Thread: Dexter Season 6: Pitchfork Time *spoilers*

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    And the writers are assholes for making two divorced actors go down this dumbass storyline.
    I couldn't help but wonder if the writers are just smurfing with them.

I agree with the hate against the psychiatrist. Whether they're blood related is trivial; they were raised together, which makes them siblings more than anything else. And makes any (suggested) sexual relationship more disturbing.

I also loved how Dex was eagerly on the "let's help the police" bandwagon for all of... 5 minutes? And then it's back to "I must get Travis myself!" even after DHS handed back the case. Speaking of terrorism, I'm not sure why Dexter had to be so secretive about looking up pictures of Adam and finding his wife, especially considering his stance at the time that he was going to share everything with the police.

And anyone who did not predict that ending immediately when the EMT was telling Dexter about the possible side effects needs their foreshadowing meters checked (Shlup). The writers have been very blatant with it this season.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Children imprint a sibling relationship between ages six and eight, which Dexter and Deb certainly went through together. The two of them having "feelings" for each other is infinitely more psychologically smurfed up than two biological siblings who didn't meet until adulthood. Horrid.

Travis: I have the great Dexter Morgan! I will tie his hands and feet together with a shoelace and then make him explode! Ahahahaha! I'm on a boat.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

(SPOILER)Well it's about time Deb found out. So is she gonna kill herself because she's an emotional trainwreck or what?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

(SPOILER)I smurfing knew it when Deb went into the shrink's office about how she knew now about Dexter. I knew that she was then going to go to the church to tell him. I gave it good odds that the writers would try to liven up an otherwise boring last third or so of an entire season with the big reveal. Which it did, and certainly makes me very eager for next season.

Deb's sudden revelation about her feelings for Dexter seemed forced. Though Deb herself is an emotional enough of a train wreck that it's not too unbelievable that she'd jump right in after a suggestion from her shrink. Who's equally fast suggestion of feelings for Dexter was also forced (she can idealize Dexter and look for partners that remind her of him without being in love with him). And I still don't see how loving Dexter makes her wild rides of relationships make any more sense.

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

smurf all of you, I want Debster for season 7. Maybe killing together, maybe Dexter explains it away. Not going to spoiler tag anything because if you're stupid enough to go into a specific season thread after it's finished then you smurfing deserve to be spoiled.

I think Dexter will explain it away in like a "He kidnapped Harrison, that smurfer was going to die by my mothersmurfing hand." Pretty great season but not as good as 5.
    :joey:

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am not down with this incest bulltrout. I am, however, down with this Deb finding out bulltrout.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Primus Inter Pares View Post
    smurf all of you, I want Debster for season 7.
    I just think the whole issue came up in a really forced fashion in the show. The mild distaste I would feel if they actually did hook up once would be outmatched by my amusement at the sheer outrage of everyone who cannot tolerate seeing something that they personally don't approve of. More importantly, though, Deb and Dexter working together would indeed be awesome.

I think Dexter will explain it away in like a "He kidnapped Harrison, that smurfer was going to die by my mothersmurfing hand."
    Deb's not that stupid. Dexter could have killed him on the roof instead of dragging him to a different location, wrapping him up, grabbing all sorts of tools, etc. A crime of passion it was not. I, for one, am hoping the full story comes out.

Last thought I realized only after my last post: why in the world would Dexter set up a kill room in a nearby place where people knew he would be, especially his sister, regardless of the unlikelihood of a visit? Dexter's smurf ups this season could last a lifetime.

Nulli Secundus Primus Inter Pares's Avatar

I think Deb has put Dex on this type of pedestal now he could bulltrout his way out of this pretty well. He could say he didn't want to kill him infront of Harrison etc.
    :joey:

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I've been waiting for Deb to find out for years, but this was a crappy way to do it. In a lame season with a lame villain, followed by a bulltrout revelation that she is romantically in love with her brother.

It almost seems like a waste. The kill room with Lumen would have been a much better reveal.

And how the hell did Dexter manage to drag Travis' body all the way down the building and to his car? In broad daylight? On a day when the building staff must have been on alert for suspicious behavior. WTF???

I was hoping when they introduced the therapist that the therapist would help Deb see patterns in Dexter's behavior that would help her slowly realize that something is very off with her brother, and then lead to the reveal. Deb has been shown to have great instincts, except when it comes to really seeing Dexter for what he is. The therapy could have been a launching pad for her putting the pieces together, culminating in the reveal. They went a completely different and nonsensical approach. I don't think I EVER noticed anything in Deb's character except her extreme neediness this season that would suggest she was IN love with Dexter. It's like they just completely pulled that one out of their ass. And it just really annoys me so much that the show seems to be writing it off as being ok, simply because they're not blood related. Incest repulsion has extremely little to do with blood relationship. And it's totally reasonable for Deb to have extremely strong attachments toward her brother without wanting to smurf him.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Miriel View Post
    I was hoping when they introduced the therapist that the therapist would help Deb see patterns in Dexter's behavior that would help her slowly realize that something is very off with her brother, and then lead to the reveal. Deb has been shown to have great instincts, except when it comes to really seeing Dexter for what he is.
    This would have been a far better reveal. I guess you could liken it to any version of Superman where Lois Lane has to be told Clark is Superman. We're honestly expected to believe that one of the greatest investigative journalists can't eventually put two and two together. Same goes for a detective who's pretty damn good at her job. It's kind of insulting to the character to have them be that completely dense forever.

Personally, I'm hoping they 180 on the Deb loving Dexter thing as well. Pass it off as her confusing what she was feeling for him as love (or whatever else you want, considering her lack of healthy relationships with men it wouldn't be totally far fetched) and back the hell away from this storyline. Her coping with Dex being a serial killer is infinitely more interesting than her wanting to jump her brothers bones anyway.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Given how forced and haphazardly this "sub-plot" was done (and I hesitate to even refer to it as any sort of "plot"), I can only assume it was put into the story as a vehicle to have Deb become even more idealizing of Dexter and to put her in the church at that time. I expect the romance element to take a backseat immediately once the next season starts.

That, or things will get awkwaaaaaard.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

xD Well I agree with most of y'all. Having Debra find out Dexter through detective work would've been much better. And hell yes they need to 180 on the sibling love story. These last few episodes kinda makes it seem like they heard fans predicting what they planned as the ~BIG TWIST~ of the season, so they hurried that up and threw another quick twist in there instead.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    I expect the romance element to take a backseat immediately once the next season starts.

That, or things will get awkwaaaaaard.
    Considering Deb isn't a complete psychopath the writing would have to get unbelievably bad for the romance to not take a back seat. If there's anything more awkward than telling your brother you love him, it's probably telling him that after you just watched him murder someone in cold blood with the tools handy to dismember and dispose of the body.