Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

FFXIV Character

Kaladin Cho'Sinn (Sargatanas)

Well the story is the subplots in the world of ruin. You can finish the game a relatively short distance into the second half of the game. So don't focus. Go crzy.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Cheers for that. I'll get myself about a bit!

Just a quick one. It seems my extraordinary real-life fishing skills have been replicated perfectly in this game... that being I didn't catch any fish and Cid has now snuffed it.

I don't want to go through the whole attempted suicide section again but is there any reward for keeping Cid alive?

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

No, you don't get anything really. Not even a good story sequence. He literally gets out of bed, says he's feeling better, tells you he built a raft and sends you on your way. He then stays on the island for the rest of the game and simply mumbles something about you finding your friends and hope and all that nonsense. It is more emotionally fulfilling to let him die, cause Celes' suicide attempt is just a really poignant moment in the game for most.

There will be a reason to come back to the island later, just to pick something up, but Cid's survival has nothing to do with it, so you're good. You've now reached the point in the game where things will get harder, and it's really easy to get lost in doing everything. It may be difficult to not spoil certain things at this point, but feel free to ask questions. Just be sure to talk to all the NPCs. they will point you in the right direction, so you don't have to ask us. It is very easy to miss some stuff in this part of the game.

FFXIV Character

I see what you did there. >_>
    Now gtfo.
    (PO_O)==P|X_o)/

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Still making steady progress since the world was torn apart. I'm loving this new altered world. It reminded me a little of the light/dark world scenario in A Link to the Past. Obviously without being a direct parallel world like alttp, this new world with skewed continents whilst retaining the old towns is intriguing. There is also a bigger sense of foreboding in this game which really adds to the atmosphere.

After doing a lot of scouting around with Celes, I've now re-united with Sabin and Edgar. They're all around level 36 with all over 2000 hp. They're all equipped with lots of Diamond/Gold Weapons/Armour, Just found Royal Crown which Sabin is sporting (which I imagine he'd look slightly camp wearing). I've got Celes equipped with Ultima Weapon which she is kicking arse with.

I do like increasing my character stats by using the espers when they level up. It annoys the hell out of me when I forget to equip one with a bonus beforehand.

I've just quick-sanded it over to Kohlingen in Figaro Castle and am about to do some investigating.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Make sure to buy some Holy Waters and Phoenix Downs in Kohligen, you're going to need them for the next dungeon. Also, avoid any weapons with an instant death property to them. That's right, you've got a date with some undead.

FFXIV Character

Don't forget to hit the bar!

Whatever you do from here on is kind of up to you. Don't be in a hurry. Just enjoy the show.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

Mirage Askai (Sargatanas)

If you want to learn magic without leveling up unnecessarily (so you can get cooler stat boosts on levelup later), you can fight on the veldt. You get magic points there, but not experience points.
    everything is wrapped in gray
    i'm focusing on your image
    can you hear me in the void?

You can also get Magic Points only in the Cult of Kefka's Tower. Had to equip Wall Rings at such a low level though.

Haven't posted in a while so.

It's possible to upgrade Odin into Raiden. Avoid doing so if you figure out how. The only way to increase your speed stat is through Odin.

The only thing we can do now is tell you what the FAQ tells you. That you can steal Ribbon's from Bracosaurs and get their dropped Economizers.

I steal Thunder Shields to turn into Genji Shields in the Collesseum. You can easily beat the game at a low to mid level with some spells and bought equipment.

I don't think it merits an in depth response. Hope you enjoyed the game. I'm sure others can help you out too.
    http://www.youtube.com/Greatermaxim

Terra..................Fight
    LV99...................Morph
    HP9999................All Magic
    MP999.................Item

Vigor 45................R-Hand: Illumina
    Speed 90..............L-Hand: Genji Shield
    Stamina 40...........Helmet: Oath Veil
    Magic Pwr 110......Armor: Minerva
    Bat Pwr 255
    Defense 216.........Relic: Ribbon
    Evade 75
    Magic D 184.........Relic: Economizer
    Magic B 87

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

It's possible to upgrade Odin into Raiden. Avoid doing so if you figure out how. The only way to increase your speed stat is through Odin.
    No longer correct, assuming he is playing the GBA version. The new esper Sabotender (or was it Cactuar, I forgot) boosts speed by two points per level, one more than Odin's bonus.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I am indeed playing the GBA version.

I'd taken a brief hiatus from this game over the last couple of months. I was understandably distracted by Uncharted 3, ICO and Shadow of the Colossus and Skyward Sword.

I powered it up last night and found myself following the white bird to Zozo. I managed to fight my way through Mt Zozo and re-unite with Cyan. I also barely survived a fight with a ridiculously hard dragon (1 of 8 - not sure if this was the first one or if there isn't really an order). I pretty much had everyone healing except Sabin (and occasionally Edgar) who I had on constant attack.

Anyway, quick question. Where is the best place to level up in this game? My characters are around 38-39. I've been coping fine so far but that dragon made me think I should beef up a bit.

tech spirit
    Articles
    Blog Entries

FFXIV Character

The dragons can be killed in any order you want. Two of them are in the final dungeon, so if you've got 2 left before going there, you're still good to go.

I would say don't level up. Not unless you get game overs repeatedly. These dragons are supposed to be challenging, but managing to kill one means you're still strong enough. The Wind Dragon isn't the easiest of them either.

The next time you play through the game, I'm sure you'll find the dragons easy even if you are 5 levels lower than you are now. Last time I played I think i was in the late 30s when I killed the last boss.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Update time!

I have no other games to distract me now (Uncharted: Golden Abyss was the last one) so I'm going to dedicate my time to this game. I need to see how it ends!

I had a monster session last night which resulted in quite a few Game Overs in the Phoenix Cave. I tried to split my party as evenly as I could and realised this wasn't the best way to go about it. I kept getting battered by the Red Dragon. I forgot about Mog's encounter-none charm so I put him in a weak party and had assembled my strongest party to do all the fighting. I made reasonably short work with the red dragon using Edgar's chainsaw and Celes' Blizzaga.

I'm off to go and hunt some more dragons now. My characters are levelled to around 40 and apart from the dragons I seem to be pretty comfortable. I'm still missing Shadow but I'm sure he'll turn up at some point!

EDIT: The scene between Locke and Rachel (then Locke and Celes) after the Phoenix Cave was lovely. It was a really nice moment in the game.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Have you met Shadow in the Ruined World? Also, have you met Umaro and Gogo yet? Have you seen the Ancient City that's buried underground as well?