parody and I do not get what is so parody worthy about this scene or why it is always referenced as romantic when it seems to be aiming for depressing.
    Normally when I see something thats well known which I dont like, i can still see the appeal and why it would be interesting to some people, but i just dont get this movie and especially not this scene.
    Also they never wore seatbelts which irked me.

So any popular movies or such you dont get?
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!

Articles

FFXIV Character

Novi Glitzko (Sargatanas)

Anchorman. I actually am a big fan of Will Ferrell but for the life of me can never get the humour of this movie, yet my friends have it up on a pedestal.

All of the Star Wars films.

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I just do not enjoy these movies at all. I've tried watching the original trilogy about 5 times and I just end up turning the first movie off every time, it's just so boring. I've given up now and I feel fine saying now that Star Wars is not only overrated, but is also rubbish.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post

I'm a huge fan of sci-fi, but I just do not enjoy these movies at all. I've tried watching the original trilogy about 5 times and I just end up turning the first movie off every time, it's just so boring. I've given up now and I feel fine saying now that Star Wars is not only overrated, but is also rubbish.
    Lies and political slander.

Articles
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post

Agreed. While I liked the films, particularly the original trilogy, these films aren't particularly well-written, deep, or amazing.

Your very own Pikachu! Banned Peegee's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Grin

I have a 5-10 minute rule. if I cannot get involved in a narrative within 10 minutes at the most (sometimes as little as 5 minutes) I quit trying.

Consequently 99.999% of mangas, anime, most of the earlier STANLEY KUBRICK films (I have only watched eyes wide shut, full metal jacket, and after a lot of attempts, clockwork orange). I refuse to watch the shining (it is boring), 2001 a space odyssey (wtf is it even about? I managed to get to the opening meeting scene), won't even attempt the rest. Kubrick started 'A.I' but I don't consider that one of his films. However i am not sure how much Kubrick actually worked on that film - apparently Spielberg just wrote a screenplay adopting the Pinocchio theme. At least with Kubrick I can be glad that there's no aliens at the end. Oh wait those are robobots. Yeah right.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't get what's scary about: Zombies, vampires, small asian girls with long black hair partially covering their otherwise pale face, aliens, possessed people, werewolves, ghosts and psychic kids.

But I love horror movies.

I don't get some obligatory car chase scenes or fighting scenes. If I didn't think people enjoyed them I would guess they only still exist to further employ people who started working with these things in the 80's.

But I guess the main point of this thread is to mention specific movies, I guess I'd have to say Pulp Fiction and The Matrix. I just think they're pretentious mainly, but I'm well aware I'm in a minority here.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

The Lord of the Rings: Not saying it's bad; it's a good series and I do like the movies, but I don't get the gigantic obsession.

Horror movies in general: There are of course some exceptions but not many.

Batman, in general: Most overrated superhero ever. (SPOILER)To be fair, I might be somewhat biased by personal reasons I won't go into at the moment

Come at me bros.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Pike View Post
    The Lord of the Rings: Not saying it's bad; it's a good series and I do like the movies, but I don't get the gigantic obsession.
    ITT Steph tries to set a world record for posting while as high as is physically possible.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    ITT Steph tries to set a world record for posting while as high as is physically possible.
    Hey, it's perfectly sane to think there's a difference between enjoying the trilogy and naming your kid Legolas.

(SPOILER)Especially because Gimli would be a superior name

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Agreed completely, and I think most of it is just fandom continuing from the books, which are also overrated. Tolkien basically invented the fantasy genre with LotR, but judged on their own merits, the books are poorly developed and outright boring at times. I think the movies, except for the first one, are actually more entertaining.

That being said, your heretical view of Batman basically voids anything you have to say, ever.

Raistlin displaying yet more reasons why the almighty seen fit to put his penis just above his eyes.

LOTR books are simply amazing reads. Tolkein basically created not only a story but a world, several languages for that world, and in his world created a history. The way the books are written is it's charm. I always find it's the regimented type of person that don't like his books. Those of free thought lap that trout up.

I'm pretty open to many things but I just don't get a LOT of American 'humour'. Two & A Half Men, King of Queens, that type. It has the humour & subtly of an American College student....ohhhh I see what they're up to there.

Seriously, if braindead humour was my thing I'd repeadedly smash my head off a 'Watch Your Head' sign. English commedy is head & shoulders above anything I've ever seen. Always has been.

What else....Oh Yea. Japanese smurfing comics. Manga trout and all those smurfing anime cartoons. What a lot of BALLS they are.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Batman, in general: Most overrated superhero ever. (SPOILER)To be fair, I might be somewhat biased by personal reasons I won't go into at the moment
    You're objectively wrong; that's Superman.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Napoleon Dynamite: I am not sure what anyone ever found funny about this movie.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    You're objectively wrong; that's Superman.
    Don't let MILF catch you talking bad about Supes.