Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

Good on ya!

Now: Enjoy the game, ignore Ultros, and don't skip any character sub-quests. I don't know if you can, but there'll be all the reason you need to reassemble your sprite-army once 'that' happens. You'll know what I mean when you get there.
    This Apple-software (QuickTime) is not meant to be used for controlling nuclear powerplants, aircraft-navigation, communication-systems, air traffic control-systems or lifesupportive machines, where errors and shortcomings in the Apple-software may lead to deaths, injuries or serious property- or environmental damage.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

OK, he's back up and running... and immediately is having trouble with these guys in the cave! It took me a few fights to realise that using Sabin's Fire Dance is really not a very good idea. I've been using his Aurabolt instead which seems to be the most effective.

I've been using Cura on the undead creatures which is dealing a decent amount of damage. They're still pretty tricky though... any other tips on dealing with these pricks?

I've just found a Genji Glove and used a tent at a save point. Will be cracking on with it tonight.

Progress

Gil: 255314

Sabin
    LV: 29
    HP: 1419
    MP: 372

Edgar
    LV: 28
    HP: 1322
    MP: 407

Terra
    LV: 27
    HP: 1207
    MP: 359

Locke
    LV: 28
    HP: 1332
    MP: 363

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Chances are the Outcasts are causing you issues cause they are pains in the ass in general. You have a few strategies here: Since they are undead, they can be instantly killed with a Phoenix Down or Holy Water item, they are weak to Holy and Water so Aurabolt and Mog's Water Rondo Dance are really effective against them, also their Lifeshaver attack is earth elemental so if you have been exploring the areas I told you earlier, like say Thamasa, their is an enemy there that has Gaia Gear Vests as equipment you can steal from, they will completely neutralize their attack.

Zombie Dragon's are also susceptible to Phoenix Downs and Holy Waters. They are also incredibly weak to Fire Magic so have Terra just cast Fira on them as a single spell. Also Edgar's Noiseblaster will discombobulate the enemy and give you a few extra turns without worrying about being hit. Locke is pretty useless in here I'm afraid, the only decent loot he can steal is Phoenix Downs in case you decide to go for the one-hit-KO approach with the undead, Amulets, which are not that great of a relic at this point but can be sold for Gil, and Poison Rods which are pretty nasty damage items but are only useful if you don't intend on being liberal with whom you teach magic to. I'd probably drop him for Mog or Gau so I can exploit Water elemental weaknesses.

There is a also a switch that summons a Ninja, they are extremely dangerous because they are actually an enemy you should be fighting later on. They have some nasty AoE abilites and like to use the Vanish spell on themselves. Make sure someone casts a magic spell (preferably Thundara) on them every round in case they use a Invisible Scroll, have Edgar use either the Chainsaw or Drill tool for high damage and Sabin should use Meteor Strike since it should be his strongest physical Blitz available to you right now.

Editga: Also, there is a very useful weapon in this dungeon called Ultima Weapon. I will be weak right now but it can become the strongest weapon in the game. The problem is that this is your only real chance to get it until the absolute end of the game, so make sure you get it, because this is one of the dungeons that gets closed off from the player once you leave it.

Hi, it's my first playtrough too, and i think i am somewhere in the end, and i want to know what level must characters have minimum to kill final boss?
    I and don't want to mess this up like in FF VII where i couldn't kill Sephiroth lol

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Generally, level 40+ is a safe bet, it really comes down to who you are using, what their equipment looks like, and whether you have certain spells or not like Reraise (Life3) or Ultima.

oh, so i have no problem, my characters are 70+, and about 7 of them have ultima...

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Good effort, Xardrick! I'm not quite up to your heady heights yet but I'm making steady progress.

I've passed through the cave at the sealed gate and returned to Vector to have a bit of grub with that Gestahl bloke. Obviously it was some kind of test because I was given a load of stuff at the end. I don't think I spoke to enough of his men but i still ended up with quite a lot. His army pulled out of Figaro and Doma and I got a Tinitibar (of which I already had one) and they unlocked that weapons chamber (which I stupidly forgot to go to before getting on that boat with Leo).

Is there any more stuff to be had for performing better at the feast? I've got a save point after the sealed gate and was wondering if it was worth doing it again? Especially when I forgot to get the stuff from the weapons chamber at the base

Here's my update

Progress

Gil: 355993

Locke
    LV: 33
    HP: 1839
    MP: 426

Shadow
    LV: 30
    HP: 1512
    MP: 388

Terra
    LV: 32
    HP: 1722
    MP: 423

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Yeah, there is one other item, a Ward Ring that lowers enemy encounter rates. Chances are, you missed the two officers standing guard outside the main entrance. Most people don't think you can leave the building through the front door. It's not a big deal. There is also a missable scene back on the Blackjack, if you travel to it before going to meet up with Leo and leave for Thamasa, then you get an amusing encounter with Setzer and Cid trying to repair his ship, and some foreshadowing about an event later.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    There is also a missable scene back on the Blackjack, if you travel to it before going to meet up with Leo and leave for Thamasa, then you get an amusing encounter with Setzer and Cid trying to repair his ship, and some foreshadowing about an event later.
    ... I never knew this. My beloved FFVI kept secrets from me

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Don't feel too bad, I only found out about it myself in the past few years after reading the FF Wiki.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well... Kefka's a bit of a bastard, isn't he?

Considering Leo is hard as nails I really didn't see that coming at all. I was pretty gutted to be honest... So Kefka has taken care of a load of espers which I'm sure will mean that he'll be tough to fight next time.

I managed to get back to the Imperial Base to grab all those items that I missed last time and am just about to head to the Continent. Still enjoying this thoroughly, the story has me gripped! I assume I'm still quite a way off from getting to the end of the tale?

Progress

Gil: 305442

Relm
    LV: 29
    HP: 1389
    MP: 387

Locke
    LV: 34
    HP: 1941
    MP: 438

Terra
    LV: 33
    HP: 1824
    MP: 435

Strago
    LV: 31
    HP: 1586
    MP: 408

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Well after the Floating Continent you get a lot of freedom to choose what you do, so you could be really close to the end of the tale or still far away! I don't want to say anything and spoil anything for you, but please oh please don't leave Shadow behind. Wait until the timer has only a few seconds left!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

The Floating Continent can be mean if you're not prepared for it, but you're high enough that it shouldn't be too much of a drag. Afterward is when the real fun begins. Open-ended world with as much to give as you choose to put into it. The optional side-questing of the second continent set the tone for the FFs to come after it. It's a shame that SE has gone away from that kind of content.
    On a personal level, it makes me very happy when someone else is able to enjoy FFVI, the best game to ever exist on any platform of any genre I don't care what anyone says, just try to prove that it's not the best game ever and you just show me a better game and I'll show you a pile of chocobo dung because all other games pale in comparison to the greatness that is FFVI. Best opening? check. Best music? check. Best characters? check. Best boss? sephirothwho check. Best optional characters ever in any game? double check. Opera scene cooler than real opera? check. Epic bestiality sex scene and birth of mutant esper-baby? whoa wtf checkmate.

I will reiterate what somebody else said already. When you have the choice

> Jump!
    Wait!

Make DAMN sure you choose Wait. And then just wait. Got me?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Wow. I didn't really see that coming. Just taking a bit of a breather after the world was seemingly torn apart.

Thanks for the not-so-subtle hints guys! I definitely waited! Although I'm really glad you told me because I would've been getting a bit twitchy round the 10-second mark. I took a bit of a battering on the continent but I was still strong enough to get through.

From what you guys have put it looks like the world (or what's left) is gonna open up quite a bit now which I'm looking forward to. This is where I usually get side-tracked by some crazy sub-quest or mini-game but the story is great so I'll try and stay focused!

Progress

Gil: 352118

Celes
    LV: 32
    HP: 1696
    MP: 422