Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any "Board Game Geeks" here?

Articles
    Blog Entries

Love board games but haven't played too much lately. Growing up I was really into Stratego, Risk, and Monopoly. Now my family plays a lot of Scrabble so I get it on it every now and then when i get home. I checked out and played a bunch of games of Catan a little while ago and had a blast. I think EoFF risk would be insanely epic if we could find something to do it on, except I'm not sure if I could understand all you damn Brits, me and rocket edge had to give up on communication during CoD becasue I couldn't get his damn accent

You know, in Scrabble there are entire books dedicated to tips like how to use a Q without a U. They include words like Qat, Qabbala, Tranq, and Qaids.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

MILF and I end up doing "Qi" about 90% of the time.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Yes, because waiting to get 3 a's and 2 b's will be a lot quicker than waiting for a u.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

I LOVE Boggle. I have an app for it on my phone.

I also love Risk, Monopoly, and chess, though I have not played the latter much in years so am probably very rusty.

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Strategy games bore me I lose my patience and I just end up going on a suicide mission eventually trying to wreck as much havoc as I can on my way down.

I like party games such as Alias and Pictionary. or basically any game where you have to talk, draw or mime something. I also like games that gets you out of the couch, in whichever way that may be.

I also like the color blue, and brussel sprouts.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    I also like the color blue,
    I don't know why that reminded me of this specifically, and I don't even care that it's only slightly related to the topic, but

I once played Celebrity Heads (I hope it has the same name everywhere) and I was the colour blue. wat

Also in that same game someone was Michael Jackson and they asked if they were black and it was the most awkward silence ever.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I played the war game Samurai Swords (formerly Shogun) tonight. Got slammed by round 2 since I was stuck between the other two players.

Quote Originally Posted by APolaris View Post
    You know, in Scrabble there are entire books dedicated to tips like how to use a Q without a U. They include words like Qat, Qabbala, Tranq, and Qaids.
    The fact that such a book exists is an indication of the problem. I don't need a book to tell me how to use my other letters.

Qabbala is probably invalid in standard Scrabble, BTW. It may be the original Hebrew definition, but most English dictionaries I've seen (required for Scrabble play) spell it Kabbalah, and don't include the "Q" spelling (ooh, and it's a proper noun, always capitalized, so, invalid). Also, "Tranq" is unallowed, as I can't find it in any dictionary I have (including dictionary.com), except possibly as an abbreviation for Tranquilizer, which is, again, invalid. So, yeah, half of your examples, invalid. Kind of, again, proving my point.

"Q" is still way too much of a pain in the butt.

Even the crossword nuts I play with agree that the lone "Q" is just too troublesome to use.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.

Clue... I've been trying to create new versions. They've been inventing themed Clues. They have a Star Wars themed Risk.

I like games that require more than the roll of the dice. Luck is a fine tool for deciding a winner... sometimes, but I'd rather feel I earned my place.
    There was an episode of the Middle where the mother tried to make the best of a horrible situation by suggesting the family play a board game comprised of whatever they had left of the scrambled boardgames they brought.
    I like the idea of combining board games. It's kind of like Cranium except you toss in whatever other game you may feel like substituting (like boggle or twister). I also like anything that teaches you or requires previous knowledge of trivia (I pretty much waste half a full day on Wikipedia and Television Tropes anyway)...

Quote Originally Posted by Jiro View Post
    Also in that same game someone was Michael Jackson and they asked if they were black and it was the most awkward silence ever.
    If someone didn't get the answer after that, I'd be very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Skyblade View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by APolaris View Post
    The fact that such a book exists is an indication of the problem. I don't need a book to tell me how to use my other letters.

Qabbala is probably invalid in standard Scrabble, BTW. It may be the original Hebrew definition, but most English dictionaries I've seen (required for Scrabble play) spell it Kabbalah, and don't include the "Q" spelling (ooh, and it's a proper noun, always capitalized, so, invalid). Also, "Tranq" is unallowed, as I can't find it in any dictionary I have (including dictionary.com), except possibly as an abbreviation for Tranquilizer, which is, again, invalid. So, yeah, half of your examples, invalid. Kind of, again, proving my point.

"Q" is still way too much of a pain in the butt.

Even the crossword nuts I play with agree that the lone "Q" is just too troublesome to use.
    We should probably notify the people at the National Scrabble Championship, then.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I remember hearing a news story about how Scrabble was opening it up to proper nouns as well. I thought it was a travesty.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

I like boardgame-online! And Triple triad.

OH AND I LOVE SKIPBO! and Uno and those kind of card games. And sudoku and word games and majhong (spelling)

Sudoku is neat. I met the inventor of sudoku at the Brooklyn cherry blossom festival in April and got his autograph in two books. Sudoku itself has gotten too easy for me though, except the most advanced puzzles, so now I do a variant: the sumdoku. In that variation, you start with a totally blank sudoku grid, with a few squares blocked off, and their sum is noted. These sums encompass all of the squares and you have to reason them out. It helps to be good at kakuro before you try it, as it helps you remember the basic sums (for instance, 4 numbers summing 29 must be 9, 8, 7, 5 if you're not allowed to repeat any).

Blog Entries

I love Mahjong but i've never had a game with real tiles

Scrabble is fun too as is Chinese Chess. Western Chess is ok.
    Kefka's coming, look intimidating!
    Have a nice day!!