Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any "Board Game Geeks" here?

Default Any "Board Game Geeks" here?

I'm sort of a board/card gamer as well as a console gamer. To be more specific, I play checkers, backgammon, reversi, hearts, spades, and scrabble, and am learning go. In fact I'm one of the top rated legit checkers players on yahoo games. I also enjoy a few older war-type board games like the Axis & Allies series, Samurai Swords, and Risk.

I'm also becoming something of a modern board/card game geek lately, since it seems that to remain competitive, people are coming up with some bloody brilliant (and bloody difficult!) board games that really stimulate your mind. I play many of these with friends of the family roughly every 1-2 weeks. Some of my favorites so far include Seven Wonders, Settlers of Catan (Knights & Barbarians), Agricola, Le Havre, and Kingsburg. On the card game side, there's this neat fantasy-themed variant on Dominion called Thunderstone I've been learning lately.

So, wondering... are there any other card/board game geeks here?

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I love Risk!!

I'm a horrible Chess player, I just don't have the patience for it. I played Settlers of Catan for the first time a few months ago, and I thought it was ok. People really seem to love it though.

Of course Monopoly is an all time fav.

Articles
    Blog Entries

I will kill all of you in Risk.

I would love to play you in draughts (Checkers) or Backgammon sometime. I'm a pretty decent draughts player and I'm alright at Backgammon too.

One of the top rated eh? I was very high when I used to play on Zone, I think I could take you!

Catan is overshadowed by the strategic brilliance that is Puerto Rico

But I love it.

That and Betrayal at The House On the Hill
    Arkham Horror
    Descent

... yea love board games.

Slothstronaut Recognized Member Slothy's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I was never huge into board games with the exception of Risk and Monopoly (despite it's lame endgame), but I'd recommend checking out any of the games here: Sirlin Games - Welcome

I've got both Flash Duel and Puzzle Strike and they're a hell of a lot of fun, and very well made and designed games. I plan on grabbing Yomi eventually as well but haven't had the chance yet.

I've been meaning to check out stuff like Settlers of Catan for years as well but don't know anyone locally who plays a lot of board or card games. Plus some friends got me into Warhammer 40k a few months back and, well, I aint made of money.

EDIT: I've found out that Seven Wonders is actually playable online. Unfortunately it's on a relatively less-than-busy site where the navigation is entirely in French, but the game itself is playable without reading if you know how to play already.

Quote Originally Posted by Araciel View Post
    Catan is overshadowed by the strategic brilliance that is Puerto Rico
    Isn't Puerto Rico the one that was #1 on boardgamegeek for like 5 years before Agricola dethroned it? If it's the one I'm thinking of, the last time I played it was over a year ago and I remember something about hoarding corn onto a ship.

Quote Originally Posted by Crop View Post
    I would love to play you in draughts (Checkers) or Backgammon sometime. I'm a pretty decent draughts player and I'm alright at Backgammon too.

One of the top rated eh? I was very high when I used to play on Zone, I think I could take you!
    Well, we can play on yahoo sometime, or over an instant messenger if you like. Although I should warn you that my legit zone rating (when I played there ten years ago) was around 2150, which is also roughly where my yahoo rating peaked. My favorite openings are the defiance, fife and ayrshyre lassie. Ok, that's a lie, my favorite opening is really 9-14 with red, but I only play that against people whose skills I greatly respect. My backgammon skills, and those in every other game except spades, are fairly tame in comparison.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I like dominoes. Actually I like board games quite a bit, but I haven't played many of the ones you're talking about.

Signature by rubah. I think.

Dominoes is also playable on yahoo. You can play it with double sixes or double nines, to 100, 250 or 500, and with or without "fives up." I always play with fives up.

Feel the Bern Administrator Del Murder's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Administrator
    • Hosted the Ciddies

My favorite board games:

Boggle
    Stratego
    Risk
    Monopoly
    Tripoley
    Scattergories
    Taboo
    Scrabble
    Jenga

Boggle may actually be my favorite because it's kind of like a treasure hunt. Though Taboo is really fun if you have a group. Stratego is also good but after a while you learn each other's methods and it becomes predictable.

Proud to be the Unofficial Secret Illegal Enforcer of Eyes on Final Fantasy!
    When I grow up, I want to go to Bovine Trump University! - Ralph Wiggum

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

I used to play a bucketload of board games when I was younger, but lately not so much. That said, MILF and I play Scrabble together on occasion. We usually do silly things like help each other out or sacrifice victories in order to ensure that one of us is able to make some ridiculously long and complicated word.

Stratego is the best game ever. You can play that online somewhere, right? I'm going to find online Stratego and play the heck out of it.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

I found this wonderfully racist boardgame online once. I'm a fan of boardgames though, it's always a nice change of pace.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

That game was made by a black man.

Yes Puerto Rico deals with the production and shipping of goods - corn being the least valuable of them. I prefer it to every other game I've played (including Agricola) because of the differing machines you can make to produce your goods out of what's available. As well as the advanced strategy which you can plan many turns in advance, there is only one small element of randomness and the rest is decided by the players, which means it's skill against skill for the most part.

Trivial Pursuit is one of my all-time favorites. Scrabble is fun, though I usually modify the rules (bonus points for geeky words, and names are allowed if they are cool/obscure enough. Also, J is way too hard to use, much harder than Z, since it almost always occurs at the beginning of a word, and Q really needs to be Qu). Oh, and I recently did a revamp to the rules of Clue that makes the game quite a bit better overall.
    My friend Delzethin is currently running a GoFundMe account to pay for some extended medical troubles he's had. He's had chronic issues and lifetime troubles that have really crippled his career opportunities, and he's trying to get enough funding to get back to a stable medical situation. If you like his content, please support his GoFundMe, or even just contribute to his Patreon.

He can really use a hand with this, and any support you can offer is appreciated.