Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Final Fantasy VI: First playthrough!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf Kanno View Post
    Have you met Shadow in the Ruined World? Also, have you met Umaro and Gogo yet? Have you seen the Ancient City that's buried underground as well?
    Yeah, I met Shadow on the Veldt. Been chatting to Loony BoB and he's directed me to the Colliseum to find him. Can't say I've heard of Umaro or Gogo yet. Pretty sure I haven't seen this underground Ancient City either.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I'll give you some hints then:

Umaro - When was the last time you checked up on that frozen esper everyone was freaking out about in the beginning of the game? I should take Mog along so he can see his old home as well.

Gogo - Have you seen that new worm creature on Traingle Island? Wonder what would happen if you didn't attack and just stood there for awhile, no matter what it does...

Ancient City - I wonder what the people of Figaro Castle are doing? You fixed the castle, I hope it's still doing okay.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Thanks for the hints, Mr Kanno.

As you will no doubt all remember, I am in the world of ruin. I have been reunited with everyone now, I think. Just re-acquired Mog in Narshe, defeated the ice dragon (3 of 8) and had a spat with the frozen esper... which is now my bitch.

Just done a healthy bout of magic grinding. Gau has Ultima and I've got two others with Fire 3. All characters are levels 45-50. I'm confident I can see it through to the end this time.

I watched you replying but I was not sure you really would do that considering everyone else posting in this thread earlier is dead already.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Well, the Cultists Tower was a bit of a bastard. I considered using the moogle charm as it was only allowing me to fight with magic. They were yielding 7-9 points per fight though so I went armed with 99 tinctures/ethers to see me through.

So I beat the Holy Dragon, trudged up countless flights of stairs and faced off against the ghost leader of the weirdo cultists. I was soundly trashing him with non-stop Ultimas until... he cast it himself as he died. Instant death for my whole team. What the hell, game? If you're gonna pull something like that then at least give me a save point before the fight. I had to do the entire tower again! I made sure to cast Life 3 on everyone next time through but still...

I took WK's advice though and have found Umaro and Gogo

Articles
    Blog Entries

If you hadn't already done the Cultists' Tower I would've pointed you to the Economizer; it's an extremely rare item you can find that renders the cost of ALL spells to 1 MP. That paired with Osmose kinda turns the tower into a joke, with the exception of the boss at the end.
    Returners Represent!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Sounds interesting. Where is the Economizer located?

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Found two Economizers now after levelling up in the dinosaur forest.

I've gone overkill with my levelling-up as pretty much every character (barring Umaro and Gogo) are at level 60. They all have lots of spells learnt including Ultima and Flare. I think it's time to attempt Kefka's Tower!

I think I'm still missing two or three dragons, no idea where they are. Gau has a tonne of rages (though not all, I don't think), Strago has some of his lores and Mog has all of his dances.

I'd say I'm good to go, yes?
    Last edited by Bubba; 08-04-2017 at 11:28 AM.

The two last dragons are in Kefka's Tower You seem good to go!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Lovely stuff!

I know it's a split-party final dungeon but I'm pretty confident I can see this through.

Memento Mori Site Contributor Wolf Kanno's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Honestly, you're actually overleveled for the final dungeon. Go kick Kefka's ass!

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    I've gone overkill with my levelling-up as pretty much every character (barring Umaro and Gigi) are at level 60. They all have lots of spells learnt including Ultima and Flare.
    Looks like a good point to me. I can't remember exactly how high my main characters were leveled when I attempted the final boss, but I'm pretty sure you're higher than I was and I beat him my 1st attempt.
    I'm a water dude, jet skis, water pools
    Surfin' the (waaaave), I'm hurtin' the (waaaave)...
    "Oh Yes" ~ Juelz Santana

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

...and the clown is down!

I think it helped that every one of my characters knew Ultima. Plus, having a character equipped with a Gem Box and an Economiser made them ridiculously destructive. I definitely went overboard with the levelling (as I did in FFX) but it was lots of fun mowing down all comers.

The ending was great! I loved how it gave you a curtain-call for each of your team in an escape-the-dungeon montage. It definitely cements its place in my top three FF games.

That brings the total of numbered entries I've completed up to... six. Huh, that's still not a lot. Oh well... on to FFIX!