Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Private parts

Shlup's Retired Pimp Recognized Member Raistlin's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor

Oh man, I can find pages of stuff by googling Amanda's name. I wonder what her students think of her EoFF antics.

Quote Originally Posted by Psychotic View Post

What's your new job anyway, CSD?
    Not saying until they announce it, then I can explain. (Again, a problem of just incase I get traced to here!) Nothing exciting, really.

It's more an issue of me wanting to be open and talk about stuff online, stuff I'd talk about with friends, but obviously online anyone could see it! It's not like I'd go around naming people if I had a bad day at work or anything damaging, but if someone put a couple of hours into it they could link me to his username and anyone could find "my" conversations with friends. An average person probably wouldn't go through that much effort, but someone has done that to my stuff before and it really makes me hold back when I post. They saw old stupid online dramas and knew loads of stuff that I hadn't told them yet but would probably have eventually because none of that stuff matterred anyway, but it wasn't on my terms.

I used to love forums because you'd be talking with like-minded people about a common interest, but that's made me feel rather vulnerable and wary and I haven't stuck around on a forum since because I feel like I'm looking over my shoulder all the time. I'm not worried about work, I don't think they'd care. I just really miss that sense of community that forums have and I'd like to not have to worry about friends etc finding stuff that's said in my "me time". It's just so much easier to say what you want on your own terms online... except not anymore.

The new job making me slightly more public doesn't bother me, It's just the knowledge that that makes it faster and easier for a certain type of person to track down slightly more casual and personal snippets about you that bothers me.

Facebook is personal, I share family holiday photos etc. Twitter is public, I'll share the one flattering photo of me doing something impressive. Forums are a big party/ wedding type situation where it's fun to make new friends and chat with while having a drink and feeling relaxed, but I don't feel relaxed because I feel like someone is listening in or talking about you even if the conversation ultimately doesn't matter, and that puts me on edge.

Does that make sense? I guess it's just plain ol' paranoia *sigh*

Trying to get over that by posting about it I guess

sly gypsy Recognized Member Levian's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I used to be more reserved about this in the past, but I stopped caring a while ago. I don't mind eoffers on facebook and I don't mind if friends see me browsing EoFF. The only things I mind are having my full name written here or anywhere besides facebook, for reasons Miriel listed. And also having people call me Levian on facebook, that just makes me look übernerdy in front of my friends.

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Administrator
    • Former Cid's Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    Oh man, I can find pages of stuff by googling Amanda's name. I wonder what her students think of her EoFF antics.
    I had it down to less than a page, but Google+ is an asshole, so now I'm all over that and every picture I ever put on my blog comes up. I changed my name there to my maiden name, so that should help. I also added a word replacement to EoFF for my last name some time ago, so at least no more direct links to EoFF show up. I smurfing hate pipl.com though.

FFXIV Character

Caedus Ulvein (Sargatanas)

I don't have online friends and irl friends. I talk to friends that I've met online way more than the friends that I have offline. It's not necessarily that I like them better, it's just much easier to talk to them because we have a lot of similar interests whereas the friends I have offline are all into getting drunk all the damn time and smoking pot and scoring chicks and what have you. The friends I made while I was in the military were all mostly married so I could hang out with them a lot, but now I'm back home with a bunch of people who still haven't matured. :C

My online and offline lives aren't separate. As a matter of fact, friends I've met online over the last couple of years know more about what's going on in my life than do the friends I've had since high school.

Articles

FFXIV Character

Althalor Lightpike (Excalibur)
    Contributions
    • Former Editor
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Social Media Manager

Dancing Chocobo

To clarify I can understand the concern about the "real name" thing, a bit. I'm different because I have one of the most common names in the country. You can put my first, middle, and last name into Google, go through the first hundred pages, and I won't be there. I know this because I got bored once and checked.

Even if that weren't the case for me, though, I STILL don't think I'd care, personally. But I understand if others do.

But yeah as many have said, friends are friends. I don't see how having a bunch of "internet people" on my Facebook is any different than having a bunch of cousins/old classmates on there whom I haven't seen in years and talk to much less than I talk to you guys.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

Psychotic's last name is (SPOILER)Walrus

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Very VIP person Tech Admin Rantz's Avatar
    Articles

Quote Originally Posted by Levian View Post
    I used to be more reserved about this in the past, but I stopped caring a while ago. I don't mind eoffers on facebook and I don't mind if friends see me browsing EoFF. The only things I mind are having my full name written here or anywhere besides facebook, for reasons Miriel listed. And also having people call me Levian on facebook, that just makes me look übernerdy in front of my friends.
    Yeah, all of this. Especially the facebook thing, I hate when people call me Levian on facebook

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

Huh, weird. I love being called Rantz Rantz Revolution on Facebook.

Eggstreme Wheelie Recognized Member Jiro's Avatar
    Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Former Editor
    • Notable contributions to former community wiki

So when I become brave enough to add Levian on Facebook, I will have to remember that he has a real name.

They see me rolling. They hating, patrolling.
    Trying to catch me riding dirty.

Well, offline and online life are separated for me, because I play games that friends/classmates don't like very much, because of the graphics (Example: Final Fantasy) and visit forums that they don't, so my friends/classmates might find it funny or something when I visit/play such things.
    I guess they are graphics whores. I like the "old but gold" stuff since 2009. So, I prefer not connecting forums with Facebook or whatever. I'm still young and so are my friends, gotta remain stylish or something. Forums and video games are like a getaway from public life.

...you hot, salty nut! Recognized Member fire_of_avalon's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I never talk to Lev on fb because his language has more consonants than i'm accustomed to and it makes me nervous.

Signature by rubah. I think.

permanently mitten
    Goddess of Snacks
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight

I don't think I have any EoFFers on my Facebook except for Del Murder. But I've only lately begun to really use facebook, and a lot of that is for networking/business purposes. I don't even think I've ever searched for other EoFFer's on Facebook. I don't know most of your full names.

I would add Levia to facebook, but only if he lets me call him Levia. Or more specially, Leviaaaa!!

Articles
    Blog Entries
    Contributions
    • Former Cid's Knight
    • Hosted the Ciddies

I will let you call me Levia if you turn the v upside down and place it one spot to the right, followed by adding a D to the end of everything and then typing out the whole name backwards.

But yeah, foa has it right. I'm pretty useless to have as a facebook friend as I just write in consonants mostly :/

Meh. I lied when I told my parents I was going to Arizona for 10 days. If I would have told them I was going to see a girl I met on the Internet I would have never heard the end of it.