Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Cool My Superhero Can Beat Up Your Superhero

I'm making a thread for this because we were spiraling the other thread rather offtopic with all of our superhero debate.

PREVIOUSLY ON "MY SUPERHERO CAN BEAT UP YOUR SUPERHERO"
    • Is Batman overrated, or has Pike just lost it completely?
    • Does Superman have his moments (In the one corner: MILF and Del, in the other: everyone else)
    • Will Spidey continue to be everyone's sentimental favorite?
    • Where do the X-Men fit into all of this? And is Pike the only one who likes Iron Man? And is it only because she's hot for the robot suit?

Find out the answers to these questions and MORE in... MY SUPERHERO CAN BEAT UP YOUR SUPERHERO!

Blood In The Water sharkythesharkdogg's Avatar

Iron Man is cool. Just not the coolest.

The X-Men will always be awesome.

I'll give a nod to MILF that Supes can be good if the story is written well, but with his type of character doing that is HARD, and creating a long term story arc that stays compelling is almost impossible. He's a great concept that is just difficult to keep interesting.

Batman has always been interesting to me, and probably always will.

Spidey will always be my favorite. He has all those qualities that myself and so many other awkward nerds like to believe they have too. It really is like watching what we'd like to think we'd become were we given his powers.

What is the best hero vs. villain story arc?

Spiderman against Venom and Carnage will always be one of my favorites.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I don't think Batman is overrated, unless he's considered the best ever. Batman is great, but second to Spider-Man. What makes Batman so great are two things. First, his intelligence. Without powers, Batman has to rely on his wits and good ol' fashion detective work to solve crimes. Rather than charging into whatever warehouse has gunshots coming from it, he has to formulate strategy and apply tactics to turn situations where he is horribly out-gunned to his favor. This is unique among the super-heroes, and the fact that he is a critical member of the Justice League despite having no powers shows a lot about the character he possesses. The Dark Knight atmosphere surrounding him also helps by making him mysterious.

The second best thing about Batman is his rogue's gallery. It simply is the best of any hero. The Joker may be the greatest villain in any media of all time, depending on the portrayal. He is the anthesis of Batman, more so than any other hero-villain combination. Joker does not exist without Batman while Batman does not exist without Joker. The other villains are also great, although they are pretty gimmicky in their early portrayals. That's the downside of Batman. There have been so many campy versions of him in his early days as well as the non-Burton or Nolan movies that it's hard to appreciate the true nature of the characters.

I already answered the question about Superman in the other thread: but yes, he has his moments. Basically any story that focuses on the idea of superheros and features Superman in the lead will be a great story, because he is the idea of superheros.

Spidey will always be my favorite. He's not the strongest or the smartest or the bravest, but those things all work in his favor. He is what would happen if any of us got super powers in a fantasy setting. He's an average kid, with average kid problems. Keep a job, get a girlfriend, don't piss off your aunt. Where most secret identities are really there to mask the hero, Peter Parker is an actual real character in the series. In fact, I'd say the focus is about 50/50 between Peter's problems and Spider-Man's problems whereas you care about Bruce Wayne what, like 5% of the time if that? It's also great when the problems of the two identities interact which is most of the time. Spidey's rogues gallery is impressive, not only in their variety but the fact that most of them are actual characters in Peter's life. Brock, Connors, the Osborns, they are not just there for Spidey to fight, they are actual characters that get to know and maybe even feel sorry for.

I never really liked Iron Man before the movie. To me, he was just a member of the Avengers. I really liked Tony Stark in the movie, but I always thought the comic one was a bit more stiff. Is that not true?

The X-Men are the greatest super hero team. The Justice League and Avengers may be stronger and get the 'A-team' label, but they are just a bunch of heroes stuck together while the X-Men is a true team. They also deal with one of the most interesting plot elements in comic history: social acceptance of those that are different from us. While inventing powers just to call them 'mutant powers' may be a cop-out, it does leave the door open for some interesting possibilities. What is also great is that the characterization of each member feels very unique and genuine in the X-books, which is tough to do for a whole team. Magneto is one of the greatest villains of all time, and one of the most dangerous, because he actually believes what he is does is right.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

I agree with Del all over about Batman, Superman, and the X-men. I however don't care for Spider-man that much. He seems ok and a bit cheesy to me. Superman despite my dislike of him having about a dozen powers a few oh his stories I have tended to really like like All-Star Superman.

Iron Man? I don't know much about him outside of the movies and the avengers cartoon.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

-Batman is overrated. The only thing he has is his money and his brain which he uses to beat up "thugs" i.e. people in a lower class than him. He's pretentious and quite frankly, smurfed in the head. Mine as well be a villain. He has no real super powers, just a lot of cool gadgets and a butler. Whoopty doo. I like that he is conflicted though.

-Superman is lame. He takes off his glasses and suddenly no one recognizes him? What the hell. Apparently he was based on Harold Llyod. He wears his undies outside of his ridiculous blue tights. Weirdo. At least he actually DOES have super powers.

-Iron Man is another rich white man with brains who like Batman loves to beat on less fortunate people. I'm really not into Capitalistic super heros. He doesn't actually have super powers either unless he's using his serum stuff and suit.

-Captain America...yeah don't even get me started. -_-

-Spiderman has actual super powers. He is intelligent, but uses his intelligence to make decisions that help people, not weapons that hurt them. He comes from a blue collar background which makes him more American than any of those guys above. He is also a lot more human than most super heroes. You get a sense that, like with Batman, there is a lot of internal struggle within.

He isn't the typical super hero. He's not rich and certainly not all knowing and all powerful. He also doesn't always get the girl and when he does bad things tend to happen to them. He's one of the unfortunate ones as opposed to Batman, Iron Man, etc. who are fortunate. In fact, he happens to make a life out of helping people who are also unfortunate while fighting against people who may or may not be rich. Some of the villains he's up against are wealthy and smart scientists. Peter Parker is completely anti-hero. I love it. The only thing I dislike about Spiderman is that his jokes are corny. :/

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The best story of Supes is when Doomsday kills him. And then they go and smurf up Doomsday. Otherwise he's bland.

Also, Marvel > DC.

And Iron Man is awesome; he's Batman with booze. Booze makes everything better.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Editor

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny View Post
    -Batman is overrated. The only thing he has is his money and his brain which he uses to beat up "thugs" i.e. people in a lower class than him. He's pretentious and quite frankly, smurfed in the head. Mine as well be a villain. He has no real super powers, just a lot of cool gadgets and a butler. Whoopty doo. I like that he is conflicted though.

-Iron Man is another rich white man with brains who like Batman loves to beat on less fortunate people. I'm really not into Capitalistic super heros. He doesn't actually have super powers either unless he's using his serum stuff and suit.

-Spiderman has actual super powers. He is intelligent, but uses his intelligence to make decisions that help people, not weapons that hurt them. He comes from a blue collar background which makes him more American than any of those guys above.[/quote]

You're saying that Batman and Iron Man beat up thugs like they're doing it because they're less wealthy than they are. Spiderman's webbing can definitely hurt somebody and the other two do also use their resources to help other people too. That's what a super hero does. Being broke doesn't make someone American being born and living here does. I don't feel like there's a lifestyle or status that has to be set to be considered a true citizen of a country.

He isn't the typical super hero. He's not rich and certainly not all knowing and all powerful. He also doesn't always get the girl and when he does bad things tend to happen to them. He's one of the unfortunate ones as opposed to Batman, Iron Man, etc. who are fortunate.[/quote]
    I don't any of those guys really can be classified as fortunate. Peter's parents died and were regarded to be traitors of their country and he lost his uncle. Batman has lost both of his parents at a young age too and it sort of messed with his head. Iron Man was kidnapped and tortured and has a drinking problem.

In fact, he happens to make a life out of helping people who are also unfortunate while fighting against people who may or may not be rich. Some of the villains he's up against are wealthy and smart scientists. Peter Parker is completely anti-hero. I love it. The only thing I dislike about Spiderman is that his jokes are corny. :/
    You're saying that like the other two don't do the same. I agree about his jokes being corny.

I feel like reading this:

http://www.dccomics.com/media/produc...74_400x600.jpg

Reading this thread makes me feel this way. I keep it wrapped up, but I read it once in a blue moon. trolololol.

In during Batman is underhyped.

Batman prep time > Justice League.

Proven fax.

absolutely haram Recognized Member Madame Adequate's Avatar

FFXIV Character

Hiero Dule (Brynhildr)
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I used to like Iron Man, until Civil War.

Then again I used to like Marvel until Civil War.

Also I guess I might catch some flak for this but I've never been a huge fan of Spidey. Which isn't to say I DON'T like him - I do - but I don't understand why he's one of the absolute top-tier superheroes of all time and everyone knows him. He's always struck me as more Moon Knight-tier than Batman-tier, in terms of how popular and well-known and beloved I'd expect him to be.

Best hero who uses brains rather than brawn: Spider Jerusalem
    Best hero I don't agree with: Rorschach
    Best avatar of death: Death (Sandman)
    Best two-fisted action hero: Judge Dredd
    Best everyman thrust into a position that tests him: Rick Grimes
    Best comic ever: Transmetropolitan
    Best oftentimes mediocre hero with some absolute gems: Superman
    Comic that brought home the horrors of the Holocaust more than any other account, whether personal or fictionalized, in any media, ever: Maus

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Quote Originally Posted by Kokichi View Post
    I remember when that came out and it was a big freaking deal.

What the bliff Recognized Member
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

Perhaps I should've specified: fortunate meaning well-off financially.

Iron Man had/has daddy issues on top of chronic narcissism. This is way too typical to be interesting. How many super heroes can you name that have narcissistic personalities and/or angry at their daddies? Oh hi, Thor. Batman's and Spiderman's issues are not very typical although some of Spiderman's problems are easier for the common man to relate to.

Ghost 'n' Stuff NorthernChaosGod's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by I'm my own MILF View Post
    I used to like Iron Man, until Civil War.

Then again I used to like Marvel until Civil War.
    I hate how Civil War was handled. >:[

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I once had a dream about a superhero who was made of radio-active cheese... you could smell him coming a mile off.

...and he kind of looked like that strange guy from the Lurpak adverts.

I need to stop eating cheese before bed.

Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernChaosGod View Post
    Also, Marvel > DC.
    I knew there was a reason we were bromantically involved.

I love Iron Man, I just don't like the person within the suit.

I personally don't like Superman; I know he's pretty much THE first superhero but he's so damn overrated. I guess I get too logical with my superheroes; I don't understand how a mere pair of glasses and a change of clothing can completely hide someone's identity? And lets face it, that costume is not the best, underwear made out of spandex? no thank-you. I guess with nowadays scraping for hero ideas that it's made me think back to Superman and see how.. well lame he is. I'm not a fan of Wonder Woman and the like, either so it all goes hand-in-hand really.

Spiderman, I can admit, is a sentimental thing but I can't say I much like him either. I always thought he was a bit pathetic when it came into comparison with others and sort of reminds me of the Green Lantern who I also think is really lame.. Comic book wise and film wise they're both a bit crap.

Batman will always be my favourite along with X-Men. I think in a fight if Batman teamed up with any of the X-Men y'all be screw-ed psssh.